Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Greta Thunberg?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Vulcan74

Greta Thunberg?

Post by Vulcan74 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:46 pm

Greta Thunberg parents are worried over her climate Protest. I think most parents would be, she comes across as a very intense individually who could be on the way for a burn out. I think for a 16 year old to be like this is very disturbing, maybe she should come back later on when she's had more life experience!!

baz1

Re: Greta Thunberg?

Post by baz1 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Vulcan74 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:46 pm
Greta Thunberg parents are worried over her climate Protest. I think most parents would be, she comes across as a very intense individually who could be on the way for a burn out. I think for a 16 year old to be like this is very disturbing, maybe she should come back later on when she's had more life experience!!
yes and I have to wonder how she travels from place to place??
Comfortably Numb

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:56 pm

Good on her for actually challenging leaders to do something for climate change as it is a pretty serious issue and they are just sitting there doing sweet FA. One of the most powerful men in the world doesn't even believe it!!

It is worrying for the future when we are relying on a 16 year old to speak up and start saying that we are killing the very planet we live on.

Also - she sailed in a yacht to attend this event.

You don't need experience to talk about climage change, because it's pretty obvious and it's easy to learn about - if you see her speech at the UN you can see how well spoken and knowledgeable she is, does handles her Asperger's well.

That's my piece on it. Something drastic has to change.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:09 pm

baz1 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:28 pm
Vulcan74 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:46 pm
yes and I have to wonder how she travels from place to place??
I have to commend what she is trying to achieve, but when she realizes how little she is gonna achieve fighting against companies, she is gonna have one hell of a meltdow!

As to how she gets about, didnt she get to New York by boat? :huh:

Apart from that, there are questions to be asked as to how her message gets out there, and how many gadgets have to be charged to keep that message going! Then what are Gretas parents are doing to protect her from, what to me at least, what looks like a young passionate person being exploited!
Arabest,
Geoff.

H.A.Bucken

Post by H.A.Bucken » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Keep a watch-out for how she returns home, wouldn't surprise me if it's 'under the radar' so to speak.
'Scenic in the Mist', aka Roger

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:00 pm

The climate is changing and it's always changing - the Earth's axis tilt wobble is thought to have caused a periodic ice age. The period is roughly 40,000 years and we are apparently halfway through. The next ice age will probably cancel any northern hemisphere industrial output?

I think climate change is an excuse to raise carbon taxes. It seems a bit rich that the western first world pumps the output of industrial growth into the atmosphere and then turn round and say to the developing world that they have to moderate their output emissions and oh yes you can't have nuclear power stations because we can't trust you.

Also I hope the greens remember to plug up the volcanoes as they can alter the climate for years.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:41 pm

Couldn't disagree any more. Yes the climate has changed. But it is down to us that has caused the rate to increase and we, as a human race, are making things worse. You cannot say that the deforestation of The Amazon, and their forest fires, as well as the industrial revolution, more cars on the road, and so many reasons more are not causing climate change and making it worse.

Sound like Trump - Don't believe in it! The cold, hard facts are there in black and white. It's been proven. We are making climate change worse and something needs to be done.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:26 pm

There are questions being asked about who is behind Greta Thunberg and who is it with a big wallet that is funding her travelling around the world.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:40 pm

When really, there should be questions being asked about the way millionaires fly around wherever they want, and billionaires can spare money for a cathedral but not help with climate change.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:00 am

It is a fallacy to say that Governments are doing nothing. Certainly some are doing more than others. This unfortunate girl is being manipulated like a puppet, and her speech is almost certain to have been edited by other people, and she is trying to tell governments what they and the majority of the world already know. Frankly, she should be in school!. How does she travel? The yacht crew are being replaced by air!!. I think it is all rather sad to be honest. She will achieve nothing except notoriety. She describes air travel as evil. Really?? Perhaps she doesn't know total commercial air travel all over the world produces only slightly more CO2 than Germany!!. I will only believe what I hear about global warming from a qualified Scientist, not a mentally challenged [no offence intended, just stating fact] young girl with little experience of life!!. What brought about the demise of the Ice Ages?? That's right, Climate change!!. Strange tho'. No cars or aircraft or man about in those days. Climate change is cyclic!!!. Rant over [for today]
Last edited by raptor9 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 am

Oh dear oh dear. :lol: :lol: That's made me laugh. Good ol' keyboard warriors "No offence" (well you obviously mean offence) and then saying she's mentally challenged? Jesus. Way to hit a real low.

