Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Transport in London

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
POL

Transport in London

Post by POL » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi all,
I'm spending 3 days at Heathrow (Fri/Sat/Sun) staying at a hotel there.

Now, on the Saturday, I'm planning on visiting the IWM and perhaps a few other tourist bits, weather depending. I'd also like to get to City on the Friday, which will involve the DLR as I understand it.

For these three days (I'll be using the bus to get round LHR if required! (I.e. 09s in use)) what do I need? An Oyster card? Pre-paid travel card? Something else? Nothing?

Help! You Southerners can't just make it simple, can you?! ;)

Thanks in advance :)

Chris

colt99

Re: Transport in London

Post by colt99 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:33 pm

If you are visiting different areas Chris, i would suggest a travel card for all zones, this is about £5, and gives you use on the Trains and Buses around London, as long as the station does not route out of the city, ie, stay on london underground and you are ok, it is valid up untill midnight on the day you buy it.
Found this link, it might help
http://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/underground.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HTH
Dave

POL

Post by POL » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks Dave,
Looking on that link you suggest, there is a 3-day Travelcard that's £6 Off-Peak, which seems to be exactly what I need. It does zones 1-6, after 9.30am on the Friday, which is fine, and all day Sat/Sun.

I'd guess all I need to do to get one of the above is to visit an Underground station of some sort?

This is very confusing, it makes the Manchester Bus/Train/Train thing look simple!

Chris

Sheff

Post by Sheff » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Get an Oyster card - makes more sense as it's convenient (especially for diving onto the rear door on bendybuses!) and you can keep whatever credit you don't use for the next time.
...oops, nothing to promote... is that wrong?

headset 57

Post by headset 57 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:02 pm

To get around the 'Row the buses are FREE as is the Heathrow Express( HEX) & Heathrow Connect ( HEC ) trains between all terminals. An all zones 2day travel card will suffice.You can get this from the Ticket office at the Underground stations. Oyster doesn't save you anymore than a travel card,especially just for those 2 days. You can't use the HEX with an Oyster or travel card though.

Take the Piccadilly line into London and change at Holborn,onto the Central and then at Bank for the DLR to City. That'll take about 1.5 hours door to door depending on time of day. Get off at Leicester Square for the touristy bit and you can walk down to T Square, The Mall, Big Ben London Eye, etc.

Sheff

Post by Sheff » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:43 am

Oyster doesn't save you anymore than a travel card

Doesn't lose you anything either, but it's more flexible. Travelcards are the Devil's work!
...oops, nothing to promote... is that wrong?

POL

Post by POL » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:59 pm

So, what i actually want is an Oyster Card, which as far as I can tell is a top-up card that means I can pay for it all in advance and then get on whatever services I want, expect the buses at LHR?

Is that right?

colt99

Post by colt99 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:01 pm

Getting an oyster card could be more expensive, with the oyster card you pay for each journey, i think it's about £1.50 minimum, each time you get on a bus or train, with the travel card you pay once, and can use it all day.
Dave

headset 57

Post by headset 57 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:27 am

Paper ticket is less hassle for a 1 day visit.Oyster ,when it goes wrong does so spectacularly,especially if you don't touch in/out.
It does work on the buses at LHR,but again they're free round the' Row.

POL

Post by POL » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:41 am

So, just paying for the ticket might be easier. That's a thought, I'll just do that and save the hassle of working out what to get :)

Cheers guys!

Chris (Confused of the North.)

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:40 am

colt99 wrote:Getting an oyster card could be more expensive, with the oyster card you pay for each journey, i think it's about £1.50 minimum, each time you get on a bus or train, with the travel card you pay once, and can use it all day.
Dave
I thought Oyster was capped? Used my Oyster card for the first time on wednesday worked a treat :) Went from King's cross to wembley park and wembley park to stanmore cost a total of £3.90
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

headset 57

Post by headset 57 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:27 pm

It's capped to no more than a travel card rate for each day.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandt ... 10628.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:08 pm

You're probably best just getting a Zone 1-6 Travelcard from Hatton X or Central Terminal Area (T1, T2 & T3) tube station. Its simpler and will pay for itself once you've made a couple of journeys. The three day will save you money but very little.
As stated previously the buses around the immediate vacinity of LHR are free. Look on the bus stop and it will have a small label stating 'Free Travel Zone'.

Enjoy your trip mate
http://www.flickr.com/photos/priority1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Chat”