Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Formula 1 2021

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
scorpont

Re: Formula 1 2021

Post by scorpont » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:31 pm

2e1var wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:35 am
Brilliant Sprint (not) Race, couple of laps in Lewis got the knack of holding off for the last few corners, his closing speed was epic, great to watch and should set him up well for the race. Need a clean first few laps for Lewis and a DNF for Max now please, sadly I think that's the only way Lewis can take the championship. From interviews this week Lewis was talking about making sure that they got the constructors, hope he's not accepting 2nd place in the drivers.
I think I'd like to see the Sprints a little longer, maybe make the tyres a bit of a factor, not necessarily a pit stop but in the F2 they have to manage the tyres to some extent. I think Bottas was approaching the limit.
Alternatively, we could continue to enjoy a fair championship fought on the track. Been a while since I could get really invested in the Championship fight. Must admit I'm not rooting for Hamilton, but to see either of them DNF from this point would ruin the battle for me - and I'm sure neither of them want to see a DNF on either side.

Dean.E

Post by Dean.E » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:45 pm

plmc135 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:20 pm
Like or loathe Horner, it is clear that his complaint to the stewards was fully justified and Mercedes were up to no good. Rules are there for a reason, break them and you pay the penalty.
I trust you are referring to the rear wing which had damage,and wasn’t done on purpose!
Christian Horner is a little winging baby,just like max von strap on.

seven

Post by seven » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:35 pm

plmc135 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:20 pm
Like or loathe Horner, it is clear that his complaint to the stewards was fully justified and Mercedes were up to no good. Rules are there for a reason, break them and you pay the penalty.
You might want to do some research first. The DRS flap failed the test due to a breakage/incorrectly assembled actuator, which the stewards have to penalise for, even though chances are it would have failed during one of the races anyway. Similar situation with Vettel post Hungary. And it was newey that went to the stewards, not horny horner. As you say Mercedes were up to no good this time around, I assume you agree red bull were up to no good around Spain/Azerbaijan then?
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

seven

Post by seven » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:37 pm

Dean.E wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:45 pm
You are my spirit animal.

:lol: :lol: :thumb:

scorpont

Post by scorpont » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:42 pm

Dean.E wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:45 pm

Not like Toto himself 'winged' about Red Bulls rear wing flex earlier in the season which was legal :whistle: almost as if it's a tactic used when trailing in a championship fight by all of the teams, not just Red Bull.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:17 pm

C'mom guys. Cheating, apart from Ferrari that is in 2019 just doesn't happen. Because it is bound to be found out. A liberal application of the regulations, perhaps, or a technical failure may be seen to be cheating, but it isn't really, because it can be exposed. Cheating by drivers??? well, that is another kettle of fish.

scorpont

Post by scorpont » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:23 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:17 pm
C'mom guys. Cheating, apart from Ferrari that is in 2019 just doesn't happen. Because it is bound to be found out. A liberal application of the regulations, perhaps, or a technical failure may be seen to be cheating, but it isn't really, because it can be exposed. Cheating by drivers??? well, that is another kettle of fish.
Exactly, most teams that end up caught out by the regulations do so when they (like Merc) design their parts to the limit of the regs and something unintentional happens - or when they find a loophole that the FIA isn't happy to let slide

seven

Post by seven » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:36 pm

scorpont wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:42 pm

Not like Toto himself 'winged' about Red Bulls rear wing flex earlier in the season which was legal :whistle: almost as if it's a tactic used when trailing in a championship fight by all of the teams, not just Red Bull.
The 'legal rear wing which was never used again after the FIA directive you mean? ;)

Dean.E

Post by Dean.E » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:49 pm

Any how,who the feck drinks Red Bull,tried it with a few shots but it’s disgusting stuff and stinks.
Energy drink,I see youths drinking it going to school,what’s going on there,full of caffeine amongst over stuff.

scorpont

Post by scorpont » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:10 pm

Dean.E wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:49 pm
Any how,who the feck drinks Red Bull,tried it with a few shots but it’s disgusting stuff and stinks.
Energy drink,I see youths drinking it going to school,what’s going on there,full of caffeine amongst over stuff.
As a youth, I don't bloomin' get it either. Tastes like I imagine engine oil would taste - stuff's vile

seven

Post by seven » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:22 pm

I beg to differ, I love the taste, albeit small cans only, the big ones go off quicker than you can sensibly drink it. But yea, I don't see the point in them, maybe its 'cool', I'm not down with the youth of today ;)

scorpont

Post by scorpont » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:45 pm

Well that was immense, championship is well and truly still alive. This could go to Abu Dhabi, mental

seven

Post by seven » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:51 pm

Keep the spoilers out for now! But yea, wow, another decent race. Not a patch on yesterday, but thats much better.

