Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Another Phone Scam

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
baz1

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by baz1 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:48 pm

keep getting Txt from British Gas asking for meter readings with two Mobile numbers to contact texted them straight back and the same txt comes back with my reply written in, also get phone calls about washing Machine warranty run out I tell them I don't have a washing machine then they ask how I do the washing , easy i just chuck some water and wash powder and clothes in the concrete mixer and switch it on.
Comfortably Numb

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:23 am

I just had the "Internet will be cut off scam saying there's illegal activity on my internet , press 1 talk to our executive.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:52 am

Blackcat1 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:23 am
I just had the "Internet will be cut off scam saying there's illegal activity on my internet , press 1 talk to our executive.
We had nearly ten of those last weekend. Started about 7.30 saturday morning :grr: :grr: Even had a couple on the Mobile.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:12 pm

welshandy wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:52 am
Blackcat1 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:23 am
We had nearly ten of those last weekend. Started about 7.30 saturday morning :grr: :grr: Even had a couple on the Mobile.
Yes this was an early call too. Sad people with nothing better to do!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:12 pm

New one for me today. Phone number +44 20 7400 9722 registered in London, saying I was being investigated by the HMRC for tax invasion and that a warrant was out for my arrest. Considering I’m PAYE, registered to vote, have car insurance, registered keeper of a vehicle and pay council tax, I’m pretty sure the police know where I live if they want to arrest me and don’t need a third party to tell me🤣

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:49 am

More calls yesterday :grr:

Landline call purportedly from BT saying our internet would be terminated within 24 hrs, and to press 1: needless to say I didn’t :grr:

1 hr later, wife gets mobile call to tell her her NI number is illegal and proceedings will be taken unless she taps 1: she didn’t :grr:

Scum :grr:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

daggerfan

Post by daggerfan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:43 pm

I've had five calls in the last three days from "Amazon". In a pre-recorded message I have been told in three calls that a payment of £39.99 will be taken from an Amazon Prime account, and press 1 to stop the payment. In the other calls a "suspicious purchase" has been made on my Prime account (an iPhone at over £1,000). I don't have an Amazon Prime account! The calls have shown on my caller display as a mix of "International" and "Unavailable".

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:06 pm

paddyboy wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:49 am

1 hr later, wife gets mobile call to tell her her NI number is illegal and proceedings will be taken unless she taps 1: she didn’t :grr:
Had a similar one to Paddy - call from Action Fraud, the National Fraud Office on 07771 835777 informing me my National Insurance number has been suspended due to an ongoing fraud investigation and to press 1 to be connected to an investigator

By pure coincidence I am currently completing an internal investigation and liaising with Action Fraud and initially thought this call was them requesting further information

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Phone scams, Facebook hacks and dog napping !! What the matter with people!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:13 am

Have not read all of thread so might have missed this.Arrived today via text telling me my Paypal service had been restricted for my safety and if I didnt click on Paypallogin960.com it would be suspended.

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:25 am

Should have said it had the https bit at the beginning .Not sure how that works as I thought that was for secure sites.Phoned Paypal they have no record of contacting me.

Supra

Post by Supra » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:25 am

Condor68 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:41 am
Just had 2 today one allegedly HMRC ,on a Saturday? My daughter fell for that one last year and took ages to get her money back.The other was allegedly Sky teling me the my Sky insurance for the box was due for renewal.I explained politely that I didnt have Sky then asked if he would mind doing something for me.Sucked himin brilliantly as he said shouldnt be a problem.Then told him to P~/? off and leave me alone.Shocked silence then click. Dont think the call came from these shores due to transmission delays ut might just have been cheap kit.
Just a cautionary tale relating to your previously posted experience & "advisory comment" regarding Urinating off!. Clearly these events are viewed at best as a personal invasion of privacy, at worst as a personal attack? :grr: I once responded to a call on my Landline with a rather substantial burst of 'toilet words' which caused the caller to hang-up...Job done. WRONG!
He made a note of my number & obviously circulated it among his colleagues who called me from different numbers about 6 times a day for over a week whenever they had a minute spare. :'( A valuable lesson learned. I now prefer a "bite your tongue" technical approach. ;)

Rugbyref

Post by Rugbyref » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:58 am

Use a call shield. So peaceful!

richkc135

Post by richkc135 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:28 pm

I am a bit old fashioned and use AOL e-Mail and just received one allegedly from AOL letting me know that there is a new version of AOL classie e-mail from the 4th.DO NOT respond to this,it is bogus,phony
I checked using a verified e-mail address and was informed that this is a scam.Be warned.

Return to “General Chat”