Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Memories

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Condor68

Memories

Post by Condor68 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:23 am

Not sure this is the right place but after watching a bit on you tube about the Lightnings at Leuchars and a comment about low flying .elf and sfty etc .I recalled an Air Display at HMS Condor (Arbroath)in the 60`s when numerous planes were doing there thing and the commentator announced the RAF had a new fighter which was about to fly past.A Lightning ripped past at low level seemingly silent .The comment then came from an RAF .Officer in the Tower "There goes one of our Lightnings and here comes its sound" I cant remember the year but I was in primary school (I am 67) but it was awesome.. One twitch ,full tanks low level?

Mike

Re: Memories

Post by Mike » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:33 am

The RAF started receiving the "new" Lightning F6 from late 1966 onwards, it was probably one of these from Leuchars (from either 11 or 23 squadron that were based there at the time) that did the display at Arbroath in 1967. :)

vulcanxl425

Re: Memories

Post by vulcanxl425 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Yes remember this period and RNAS Condor ,weekend glider flying and going so!o.Admiring the Scimitars and Seahawks.Was at airshow i think here 1969 ? with heavy overcast and an all too brief appearance by a R Navy Phantom being the highlight. Happy days.
Al

" Thoir an Aire - Be Always Alert "

Return to “General Chat”