Well, Governments aren't doing anything - UK is failing to meet it's CO2 goals, like many other countries!! People seem to miss the point that climate change has been increased and worsened by human activity. If you would rather believe scientists, then why don't you read the 3 reports they have released on it alone this year, instead of criticising a young lady, who is citing what they are saying, and actually challenging leaders to do something. The arrogance of people really shocks me.

After all. It is the generations before me that have caused my generation and those after ours these issues, and made it worse.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:13 am

Oh, come on James. No offence was intended and you know it!!. It is simply a fact. Suggest you look at Pprune to discover more about her.! If you consider that was too low, then you are of course entitled tom your opinion but I stick with what I wrote and I suggest you take the 'no offence' bit as it was intended. A fact. I Do however agree that man has certainly 'speeded things up'. Your comment about Governments doing nothing is too broad. Some are doing nothing, whilst others Are doing something. Don't tar all the Governments with the same brush.
Last edited by raptor9 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:15 am

B*llocks! :lol: If she is that "mentally challenged" then how come she managed to get so many countries together to hold climate change protests?? Anyone that says "no offence" means full well that their comment will be offensive!

Either way. Climate change is real, and has been made worse by us. And irrespective of who leads what, we have to make changes for future generations. That's a fact! Scientists have proven time and time and time again, that it is getting worse, humans are making it worse, and we have to do something drastic before it's fooked!
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:22 am

Well, after 77years on the planet I am now being told how to interpret by own writing!!!. Novel!. Guess I'll just smile and carry on. Have a nice day. :)

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:24 am

Respect of other's opinions. :)
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:29 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:15 am
Climate change is real, and has been made worse by us. And irrespective of who leads what, we have to make changes for future generations. That's a fact! Scientists have proven time and time and time again, that it is getting worse, humans are making it worse, and we have to do something drastic before it's fooked!
Nothing so drastic as replacing all the trees that have been felled over the last few hundred years. There is an argument that, not only would CO2 levels would be reduced, but the water that trees hold would reduce the risks of localized flooding that has been seen in recent times.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:36 pm

Planting tree or trying to be carbon neutral sounds like a sensible approach but it will only delay the inevitable ice age that as mentioned is a periodic event albeit on a global time scale. Mother earth ( if I can use that term) will continue to look after herself long after humanity has disappeared.

I annoys me that people live in a modern world , use cars to go spotting , have tech that has crossed the world from China or Japan and then tell me I have do without my car or am not allowed to get on a plane - hypocrites.

Perhaps some are more worried that climate change will upset our safe European home (with thanks Clash/Joe strummer) and the status quo rather than caring for the flora and fauna as a whole.

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:43 pm

I agree with raptor9 this girl & the other girl from the UK need to be back at school doing their studies. There will be plenty of time when they both leave school & get into their twenties to pursue this, they have just had their summer holidays why didn't they do it then? It's taking the mick!!

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 pm

They did do it during summer holidays. Bearing in mind she is 16, so most likely out of education in Sweden or maybe college. So. Not taking the mick.

Yes great idea. Leave the problem till they are older and everything is worse instead of pushing for it now. Good logic. It's these exact type comments and attitudes as to why we are in this situation now. Stupidity and neglect.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:10 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:36 pm

I annoys me that people live in a modern world , use cars to go spotting , have tech that has crossed the world from China or Japan and then tell me I have do without my car or am not allowed to get on a plane
Ah yes Mike - I am so sure people have walked up to you and said - No! You can't use your car. Sorry you can't board this plane! :roll: :lol:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Return to “General Chat”