Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIP Freddie Starr.

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Mark Owen

RIP Freddie Starr.

Post by Mark Owen » Thu May 09, 2019 9:26 pm

Mark Owen.

The Phantom

Re: RIP Freddie Starr.

Post by The Phantom » Fri May 10, 2019 12:04 pm

A shock to hear this mentioned on the tv this morning.
Sad news.

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:19 pm

Sad news RIP, thought he was funnier than Jim Davidson.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat May 11, 2019 4:19 am

Went to see him at the Regent in GY back in the day and the laughs never stopped :lol:

R.I.P. :(
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sat May 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Don't like speaking ill of the dead, although I will admit Freddie Starr was very funny. I knew somebody who worked with him for a summer season. In fact the person I knew acted as stage manager for the show. His verdict was that he was the most unprofessional person he ever worked with. He would turn up late and sometimes worse for wear through drink or maybe something else and he vowed never to work with him again. The person I knew was no saint and could probably drink anybody else under the table, his view was that people had paid good money to see the artist perform and he should be in a fit state to do so, and leave the partying until after, which by some of his tales certain people he worked with sure did, but were fit and sober for their performance the next day.

gyvespa

Post by gyvespa » Sun May 12, 2019 8:28 am

Paddyboy.
I saw him in Gt Yarmouth too, twice.
I think you’ll find it was at the Regal, I can only remember going to the Regent for movies ( and ABC Minors ).

I used to see most of the Summer Shows, the first time I saw Freddie Starr he was Brilliant, however I saw him a few years later and he was a bit poor, lots of ‘toilet humour’ which wasn’t really needed at what was billed as a family show.
Don’t forget he was a very good singer too.

As for ratings.
By far the funniest Russ Abbott.
The best show of Las Vegas standard, Val Doonigan yes really, it was that good, I didn’t want to go to it either.
My favourite though, Rick Myall and Ben Elton on the Pier.

Little known fact, AC/DC played at the Regal, I didn’t go, I hadn’t heard of them at the time.

RIP Freddie.

As for Jim Davidson, I was in a local pub when he came in with the Caister Lifeboat Crew, a fine bunch of lads whom he raised lots of money for.
A girl approached him and had a go, a long loud rant about how racist and sexist he was and how he shouldn’t be allowed to do and say the stuff he did, blah, blah, blah !
After a few minutes of this tirade, she paused to listen to his reply. He just looked he up and down and just said yep, but at least I’m not fat. Then turned and carried on drinking.
Somewhat took the wind out of her sails.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon May 13, 2019 4:11 am

:Oops:

:blush:

Course it was The Regal :blush:

My wife's cousin's hubby is Dick Thurlow, who was coxwain of the Caister Lifeboat, and he wouldn't hear a word against JD ;)
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

gmc007

Post by gmc007 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:24 pm

gyvespa,

Regardless of when this happened, I take it you think racism,sexism and shaming someone for their weight is acceptable ?
gyvespa wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:28 am
As for Jim Davidson, I was in a local pub when he came in with the Caister Lifeboat Crew, a fine bunch of lads whom he raised lots of money for.
A girl approached him and had a go, a long loud rant about how racist and sexist he was and how he shouldn’t be allowed to do and say the stuff he did, blah, blah, blah !
After a few minutes of this tirade, she paused to listen to his reply. He just looked he up and down and just said yep, but at least I’m not fat. Then turned and carried on drinking.
Somewhat took the wind out of her sails.

Return to “General Chat”