Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Nicola Sturgeon?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Vulcan74

Nicola Sturgeon?

Post by Vulcan74 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Afternoon All

Why does the BBC keep putting Nicola Sturgeon on our screens daily, one days bad enough but she's plaguing the screen everyday. She should be kept to BBC Scotland only where she can speak to her hearts content!! :grr:

Alf

Re: Nicola Sturgeon?

Post by Alf » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Vulcan74 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 pm
Afternoon All

Why does the BBC keep putting Nicola Sturgeon on our screens daily, one days bad enough but she's plaguing the screen everyday. She should be kept to BBC Scotland only where she can speak to her hearts content!! :grr:
BBC is for the whole of the Uk, so I guess Nicola's daily briefing should be reported just the same as England's is with Hancock's half hour.. prefer NS efforts to any of there others personally

Funny the English briefing is now sometimes down to just a single gov minister presenter as they have slowly dropped all the scientific and medic experts (Johnathan Van Tam , Jenny Harris etc) as they told the truth as it is and not how Boris wanted it to be spun… so they had to go.

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:31 pm

Wait a minute Matt Hancock is the Secretary Of State for Health & Social Care so he needs to be on daily. Sturgeon is only the Minister of Scotland and should only be on BBC Scotland. We don't need to see her briefings as they only apply to Scotland!!

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:39 pm

So the BBC shouldn't be showing any political figures other than English? That seems be what you are saying.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:45 pm

It is interesting to hear about Scotland's response to Covid but we only see snippets of Sturgeon down south - does she also does take questions from the media or professional question askers?

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:47 pm

Is Mrs. Krankie on every day in England? She's on BBC1 at 12.30 every bloomin' day Mon-Fri up here and I was seriously thinking of moving back South to escape her. :grr:

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:55 pm

Nighthawke wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:39 pm
So the BBC shouldn't be showing any political figures other than English? That seems be what you are saying.

I'm not saying that but we don't have to her on a daily basis, remember she has no interest in the UK whatsoever!!

Leuchars Fan

Post by Leuchars Fan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Nighthawke wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:39 pm
We should see all the different component countries political endeavours and they should be challenged as Matt Hancock and Boris Johnson etc are. The trouble with Nicola Sturgeon is even though she and Salmond lost the referendum on Scottish independence, they've overtly ignored the result and Sturgeon now tries to carry on as if Scotland voted the other way. The Downing Street briefing were for the entire nation, the UK that is. If there is one thing Nicola Sturgeon and similar folk have achieved it is broad confusion as to what the nation state and citizenship actually is. She recently said that she would never presume to enter into the politics in England, because its not her territory and very true that is. But the point she was making was to tell Boris Johnson that he had no right, conversely, to speak on Scottish affairs. Well.. he can, he is still the Prime Minister of the Untied Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, not just of England.

LF

mirage41

Post by mirage41 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:59 am

Mike wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:47 pm
Is Mrs. Krankie on every day in England? She's on BBC1 at 12.30 every bloomin' day Mon-Fri up here and I was seriously thinking of moving back South to escape her. :grr:
Yes, she's on BBC news all day free view CH231, complete with a hand waver in background.
We continue to wonder about her hairdresser, as the badger is not visible.

C24

Post by C24 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:04 am

:thumb:

Well.. he can, he is still the Prime Minister of the Untied Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, not just of England. Quoted by Leucharsfan. Typo?

You could use the channel change facility on your television. Mike. ;)

Stay safe 🌈 ☕️
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:23 am

Or let her have a second referendum so that she could become the elected dictator of Scotland. Then we would not have to endure her south of the border. :ninja:

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:45 am

BBC, clue's in the name, British Broadcasting Corporation, not England. It's becasue she has a contrasting view to Westminster that she's given airtime, help us form a balanced and informed view of national events. By national I mean UK, not England.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:09 am

Sparts99 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:45 am
balanced and informed
You clearly watch a different BBC.

It's totally unbalanced and utterly opinionated.

And we don't need to see Wee Jimmy Krankie!

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:32 pm

See if you cant get past your political bias, then there is no way you can see that her focus in these times is for COVID to be eradicated, so the people of Scotland can return to a sustainable normal. Anything you hear different is being peddled by the Conservatives as political point scoring, something that should be put aside in these times!

The figures actually do back up what our Nicola has done here with 7 day averages of daily deaths at 0.7, and new infections 9.7. To be comparable with a population 10x the size of Scotland, you would need obviously need 7 day averages of 7 and 97 respectively. Is that something you can prove?

Seen as i doubt that anyone in this thread can see past the apparent breaking of the union that is going on just now, the 7 day averages are 118 deaths and 892 new infections.

Now, people doon sooth will jump on the Dumfries and Galloway outbreak to try and make an argument, but i will point you in the direction of Leicester who are on a lockdown because of an outbreak identified from 2 week old data! The D&G outbreak was identified within days and may have started in Cumbria!

So the next time you see the wee Jimmy Krankie woman on the news, look past the politics and see what she has actually achieved up here. You can also ask why Boris cant be at his daily briefings like a real leader!

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:45 pm

"You clearly watch a different BBC.

And we don't need to see Wee Jimmy Krankie!"

Not like you then?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:19 pm

The infection rate is bound to be greater in England because there is a greater number of large densely populated cities.
It is like there is a critical mass or density of candidates to allow for a chain reaction of infection.

I respect what Sturgeon is doing - she is a single issue conviction politician. I personally don't want Scotland to leave the Union but if you/they don't get on with England then it would be better for everyone if Scotland leaves the Union rather than this periodic demand for a referendum.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:15 pm

ChrisCwmbran wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:09 am
Sparts99 wrote:
balanced and informed

It could be also argued that we in England don't need to see Mark Drakeford or that other SNP clown Ian Blackford, good first name to partner wee Jimmy. Do we see much of the NI situation, no they just get on with it.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:19 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:19 pm
The infection rate is bound to be greater in England because there is a greater number of large densely populated cities.
It is like there is a critical mass or density of candidates to allow for a chain reaction of infection.

I respect what Sturgeon is doing - she is a single issue conviction politician. I personally don't want Scotland to leave the Union but if you/they don't get on with England then it would be better for everyone if Scotland leaves the Union rather than this periodic demand for a referendum.
I keep seeing this greater number of large densely populated cities argument pedaled all too often, and i just dont agree with it. Its years since i looked into it population densities, but Dundee has a population of 148,000 and only 9 infections recorded as part of Tayside in the last 14 days. Leicester is just over twice the population and is seeing a new lockdown because of their new infections!

Its not about us wanting to leave because we dont get on, its just an overwhelming thought that we could do better, and just now, that is being confirmed! And if you actually sit down and listen to who is perpetuating the Independence argument, you will find that its mentioned by the Conservatives and the media more often that we actually talk about it up here!

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:26 pm

plmc135 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:15 pm
ChrisCwmbran wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:09 am
Sparts99 wrote:
balanced and informed

It could be also argued that we in England don't need to see Mark Drakeford or that other SNP clown Ian Blackford, good first name to partner wee Jimmy. Do we see much of the NI situation, no they just get on with it.
Poor example when illustrating balanced and informed to use NI.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:01 pm

I think there is empirical evidence for population densities and Covid mortality

For example Belgium has half the population of Australia and a 100 times the number of deaths in about 20 times less space.

Return to “General Chat”