Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

COVID-19 UK

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
roger4

Re: COVID-19 UK

Post by roger4 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:05 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:37 pm
Very sad to hear of your loss , this really is a cruel disease.

( I wonder if you are Roger the Upper Heyford spotter who I used to chat with in the Heathrow visitors center carpark , you were the first person I ever saw with SBS if you are the same Roger).
Thank you XWP29, slogen51 and dragonchaser.

Mike - could be, although I was only a very occasional spotter at UH, and am an infrequent visitor to LHR (I can see 09 arrivals and 27 departures from my study window at home unless the weather is cack). I don't know if you were being literal about it being an SBS system, but I have always been an AirNav man myself. I went to the Transair shop at Fairoaks not long after they first came out and saw both systems running side by side: I much preferred the graphics on the AirNav. I do however take it with me and set it up running on a laptop on LHR visits.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi. Sorry the Roger I know was a Heyford regular - tall chap with a mop of black wavy hair before the years sanded it away.

From the daily Telegraph

Vitamin D: Could the ‘sunshine supplement’ cut Covid’s death rate?

Experts are divided over how much you should have, but they agree a daily dose of vitamin D may be an effective way to combat Covid

You read it here first last week!

roger4

Post by roger4 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:00 pm

Mike - your description of the "Upper Heyford" Roger could well apply to me!

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 am

:)

I hope both Rogers are fit and well considering :)

At Heathrow I used to hang around with Bob the builder, Clifford, Tony AKA columbo and of course BHX Mark who will be sadly missed. I haven't been to Heathrow since Christmas 2019

Can't wait for lockdown to end at an appropriate time so we can all meet up again - it will be awesome

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:25 am

With regards to passengers arriving from "Red List Countries" one of the rules on the GOVT website is
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/booking-and ... in-england

If you have a pre-existing booking to a different port of entry on or after the 15 February it’s your responsibility to change it to one of the ports of entry specified above.
After 15 February carriers will not be permitted to carry anyone who has been in a red list country in the previous 10 days to any other port of entry other than those specified.

yet yesterday Tuesday 16th we have 6 people arriving into Manchester Airport who then had to be transported to Birmingham for Quarantine
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... d-19853727

and 4 others fined for not declaring they had been in a red list country

I was pretty sure I had seen that the Govt were asking the airlines to ensure everybody was checked before boarding to ensure they had the correct information and that if there was any discrepancies boarding was not to be allowed , but i cant find any reference to this now
either way the 6 arriving at Manchester should in my view also be fined as they should have been aware of the rules and rebooked to London or Birmingham

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:58 am

I thought everyone boarding a flight had to have a negative test at the departure airport - surely that must be easier than tracking people at the destination?

roger4

Post by roger4 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:30 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:58 am
I thought everyone boarding a flight had to have a negative test at the departure airport - surely that must be easier than tracking people at the destination?
While testing before departure gives some reassurance (not absolute) that you won't be sat next to an infectious person on the plane, they might none-the-less be incubating the disease and go down with it during the 10 or so days after arrival, hence the need for quarantine (whether in your own home previously, or in a hotel now).

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:14 pm

Well that raises an interesting point. If you test negative can you still be 'incubating' the virus?

I have a young member of the family who shall remain nameless, who occasionally gets a negative test so he can visit his grandmother - I told him it is against the rules but his gran says it is ok because he has a negative test and she has been vaccinated. It really annoys me but she does very much enjoy his visits and she has been vaccinated. I don't want a big family bust up but it bugs me no end as it is against the rules.

PS did anyone else feel ill after the first jab? I am fine now after my Sunday afternoon appointment but on Monday afternoon I felt completely tosh

PPS it must be a state of mind but after my jab I am ' raring to go' I just cannot wait to get out and about!

