Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

How crap is Windows update?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
slogen51

How crap is Windows update?

Post by slogen51 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:44 pm

On a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is pure crap

This morning switched on lap top to be greeted with a message saying I need to update Windows to remain with supported updates etc. No problems I am thinking as we all know Windows updates are quite frequent and also an inconvenience that seems to be a prerequisite of modern computers.

So this morning I allow the update to start and after 30 minutes it has reached 12% therefore I decided to go to Mildenhall and get a tanker I needed. It's a nice day so after I get home I walk to the local for a quick one. Arrive home suitable refreshed and take a look at the lap top expecting to see a login prompt.

My laptop had gone to 'sleep' - can't say I blame it and I cannot rouse it but the power light is on and no activity on the disk light. After much clicking and tapping on the space bar I decided to switch the lap top off ( or on as the case maybe).

Hallelujah it wakes up - great I can do my Waddo photos but no ! Windows says it has to do an update and " this may take a while" and " Don't turn your computer off "

It is now on 7% after 10 minutes.

Android may be designed by Pasedena cowboys but at least it is useable.

AyrForce1

Re: How crap is Windows update?

Post by AyrForce1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:49 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:44 pm
On a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is pure crap

8? sounds rather generous to me :P

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:49 pm

That's strange, I got the latest Windows update last Thursday evening when I tried to turn off my laptop and it took about 5 minutes.

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:29 pm

There's a community-radio station in Aberdeen called ShmuFM. A couple of years back, the breakfast-show presenter, who had much of his show (music, jingles) pre-set on his computer, switched on a few minutes before the show was due to start and was greeted with a message saying a Windows update was about to start. Thinking that It would take just a couple of minutes tops, he let it proceed. Suffice to say he had to scrap the entire planned three-hour show when it became clear that the update was proceeding at a snail's pace, and he could do nothing to get out of it!

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:31 pm

17:25 23%

My lap top is 'only' three years old although modern technology has a life as about as long as a nubile boy band is fashionable.

I think the problem was that I thought the lap top was dead so I switched it off - but this is why windows updated is crap because is should make sure that the dumb user can see what is going on - I think it has start from scratch by reapplying every update again - thanks Bill.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:34 pm

I wonder if F-35 pilots have the same issue ?

Perhaps the old Paper Clip icon would appear to offer help as you pressed home your attack with the wrong drivers installed.

24%

Please go into the hold - your system may reboot several times

18:10 30%

18:30 86%

Dave934

Post by Dave934 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:32 pm

LOL...Yeah I had this the other night....2 to 3 hours for me !!!!
Dave.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:06 pm

A quick question :- You guys with the really slow updates, how often do you actually connect your laptops to the internet, and for how long each day?

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:58 pm

I found out it’s better to do small updates on a regular basis rather than one large update less often. My laptop probably updates one a week and it takes about 5 mins.

However to score the update service I would give it a 10.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:27 pm

the lap top is back !

i mainly use my phone and tablet for email , spotting etc and only switch my lap top on for uploading to Flickr and some Investment transactions.

I am aware it pays to leave the machine on to give it a chance to update etc and most updates usually only take 5-10 minutes. However, this update was different , something about previous editions of Win10 not being supported after Nov 2019? Maybe something to do with HP pre-installed software.

I don't mind Windows 10 software - it is the updater service i don't like, there are far too many patches and version updates in my opinion.

Dave934

Post by Dave934 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:58 pm

My laptop is connected every day, for probably 6 hours each night....
This update was different for me, and took ages.
dave.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:12 pm

didn't take that long on my desk top the problem is have to keep eye on it as it will go into sleep mode, there are some things in the newer version that I will never use its jus knowing what to get rid of
Comfortably Numb

Pete Da Bear

Post by Pete Da Bear » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:43 pm

As opposed to the monthly "patch " updates this latest Windows 10 update is a "feature " update. As there supposedly will never be another Windows version , ALA Windows 95,XP, Vista, 7 etc. Think of these feature updates as Windows 10.1, 10.2 etc. Before starting the update process you can go into settings / system /power & sleep and set the PC goes to sleep time to never. Remember to set back to a sensible time once update has completed. Oh and these feature updates have been known to turn a PC into a brick in previous releases. :grr:
Make sure that you've got backups of anything precious and at least got a restore point set up before letting Mr Gates and his gang potentially ruin your life. :Oops:

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:01 am

Thanks

I think the sleep function was the issue in a long update. But should not the update service temporarily disable the sleep function? The mistake I made was that I went out and left the machine to its own devices and it probably went to sleep waiting for a login after a restart.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:37 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:27 pm
the lap top is back !

i mainly use my phone and tablet for email , spotting etc and only switch my lap top on for uploading to Flickr and some Investment transactions.

I am aware it pays to leave the machine on to give it a chance to update etc and most updates usually only take 5-10 minutes. However, this update was different , something about previous editions of Win10 not being supported after Nov 2019? Maybe something to do with HP pre-installed software.

I don't mind Windows 10 software - it is the updater service i don't like, there are far too many patches and version updates in my opinion.
I'd suggest frequent updates are preferable to being hacked :)

Rugbyref

Post by Rugbyref » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:18 pm

All afternoon for mine. Just as well I had finished my referee assessment form before letting it loose!

wolfie138

Post by wolfie138 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:33 am

Win 7 is fine for me, but I loathe Win 10's updates. fires them off stealthily w/out giving me any options and despite having a bit fiddle w/ the options etc, it just totally chokes my entire bandwidth ~ it's only about 3Mps. can do virtually nowt else on the net whilst it's downloading.

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:21 am

I'm on windows 7 at the moment and tried to update to windows 10, but unfortunately it said my computer was not compatible for windows10. I spoke to a computer wizard recently who said windows 7 was far greater than windows 10 in which I agreed.

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:38 pm

Wish I had kept an old unit running purely on XT. Can't remember having any issues with this stable platform.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

Green133

Post by Green133 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:43 pm

For info, MS are stopping support for Win 7 around end of the year.

My Win 7 pc has become very buggy this last year with lots of programs or websites not liking it. Love or loath it my next build will have to be Win 10.

Return to “General Chat”