Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

MOT extension

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
C24

MOT extension

Post by C24 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:59 am

FYI

I haven't seen a similar thread
Posted anyway

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... march-2020

🌈
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Pen Pusher

Re: MOT extension

Post by Pen Pusher » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:17 am

My motorbike MOT was due on the 11th April although taxed in January so I can still ride it.

Brian

Undertaker

Post by Undertaker » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:31 am

No problem getting an MOT done around here, we have about a dozen places all open to do Tyres, MOTs and servicing, I presume after the extensions [6 months] on MOTs expires you will still have to get an MOT from your original date ?

podge

Post by podge » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:31 am

If your vehicle has had an extension to the mot date applied then that new date will be the date you need to get your next mot done by.

If you’ve had an extension applied you can still have your mot done but if it fails then it is then out of mot until the work and retest is done. So therefore would be illegal to drive on the road.

Remember that even though you might of had an extension applied you still need to have your vehicle in a road worthy condition and check online that an extension has been applied don’t just presume it has been.

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:36 am

i used this to check mine

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:58 pm

Hello all,
I have 2 cars on extension that are now due in November, but both will be done over the coming weeks as my chosen MOT station is back open for business.

What i will say though, and something i have just dealt with, if you are buying a car, DO NOT accept the vehicle has MOT until October/November, treat it like a car that is overdue, even insist a new MOT is carried out. My dealings were with a fellow enthusiast and was a car we both knew would have no issues, but the understanding was there for why get the MOT done.

Now that Lockdown has been relaxed a bit, there are loads of cars out there now that are being advertised with 4-6 months MOT, but many of them have a big shock in place for a buyer.
Stay Safe,
Geoff.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:26 pm

Just insist on being given the signed paper copy of the latest MOT if you're buying a car, also check the details online at the gov.uk website.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:33 pm

Mike wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:26 pm
Just insist on being given the signed paper copy of the latest MOT if you're buying a car, also check the details online at the gov.uk website.
Mike,
Is the paper copy still something to be collected? I recall something about there no longer being a requirement with it all being so readily available on line.
Stay Safe,
Geoff.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:45 pm

ArabJazzie wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:33 pm
Mike wrote:
Mike,
Is the paper copy still something to be collected? I recall something about there no longer being a requirement with it all being so readily available on line.
Stay Safe,
Geoff.

My car was last MOT'd at the end of June last year and I got a copy when I paid for it, it also includes any advisories that they feel that the owner should know about i.e. brake pads should be replaced soon, but were OK at the MOT etc.

I really hope that this hasn't changed since then, but the advisories can still be read on the gov website :- https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ ... 1583424141

Up the Jambos. :unsure: :whistle:

podge

Post by podge » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:01 pm

Yes Mike paper mot certificates are still issued with any advisories printed on them.

DVSA has advised testers not to issue them due to the risk of spread of the virus, however every customer I’ve dealt with has requested the paper copy.

mirage41

Post by mirage41 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:56 pm

I retain all of my car paperwork in an A4 ring binder, hence full service history is not a problem.

As well as the MOT certificate, I also retain a copy of the associated emissions test data. As a retired engineer I can then monitor any annual changes in engine parameters - perhaps making relevant decisions thereon.

My 54 plate Passat, with 198k on the clock, has hardly changed since our European friends put it together.

Sadly, although the car may last for ever, it is now in effect of very little value

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:06 pm

Done mine and the wife's no problem down the local garage by us.
Done my wifes for nothing with her being a NHS Nurse. We got the normal paperwork with emissions etc.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 pm

Mike wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:45 pm
ArabJazzie wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:33 pm
Mike wrote:
Mike,
Stay Safe,
Geoff.

My car was last MOT'd at the end of June last year and I got a copy when I paid for it, it also includes any advisories that they feel that the owner should know about i.e. brake pads should be replaced soon, but were OK at the MOT etc.

I really hope that this hasn't changed since then, but the advisories can still be read on the gov website :- https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ ... 1583424141

Up the Jambos. :unsure: :whistle:
Jambos are dooooooomed! Can Budgie no just gie up so i can wave as we swap leagues! :P

I hope you have had the brakes changed since last year! Not that i can say much as one of mine needs back discs n pads!

I use the gov site all the time when looking for cars to buy. Helps when you are looking for 20 year old Fords like 60k "low miles" Focus that had its speedo changed at 50k miles, or all of the much welded "never been welded" heaps that people are wanting top money for! Found 3 crackers for myself though!
Stay Safe,
Geoff.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:58 am

Friend of my Neighbour's MOT ran out in Feb so didn't come under the covid extension & is still driving it about. Probably thinks he can get away with it along with his other Car which the Tax ran out in May 2019!!

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:15 am

There's a really good free App called 'Vehicle Smart' which has a very detailed history of MOTs, it also gives details of whether a car is taxed or not. Just download it and enter any registration number that you see, you'll then be amazed how many cars are running around illegally. :whistle:

baz1

Post by baz1 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:39 pm

my car was done today and the other one last month both passed with no probs.

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:45 pm

Why not just buy a new car every 3 yrs or less, and don't worry?
I might sometimes miss my time in the RAF - so every month it reminds me how great it was, with an obscenely big cheque
...Royal Air Force, - putting the fun into dysfunctional at every opportunity...

baz1

Post by baz1 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:00 pm

reheat module wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:45 pm
Why not just buy a new car every 3 yrs or less, and don't worry?
I don't worry 40 odd yrs as vehicle Techy do my own work then I know its right, just think how much you loose as soon as a new car its the road and what you get when you part exchange some people have money to throw away.

gamecock

Post by gamecock » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:07 pm

Do people still buy new cars? I thought it was all on the never-never theses days.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:09 pm

gamecock wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:07 pm
Do people still buy new cars? I thought it was all on the never-never theses days.
yes never stop paying and never own it :lol:

Return to “General Chat”