Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson - didn't he do well?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Alfie

Re: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson - didn't he do well?

Post by Alfie » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:04 am

Just to correct a comment the 3-day week was brought in by Ted Heath and a Tory government not Labour. I am old enough to remember, but not get the facts completely wrong.

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:47 am

Technically you are correct on the decision that it was necessary. It arose from Labour. A forced decision based on strikes and the Union Barons, who controlled Labour, the unions held the country to ransom. No power due to coal strikes. Here is the relationship to the proposed regression of Trade Union Laws by Corbyn.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:14 am

XWP29 Nothing to do with how the Tory government of the time dealt with the strike at the time then. There is always two sides to a story, but don't forget our media controlled by the rich and powerful will only report on the side of the story that suits them.

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:52 am

No, not in my view, an opportunist strike by the NUM on the back of the Oil shortage created by OPEC. No way any sensible Government could have given in on that one. The Government had to do something so three day week to conserve power for essential services etc

Looking at the Independent, Mirror and the Observer/Guardian, don’t see them being controlled by those you mention.

Labour ought to re group and re think the abysmal campaign they ran and stop blaming others, "we won the arguments", really? Why then didn’t they win the election? Because of the Newspapers!
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:11 am

I am sorry the press made the election not about polices but a personality contest between Johnson and Coybryn. If you ask a lot of people that changed the way they voted it was all about personalities and how they were portrayed in the press.

turbosix

Post by turbosix » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:14 am

Interesting article on the front page of the Times this morning. One of the first priorities of this new government is turning their attention to the MoD. Seems they are not a fan of the MoD’s “disastrous defence procurement” and they will be launching an immediate audit into recent purchases and review development of costly military equipment. They scorn “mediocre” officials and alleged corruption within the system. The acquisition of two aircraft carriers at a cost of 6.2 billion is a specific focus of concern.

I bet there’s a few military bigwigs hot under the collar this morning.

Freeman Lowell

Post by Freeman Lowell » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:50 am

turbosix wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:14 am

I bet there’s a few military bigwigs hot under the collar this morning.
No. They’ll retire early on fat pensions. It’s only ever the little people that have to atone for their mistakes.
Freeman

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:17 am

No doubt when the government turns it's attention to the MOD, it won't be the bigwigs at the top who will be looking for a new job it will be cost cutting with the staff. The MOD has a huge procurement establishment on the outskirts of Bristol and it will be the people working there wondering if they will have a job in 2020.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Still hearing on various media sources today that lifelong, dyed-in-the-wool, labour supporters were telling Labour reps on the doorstep that Corbyn and his acolytes were the number 1 reason they had switched to the Tories, followed by the fudge on brexit :grr:

The soon-to-be miniscule Corbyn faction are still in denial :S

If the current Labour Party don't wake up pretty soon and 'smell the coffee', vis-a-vis the election of a new leader and the direction they should be going in, they will simply implode, which will mean there will be a new, more centrist, more electable, mainstream Labour Party taking shape, in order to grab back the votes gallantly lent to Boris, and the far left loonies will be left as just a tiny, inconspicuous, unimportant faction :lol:

Bring it on :thumbs:

I'm still saying well done Boris, don't let us down, 'cos we're trusting you and you will be held to account ;)
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:17 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:52 am

When will Sturgeon be declared President of Scotland?
More like Queen Nicola the 1st :whistle:

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Nicola Queen of Scots

TIC TAC

Post by TIC TAC » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:23 am

And we now what happened the last time a scot tried to take the english throne

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:34 am

...and he was James VI of Scotland, James I of England? It was arranged by Elizabeth I of England in the Treaty of Berwick(?) in exchange for an annual payment from England to Scotland of £xxxx of silver.
Didn't he then arrange for the Union in/around 1707?
So the Scots decided to join England and some of them have now changed their mind. Daft, I call it!
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

eagle driver

Post by eagle driver » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Having never really had any political affiliations ,and usually I would not bother voting in local elections
This time I felt compelled to make my mark, mainly because of a gut feeling that we will live to regret giving Boris the 1st the P M job .
As others have said here and from his own mouth he plans to change the way even parliament can veto his decisions , so beware we will live to regret last week.

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:49 pm

Now the beeb is at it putting a slant on the tories, just as expected.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:35 am

Boris has started off as he means to go on, with the sale of defence firm Cobhams to the USA, much against every experts advice. If he goes on like this perhaps the the UK will be rechristened Trump-ton.
We were all warned about Boris, but not enough people took notice.

Return to “General Chat”