Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

How crap is Windows update?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
James Cutting

Re: How crap is Windows update?

Post by James Cutting » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:42 am

Hi Baz, if you search in W10 for 'defrag' the option should come up and you can view when they were last defragged, and I think you can amend the settings to schedule their automatic optimisation. So maybe, if it is slow, it could be down to that. :)
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

baz1

Post by baz1 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:19 am

Hi James,thanks for the tip i'll look into that.
Comfortably Numb

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:32 am

Welcome :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:37 am

Hi all, is anyone else experiencing extremely slow performance with Windows 10 since the latest update at the end of last week? Even starting-up my laptop takes ages since then, it takes about 15 seconds just to open the Notepad, 3 or 4 minutes to open Photo Gallery or my email client, moving from one tab on the browser is slow too - in fact opening anything takes a stupid amount of time.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:16 pm

I had the update and then a few days later an update to the update, presumably fixing the problem, and now I don't have a slow running puter.

Brian

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:25 pm

Thanks Brian, I got the update last Friday and then a smaller 2nd one on Sunday which seemed to make it worse.

Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:53 pm

@Mike
It may well not be the Windows side of things. I think you will find an overall slow down of internet speed (download and upload speed) in suburban and residential areas due to tens-of-thousands working from home during this Covid-19 pandemic. Most home based modems are not geared for high demand and voluminous capacities, which in turn puts pressure on local area network capacities, slowing down overall connectivity. The more rural your location, the more this slowdown may affect you.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:04 pm

just opened Administrative tools, and a whole host of things in there that wasn't there before all this stuff no wonder W10 running slow the problem is half the things we may never use and if you delete them you don't know the effect it and other issues it may have on other things?
Comfortably Numb

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:12 pm

I was thinking that so many people working at home could be the cause but that wouldn't affect the time my laptop takes to boot-up though, my download speed is currently 8.8 Mbps and upload is 2.2 which pretty carp considering I'm on Sky's 'Superfast' fibre-optic service.

I use this for testing broadband speed :- http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/speedtester/

Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:26 pm

@Mike
Using the link you gave my readings are:- Download 112.1 and Upload 8.8 using Virgin.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:31 pm

Blimey, that's a huge difference!

That still doesn't explain why it takes so long for me to open so many 'built-in' apps though, even Task Manager takes an eternity.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:28 pm

i have just done a couple of tests i'm on virgin media 100Mbps. first speed test by Ookla Download 37.87 Upload 8.43 second test Download 34.6 Upload 4.3 after test finished (Driver Reviver ) popped up and said I need a driver update??? ignored that. second test as per Mikes link, Download 46.5 Upload 4.3. any thoughts on this Driver notification guys
Comfortably Numb

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:12 pm

Your internet speeds won't affect the general laptop/operating system (Windows) performance.

Most likely 'bloatware' installed which isn't necessary - like that "Driver Reviver" you mention baz. Would say it's a piece of 3rd party software that may have installed itself when you installed another piece of software (does happen a lot).

One thing you can check is what starts itself automatically when the laptop boots up. Open task manager, select the startup tab, then on here, you can see everything that starts when the laptop does and see what impact it is having. You can disable unnecessary stuff in here, i.e. Spotify, you just have to manually open it.

Also, after big windows updates, run a 'disk cleanup' to remove the residual update files - these do have a big effect!

Any other questions, be happy to help. :)
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:18 pm

I've spent most of the afternoon doing a defrag, re-booted and still just as bad. Then did a disk clean-up and ticked the top box which contained 7.85 GB of old Windows update files (I'd never noticed that one before) and included the others that are ticked anyway, re-booted and hey presto - everything back to normal and just as fast as when the laptop was new only 2 years ago.
Every built-in app opens straight away and all is good again. :)

Thanks JC, have just seen your post. :thumb:

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:26 pm

Welcome Mike :D yeah it's hidden, and I've seen that well over 30GB before :O

Glad it's running smoothly again
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:30 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:12 pm

Any other questions, be happy to help. :)
OK, thanks. :)

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:21 pm

yes James you may be right on that one about driver reviver I cant understand why Mike can do a defrag on W10 as my version does it automatically and also drives are optimised automatically as well my previous versions of windows I have always been able to defrag manually, and to Mike windows update always leaves crap behind and slows things down so always do a disc clean up, also type in Msconfig and view whats in there and some tips should pop up.
anymore thoughts welcome guys
Comfortably Numb

jeallen01

Post by jeallen01 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:05 pm

FWIW, these should help:
- if you still have an "Old Style" HDD, get an SSD, clone the HDD to the SSD (Macrium Reflect Free works very well) and then replace the HDD with the SSD (lot's of info on the net on how to do that). The only m/c here that has not been updated with an SSD runs like a real slug when compared with those which have been.
- uninstall all the "c*ap" that comes with W10 (IObit Uninstaller - the free version - works well) - e.g. all the X-Box stuff if you don't have an X-Box, and there's a hell of a lot more that you will probably don't need!
- Do a regular manual check for possible updates when you have finished working on your machine and then keep it ON to let the update process "get on with it", but then take an occasional look to see if you need to tell it to Reboot to install the new stuff

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:27 am

My 13 year old's Laptop was also running slow, my eldest Son suggested going into setting's & doing a "Refresh". Laptop now working a lot faster.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:16 am

I'm not sure what a 'Refresh' is in a PC/laptop, do you mean a defrag & disk clean-up?

Return to “General Chat”