Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Noctilucent cloud.

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
H.A.Bucken

Noctilucent cloud.

Post by H.A.Bucken » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Looks like it could be a clear evening so I'll be looking out tonight around mid-night- saw it around 2330L, 9th inst. Look to the north.
Roger in the S. Lakes.

PS. Didn't see anything last night, 19th as it clouded over way after sunset. It's a bit like looking for the Aurora Borealis; every clear night I take a look north during the winter months before hitting the grunter. Back in 1972 I spent a month on Finland's Arctic Circle and saw nowt though one night the clouds displayed a purple hue. 'twas only while on the ferry from Rotterdam to Hull that I saw a large crimson Aurora.
R.
27th June: Clear evening last night, but no NLC.
Last edited by H.A.Bucken on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

reheat module

Re: Noctilucent cloud.

Post by reheat module » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Well, there's something I didn't know before.
I had a look on google (being previously aware of the term, but seeking information)
Hope you get to see them.
As they say 'Every day's a Schoolday...'
I might sometimes miss my time in the RAF - so every month it reminds me how great it was, with an obscenely big cheque
...Some people are the dog, some are just the lamppost...

Richelli

Post by Richelli » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:45 pm

Caught them last week from carlisle. Just on my phone. Friday night looks clear at the minute so might drive out somewhere for some better shots. They are saying this years are the best recorded so far reaching places further south than ever before linked to a solar minimum of sun spots.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:17 am

H.A.Bucken wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:05 pm
Looks like it could be a clear evening so I'll be looking out tonight around mid-night- saw it around 2330L, 9th inst. Look to the north.
Roger in the S. Lakes.

PS. Didn't see anything last night, 19th as it clouded over way after sunset. It's a bit like looking for the Aurora Borealis; every clear night I take a look north during the winter months before hitting the grunter. Back in 1972 I spent a month on Finland's Arctic Circle and saw nowt though one night the clouds displayed a purple hue. 'twas only while on the ferry from Rotterdam to Hull that I saw a large crimson Aurora.
R.
I saw the Aurora Borealis many years ago when I was sea fishing on the beach at midnight at fresh water east south wales sat looking stearing at the sea wiping my eyes thinking something was wrong with me when the sea kept changing colours looked up at the sky low and behold the northern lights what a sight to behold never ever forget that.

Return to “General Chat”