Dean.E

Post by Dean.E » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:01 pm

Cracking race,the driver with the biggest gap

in his teeth won😉

seven

Post by seven » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:59 pm

And Hamilton has been called to the stewards again....

Update, €5k fine with €20k suspended.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:18 pm

Yes, fined for undoing his seat belts whilst the car was in motion. Silly thing to do, but understandable given his enthusiasm. Don't suppose the $25,000 will damage his savings too much!. Brilliant drive, brilliant week-end, usual dubious tactics by Max, who obviously watches all the replays of Michael Schumacher's 'sporting' moves' during his days off. [I'm not a Michael Schumacher fan. but am desperately sorry about the deal fate dealt him]. Roll on next week-end. Write LH off at your peril!!!.

seven

Post by seven » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:18 pm

I will say I agree with the fine/visit to the stewards under normal circumstances, (it being himself which has made it be highlighted previously) but with the rest of the decisions this weekend regarding mad max, I'd say this time was grossly unfair. Especially more so when you consider Leclerc was not punished at all for undoing his belts MID RACE back in Spain last year, when he thought he was going to have to retire(then completed 2 laps before being told to pit to do them back up, and subsequently retiring).

And I will say I think the Lewis we know is back, though I'm not convinced quite how much yet. The championship however, still boy wonder's to lose IMO. All well and good being back on form, when your biggest rival has a faster car, qualifies higher and/or has a better start, bulletproof reliability and perfect pit stops every time, how are you supposed to fight that!? And thats before the race officials decide they don't like you ;)

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:55 am

What a race, best I've seen in years, helped by so much being at stake. Three to go with 14 points in it, a win for Lewis at the next 2 with Max 2nd would put it level going into the season finale. Time for Bottas to step up I think.
Qatar looks like a similar circuit to Brazil in some ways but with one DRS and the 2nd straight having a bend in it. Couple of tight turns in the bendy part so the Mercs may be able to follow if Bulls are ahead.
Saudi looks fairly fast and following with some decent straightish bits so may suit Merc, not sure about it's width. I'm sure I heard somewhere it's the fastest street circuit ever.
With the exception of Max in 2020 Merc have taken it every year since 2014, I would say that the way the 2021 changes have affected Merc more than Red Bull they had the upper hand for that one but a couple of twisty bits at the end of straights have been changed for much tighter turns so should create some over taking.
Game on.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Airspy R2/Mini/SDR#, RSP1A/SDR Uno

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:04 am

What a race that was!!!!. I think that Mercedes have been putting more effort [and money] into developing the 2022 car rather than updating the current one, whereas the reverse may apply with Red Bull. Either way, a fascinating next few weeks, and roll on 2022!!!!!.

seven

Post by seven » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:29 am

raptor9 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:04 am
I think that Mercedes have been putting more effort [and money] into developing the 2022 car rather than updating the current one, whereas the reverse may apply with Red Bull.
I hope your right!

Still have to moan about the start replays again, with both races. 2 laps on the sprint missed because someone is creaming over Hamiltons start, the the GP itself we go into the start replays having watched Hamilton pass Sainz for 5th, the come out just in time too see Bottas let him though for 3rd... Not good enough considering watching this live in the UK you have to pay for! (Technically)

And again, 'Michael, this is about letting them race', whereas in Silverstone when the boots on the other foot 'you don't put a wheel up the inside of copse'.. some very poor stewards decisions over the weekend I must say. Difficult to understand why a broken DRS actuator constitutes a penalty whilst a rival team is allowed to repair/change damaged parts for a third race in a row.

Qatar I'm not convinced will suit Mercedes. red bull still have the faster car in slow/medium speed corners, which may well suit them over the length of a lap. Then come race day the whole track position/dirty air fiasco will only return.

In Saudi the track isn't even finished yet, so again that could fall into red bulls hands.

Bottas, I must admit my first thought after the first lap was that Mercedes lost this championship by choosing him over Russell for this year.

Return to “General Chat”