Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

COVID-19 UK

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Thunder

Re: COVID-19 UK

Post by Thunder » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:33 pm

It’s up to the Landlord/lady to police things within their premises, but they won’t as long as the pumps are pumping and the tills are ringing. Then when it all goes horribly wrong and they’re forced to shut again, they turn to the media, telling us how they’re being forgotten about and how unfair the country is against the hospitality industry.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:22 pm

Wow...stand down soldier!

Don’t necessarily agree that’s it’s down to social distancing, testing capacity is now 80% higher than in June.

Far more people have had or have the virus than we’ll ever know.

I do agree however that, for now, the rules should be followed. But I want hard facts on the situation regarding recovered rates, positive tests against numbers of tests, hospital admissions, additional deaths due to other factors. For me 30 deaths and increase in cases is no longer a valid reason to curb our human right to long term freedom.
It is however an easy fix for a government running scared of further media criticism and a very convenient diversion from the failed Brexit deal talks.

big john

Post by big john » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Thunder wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:33 pm
It’s up to the Landlord/lady to police things within their premises,
You can't ask a landlord to police things unless they are able to protect themselves from physical harm. So the law will have to be changed for them to do that. Because as I've said there is no discipline in the type of people that are not obeying the instructions and when you tell them to do something they are unwilling to do. you get threatened with physical violence. I spent 10 years in face to face customer services and I'd get at least one threat a week. Things have got worse since then.
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:39 pm

The landlord can eject and ban customers if they fail to adhere to the rules, just like they do any other night since pubs have existed. If the customer gets aggressive then call the police, if the landlord can’t take a bit of grief then their probably in the wrong job. Most local councils operate pub watch schemes which means if you get banned from one you’re banned from all participating pubs/clubs and restaurants.

Do you know the training that the police have to go through to be traser qualified, its more or less a full firearms course, you really want traffic wardens equipped with such equipment?

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:45 pm

I wasn't surprized at all just after the summer break then back to square one again. People mingling all over the place, but you cannot keep the lockdown forever or else people will start to revolt and take matter in their own hands. Businesses will fold altogether if we go back to square one again, just hope they will get a vaccine in the near distant future!!

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:33 pm

plmc135 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:28 am
Well it has now been sorted out for you gatherings of over 6 banned including outdoors. However 3,500 expected at Doncaster for horse racing today :ninja:

You are clearly unaware of the very strict conditions under which places of worship were allowed to open for services. They are far more demanding than even pubs and I await to see what Bojo has to say later on, in particular anything relating to churches.

And no I would not need to stop anywhere else on my travels. It would make a change for you to be positive instead of trying to nit pick everyone else's comments, some of them get very personal and are totally unnecessary. You do not know all the circumstances of people's situations so should keep your views to yourslef.
I probably cannot convince you otherwise, but i take absolutely no satisfaction that your gathering has been cancelled because of this. And it beggars belief that Doncaster races will be allowing that level of attendance which proves that nothing has been learned from the weeks leading to the initial lockdown!

As a former church goer, i am aware of some restrictions, but as it doesnt affect me for now, it is not something i care to remember. As for Bojo, no comment!

Thank you to Scott/Thunder for covering the last bit. I would like to add that we both have the right to our opinions, and i am sorry if you think i was being personal for the sake of it, but you repeatedly put views out there that i couldnt agree with, and i felt it was time to make comment! Opinions will differ, something that Scott and myself are very aware of, but i am able to accept that and move on.

And please do not mistake negativity for me being realistic. My personal situation throughout lockdown has seen me and my colleagues as very lucky indeed and have today had my first day of a shift roster that should have been implemented the first full week of lockdown. I have become closer to my wife, been able to pay off debt, bought a car for myself and my daughter, and seen more of my beautiful country. And yes, i consider that is making me quite positive just now. On Covid 19, i have probably read more than is healthy towards obsession at times, and if i comment, i feel i can more than back that up with facts!

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:53 pm

My wife has been terrified of public transport since lockdown began, but today she plucked-up the courage to go down town (about 2 miles) on a Stagecoach bus with her friend...........

They got on the bus with their masks on, the driver wasn't wearing a mask but was behind a screen but he coughed constantly. the other people already on the bus had their masks over their throats or just over their mouths. The bus stopped to pick up 2 other people that had no masks at all, the driver said nothing to them. :roll:

What hope do we have in containing this hideous disease if bus drivers and bar-staff/pub owners can't even be bothered to get their ar5es in gear to educate the great unwashed?

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:24 pm

jimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:22 pm
Wow...stand down soldier!

Don’t necessarily agree that’s it’s down to social distancing, testing capacity is now 80% higher than in June.

Far more people have had or have the virus than we’ll ever know.