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:26 pm

Yep, Wife and I for a day after the jab. Went away very quickly though. I posted a warning that this was likely to happen, on Feb.11th. Most of my neighbours felt the same. Talking to a friend in Bucks today, it would appear that the Astra Zen is the 'flu symptoms' one, whereas the Pfizer one simply leaves one with a sore arm. Guess it depends on the individual tho'.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:43 pm

Both my eldest brother and my sister have had the A-Z jabs in the last week, brother woke up in the middle of the night afterwards in a fever and felt rough for the next few hours.
Sister took a paracetamol one hour before her jab and had no after effects whatsoever apart from a bit of soreness in her upper arm, she took another paracetamol and the pain was gone completely within a couple of hours.

roger4

Post by roger4 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:01 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:14 pm
Well that raises an interesting point. If you test negative can you still be 'incubating' the virus?
Yes, and indeed it is the norm.

All infectious diseases have an incubation period. This is the time delay between you being exposed to the disease and you becoming ill. This averages 8 days for Covid, but it is highly variable from one person to another for this virus with some being as quick as 3-4 days (Trump - allegedly), and with 10% of people being 14 days or longer. This is one major frustration for the medics trying to track & trace this disease - it is almost impossible to say if your exposure was 2 days or 12+ days ago.

You will only test positive when you yourself become infectious once the disease has incubated within you, and you can then spread it to others. For many diseases this is after you first show symptoms, but for Covid it happens around 2 days before you show symptoms (major frustration number 2 for the medics). And that's why quarantine is so important. And why a negative test merely tells you that you were negative when tested - it tells you absolutely nothing about whether you will remain negative tomorrow, or next week.

In terms of your nameless family member's Gran, she isn't guaranteed to be immune even if she's had 2 jabs, as neither vaccine provides 100% protection to everyone. IMHO your youngster and Gran are taking a hell of a risk.........

roger4

Post by roger4 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:08 pm

My wife went for her jab today. Her GP wouldn't give it to her as she is less than 4 weeks from having had Covid. He said she would have quite a severe reaction as a result, and told her they would call her back in a couple of weeks. Having had Covid, we should have naturally produced antibodies and hence protection, so a delay of a few weeks shouldn't be an issue.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:14 pm

The 'youngster' is 25 ( where did the years go) and should know better but they are both adults and I have had my say.

Sounds like testing is ok to estimate how many people are infected in an area but useless in terms of individual effect on other people such as work mates etc.

The South Africa mutation is a spanner in the works , I haven't seen any recent data on the spread of the South Africa mutation in the UK.

Don't forget that a mutation can result in a new virus that is less harmful to humans.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:35 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:14 pm

PS did anyone else feel ill after the first jab? I am fine now after my Sunday afternoon appointment but on Monday afternoon I felt completely tosh

Yes, I had the Pfizer-BioNTech, within a couple of hours I was feeling overly tired and discomfort from my left arm up and across the base of my neck/shoulders. The discomfort went away over night, but the tiredness lasted a couple of days.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:06 am

I had OAZ jab last Friday. Felt a bit tired on Saturday and last night had some muscle ache in my legs, both listed as possible side effects.

Wife had OAZ on Sunday and it seems to have mainly affected her arm. Either way both better than contracting CV-19.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:39 am

My Mother is finally having hers next Friday 😊
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:49 am

plmc135 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:06 am
I had OAZ jab last Friday. Felt a bit tired on Saturday and last night had some muscle ache in my legs, both listed as possible side effects.

Wife had OAZ on Sunday and it seems to have mainly affected her arm. Either way both better than contracting CV-19.
I had OAZ on Sunday and woke up in the middle of the night freezing cold then hot again took a couple of Paracetamol
and no probs after a few hrs no pain in arm what so ever unlike my Flu jab.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:10 am

My partner has her jab this coming Saturday , she is 61, I have offered help to put the ironing board up if she is feeling rough.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:33 am

Glad to see chivalry is not dead yet. Don't strain yourself Mike. :lol:

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:37 pm

What's an ironing board?? :S

Return to “General Chat”