Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Electric Cars. Yes No or whatever!

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Malcolm

Re: Electric Cars. Yes No or whatever!

Post by Malcolm » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:10 pm

Tooks wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:51 pm
That and vehicle to grid offers up some creative solutions that may solve as many problems as they bring.
Musk has gone cool on the car battery to grid idea :

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/23/2145 ... -elon-musk

AIUI non of the current crop of electric cars are capable of it, and Musk is saying that even on cars that did have the capability, users weren't interested (just as they weren't interested in battery swap recharge stations). That may change, and I can see that people might like the idea of powering their own homes from their car in the event of a power failure, or if it can be charged off peak and then used during peak. Where I think there will be significant resistance is 'my' car being used to power next door during peak.

Tooks

Post by Tooks » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:18 am

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:10 pm
Tooks wrote:
That and vehicle to grid offers up some creative solutions that may solve as many problems as they bring.

AIUI non of the current crop of electric cars are capable of it, and Musk is saying that even on cars that did have the capability, users weren't interested (just as they weren't interested in battery swap recharge stations). That may change, and I can see that people might like the idea of powering their own homes from their car in the event of a power failure, or if it can be charged off peak and then used during peak. Where I think there will be significant resistance is 'my' car being used to power next door during peak.
Yes, I think given a lot of peoples attachment to their vehicles, vehicle to home has a much bigger chance of getting somewhere!

Hopefully, attitudes will change given enough time I think, the CCS charging standard roadmap at least has plans for V2H and V2G to be introduced. Meanwhile, Gridserve has opened the first of many grid balancing hubs with EV charging as a sideline, and they’re building many more as we speak.

I quite like the idea of where it’s all going.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:00 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56441639

The government is to cut grants aimed at encouraging people to buy electric vehicles in a move that has been criticised by the motor industry.

The Department for Transport will reduce the grant from £3,000 to £2,500 and restrict it to cars under £35,000.

Tooks

Post by Tooks » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:04 pm

I think the grant cut is a good move long term, it should encourage manufacturers to cut the prices of cars to get them under the threshold.

As most cars are leased or PCP’d though, I don’t think it’s going to have as big an impact on take up, it won’t raise monthly payments much at all.

Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:39 am

Malcolm wrote:
Tooks wrote:

It would be a good option, but what about battery power and wear and tear? If the battery itself wears out very quickly from powering the house from the battery, then then invest a lot of money in a replacement?

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:56 pm

Challenger007 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:39 am
Malcolm wrote:
Tooks wrote:

It would be a good option, but what about battery power and wear and tear? If the battery itself wears out very quickly from powering the house from the battery, then then invest a lot of money in a replacement?
Not sure. Most likely better for your battery pack to be cycled every day,
I'm a keen golfer and over the years have used lead acid batteries up to the newer lithium type, my golf cart on old lead acid would get around 350 charge cycles so used 2 or 3 times a week about 3 years. I see a lot of others that do not use there cart say once a week at weekends get less year's of life.
As for the new lithium packs around or over 1000 cycles+ or 5 to 10 years on some.
So cycling the pack each day is a better way, especially if your gaining home use from it or making money from the grid. Rather then just using it for travel and it not being used to its full potential of its life.
If I get 5 years from a pack and use it 3 times a week and my mate is using is once a week but still having to change it after 5 years, I'm getting the better deal.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:10 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-56482777

Quite a bit of testing has been carried out in the area surrounding the Northern Isles, and some of that is now being developed into real life schemes. One thing i forgot about when putting my point across about harnessing tidal energy is the Pentland Firth. It is an area that if the natural energy can be harnessed, it would go a long way to providing a consistent excess supply to the grid after powering the Orkneys and a fair bit of Caithness.

Return to “General Chat”