I do agree however that, for now, the rules should be followed. But I want hard facts on the situation regarding recovered rates, positive tests against numbers of tests, hospital admissions, additional deaths due to other factors. For me 30 deaths and increase in cases is no longer a valid reason to curb our human right to long term freedom.
It is however an easy fix for a government running scared of further media criticism and a very convenient diversion from the failed Brexit deal talks.
I think what we are seeing now is the effects of opening up the economy too far too soon. In doing so, the sense of normality for some has come back and social distancing is out the window. Or maybe some members of our communities are too comfortable in this new normal because they dont know much different. For me, saying testing capacity is higher is a red herring and i think i want to see the kind of information that jimbo is asking for. But lets do something decisive to get back on track first!

What i think we are seeing just now, and i can only use Scotlands figure to base this on, is with more people becoming infected, this nasty virus is finding its vulnerable victims again, and we are seeing an increase in hospital admissions, more patients ending up in ICU, and tragically, deaths are being reported again. I would have prefered to have had my right to long term freedom curbed by increasing the length of the initial lockdown, rather than what we may be heading into as i believe we would currently be in a more sustainable recovery having extended lockdown.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:25 pm

Yes Mike I've noticed that with local buses, the drivers not wearing masks. I have asthma , suffer from panic attacks so can't wear one, thankfully I don't need public transport. My local area could be on lockdown again in the hext could of days , im dreading it!! But I can still get a pint in my local!!!!?? 😕
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:25 am

Mike: you have confirmed our correct decision NOT to get the local bus into Norwich :'(
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:09 am

We will be alright by Christmas according to Boris!! :whistle:

Rob666

Post by Rob666 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:06 pm

It's all very simple, wear your mask, keep your distance and wash your hands regularly if out and about. However, the great unwashed just don't understand simple instructions or don't care either way its more likely to effect others than them. It was thought that something good would come out of this really bad situation that we would all stick together and become more united, just feels worse to me.

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:17 pm

Vulcan74 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:09 am
We will be alright by Christmas according to Boris!! :whistle:
As I recall, the King of Clowns did not mention which Christmas...

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:00 pm

I really cant understand why the BBC are no longer willing to broadcast the daily first ministers briefing, especially when this virus is taking its hold again!

Politically motivated, nothing else makes sense as to why they would do that!

Take care out there if Bojo is the only voice of reason we will be able to listen to!

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:44 pm

Answer Nicola Sturgeon, there's always the news channels to listen to. I think we've seen enough of NS over the last several months, common sense is the order of the day for most of us!!!

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Vulcan74 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:44 pm
Answer Nicola Sturgeon, there's always the news channels to listen to. I think we've seen enough of NS over the last several months, common sense is the order of the day for most of us!!!
And look where common sense is getting us right now!

And News Channels? I think you have to open your eyes and mind a wee bit with the way reporting has been throughout this Covid pish, especially the BBC. Other than when we were at the bottom of the wave, i watched the daily briefings as much as i could, and the way things were reported afterwords in some cases was downright ridiculous in the way statements were edited, that it totally changed the message being reported. This didnt only happen to NS, but also Bojo and friends. Dont get me started on the standard of journalistic questioning!
Stay Safe.

big john

Post by big john » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:05 am

Interesting article, Its American but still relevant.
https://elemental.medium.com/the-most-l ... 430384e5a5
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:31 am

Interesting...just shows we know much more we know now than we did at the start...shame the government don't read these articles but rely on outdated data from scientists still working with the original models for infection and death rates.

Also i find it incredulous the govenement didn't think that all the volunteer medical students and furloughed staff working at test centres would go back to university and work as soon as they could...thereby causing the testing problems we now face which will lead to the blunt force of lockdown being used again to control the population rather than the scalpel approach promised some months ago by BJ...also wasn't the track and trace app supposed to go live on 24th September or was that yet another lie from this government?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54118022

baz1

Post by baz1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:35 am

ArabJazzie wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:00 pm
I really cant understand why the BBC are no longer willing to broadcast the daily first ministers briefing, especially when this virus is taking its hold again!

Politically motivated, nothing else makes sense as to why they would do that!

Take care out there if Bojo is the only voice of reason we will be able to listen to!
if your talking about Nicola Sturgeon her briefing is on BBC 2 every day on the 12 0'clock news and on Virgin media 601 every day watching it now

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:42 am

I think you have got be careful with the above article - it seems to be saying that hand washing isn't necessary and at the same time promoting air purifiers. There is so much disinformation around Covid.

The article says that on average one person might infect 1 to 2 others which is in line with UK ' experts ' but then has the following example from South Korea :-

"A clear example of the benefits of masks is a recent outbreak in South Korea, in which one woman at a Starbucks infected 27 other customers — whom officials assume were not wearing masks because they were eating and drinking — but none of the employees, all of whom were masked the entire time."

27 other people seems a bit extreme - I don't know the details but I think washing your hands before you eat fast food should be the norm.

The aerosol theory has been around for a few months now and sounds plausible and if true there is probably not much you can do in an enclosed space apart from ventilation and opening the windows. If I was still working I would probably insist on working from home over the winter period as commuting on public transport and a day in an office is the so called double whammy.

Return to “General Chat”