Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Bank transfer scam

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Sparts99

Bank transfer scam

Post by Sparts99 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Hi all.

I'm buying some second hand parts for my bike from someone in a facebook owners group. The price is all agreed and I've sent the money by paypal but it's showing as not collected on my account page. The seller is saying he's had no paypal notification despite me sending him screenshots and telling him he has to accept the payment, he says the email address is correct but now he's asking me to transfer direct to his bank account and forget the Paypal. I've heard though no one can tell me how, that it's possible to be scammed and have your account raided after making a direct payment to someone's bank account, is that right?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Undertaker

Re: Bank transfer scam

Post by Undertaker » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:39 pm

At least you are protected by Paypal if you stick with them, I thought that Paypal release the money to him once he's sent the items [?]

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:59 pm

Depending on the amount in question and the fact it's a personal non business trasaction, PayPal might be holding the transaction pending bank authorisation which can take a few days. I had something simliar a few years back but can't remember the exact details. Do you have protection with PayPal for non business transactions?

Alf

Post by Alf » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:15 pm

Sparts99 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:08 pm
Hi all.

I'm buying some second hand parts for my bike from someone in a facebook owners group. The price is all agreed and I've sent the money by paypal but it's showing as not collected on my account page. The seller is saying he's had no paypal notification despite me sending him screenshots and telling him he has to accept the payment, he says the email address is correct but now he's asking me to transfer direct to his bank account and forget the Paypal. I've heard though no one can tell me how, that it's possible to be scammed and have your account raided after making a direct payment to someone's bank account, is that right?
No its not possible. A direct account to account transfer in the UK via FPS (Faster Payments System) does not open anyone one up to being "raided".

An off point, all UK online banking is protected by the banks and the FCA (up to a limit) so even if something did go wrong due to some form of scam you would get your money back…

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:52 pm

Alf wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:15 pm
No its not possible. A direct account to account transfer in the UK via FPS (Faster Payments System) does not open anyone one up to being "raided".

An off point, all UK online banking is protected by the banks and the FCA (up to a limit) so even if something did go wrong due to some form of scam you would get your money back…
[/quote]
Thanks Alf. That's pretty much what I thought. As it turns out despite me emailing him a few times saying he had to go into his paypal, look at transactions and accept the payment he didn't. He did it in the end, all good but it's the first time I've come across anyone having to accept a payment on paypal.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Bobcode

Post by Bobcode » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:55 am

Suggest double check the email used to send/receive funds to paypal is correctly spelt.
I had the same situation when my email was mis-spelt by one letter and the money was listed unclaimed.....just a thought .

Return to “General Chat”