Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Horse Riders On Public Roads?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Blackcat1

Re: Horse Riders On Public Roads?

Post by Blackcat1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:38 am

What about taking photos of low level jets whilst driving? 😊🤔😂
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 am

A motorist in Lincolnshire some years ago was killed when a couple of horses got loose from a field and ran straight into the cars path.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:18 pm

So ban horses in fields, simples.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Vulcan74 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 am
A motorist in Lincolnshire some years ago was killed when a couple of horses got loose from a field and ran straight into the cars path.
I think it's a bit sad you're heading down this path - but clearly you've got some serious issues about roads and horses.
The chance of being killed on the road by a loose horse must be a million to one (or more!) Whereas the chance of being killed by a speeding driver or a drunken driver or a driver paying no attention will be thousands of times more likely - and is a sad reality that happens every day of the week.
So personally I'd be far more afraid and be scared of being hit by one of them on the road than i ever will be by a horse.

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:50 pm

The Phantom

That's your opinion and this is mine just stating facts about this subject. Yes it was a tragic accident, but if going to start picking at things just for the sake of it, then that's very sad!!

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:17 pm

Thought the horse had more rights of the road then the car.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:10 pm

Richard - you are right to an extent. In ancient laws that have never been repealed but which in practice these days have little or no bearing - the law is a very odd "machine". Pedestrians have more right of way but again take a great risk trying to assert that right. Essentially every road user has an equal duty of care for any other.

Take care out on the roads as there are far too many who show little or no care for others, nor for themselves.

R1nger

Post by R1nger » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:13 pm

Talking of SUV's and the like, I think there should be a law governing the height of headlight mountings above the road surface - especially the Quartz Halogen and super bright LED types. Now that winter is upon us I find my night vision being ruined by these maladjusted lights coming at me at eye-level. God knows how sports car drivers cope. And on the subject of bikes, the few cyclists that do use the cycle paths seem to have floodlights fitted to the front of their bikes and red strobes fitted to the rear.
I'll just get my flak jacket and tin hat before reading the responses...
George

Remember that sorry is the hardest word - unless you're Chinese, then it's squirrel

Col Nago

Post by Col Nago » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:12 pm

reheat module wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:51 pm
pay road tax
If you're paying 'road tax' you're being mugged off. It was removed in 1937 by Churchill (the PM not the insurer). I currently run three vehicles and pay VED depending on their emissions, ranging from an arm and a leg for the T5, less for the Yeti and nish for the wife's BMW electric. If the magical Daily Mail road tax for cyclists was brought into play it would also cost the grand total of zero pence per year. However, if you just want to tax someone for not driving a car, potentially holding you up for a handful of seconds and for choosing a healthier option then that's a different story...

Oh, and the upkeep of the highways is funded through general taxation and council tax, so anyone with a job is paying for it and is therefore allowed to use it.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:09 pm

When I was a teenager, I was once, as a passenger, in a car when we came past a horse. It was done slowly, safely, with plenty of clearance, but when alongside, doing approx 5 m.p.h. the horse panicked for some reason, and backed into the side of the car, despite it's riders efforts to control it, considerable damage occurred to the side of the car. The driver did everything right, but animals have a mind of their own, and anything that moves can be dangerous in some circumstances. Not a perfect world out there, and therer has to be acceptance that animals represent a danger, but these sort of incidents are very rare. Much more likely to be written off by another motorist than a horse.

two1938

Post by two1938 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:29 pm

simply do not like cycleists

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Thanks! Never met as far as I know so as a cyclist, I'll reserve judgement :lol: However cyclists are just like every other group in that they're not all good nor all bad.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Don't like cyclists? I don't like people so I'm knackered 😂
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:59 am

:pop: :pop: :pop:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:32 am

SUV'S & 4X4'S should be slapped hard for road tax, there the scourge of the British roads!!!

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:17 am

Sorry I meant "some" people 😂
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:52 am

Anybody using the public highway should have appropriate insurance to cover third party damage and medical claims.

What annoys me about cyclist is riding 2 or 3 abreast on country roads hampering safe overtaking and the road races which cycle clubs run when my car insurance specifically bans racing on the public road (and that happens to forbid, and therefore invalidate the insurance, the taking part in vehicle based treasure hunts.)

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:57 pm

Even better are Lycra-cists who overtake, on the wrong side of the road, a slow moving line of cars approaching a blind right hand corner.
At the head of a similar line of vehicles moving in the opposite direction, I acted instinctively, braking to a stop without hitting any of them. The cars behind me also stopped safely, the Lycra-cists continued on their way shouting threats.

Next time, perhaps.

The dash camera recorded it all.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

DavieB

Post by DavieB » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:26 pm

Might be worth remembering there is no such thing as "Road Tax" - simply does not exist. You pay vehicle tax for the privilege of owning a vehicle and that's it. It is completely unconnected with the provision of a road to drive on. Anyone can use a road, a fact that some car drivers forget. Expecting everyone else to get out the way so you can go faster is like in the days of the dog licence expecting the government to give you a nice big park and a lamp post for the dog as well!

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:57 pm

If I own a vehicle and only use it on my private 100 acre (for example) estate, then I don't need vehicle tax, do I? But surely, if I use it on public roads I need road tax, even if it's called vehicle tax? These terms are getting me confused.com!

Return to “General Chat”