Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

How's the Snow with you?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Dan D'Air

Re: How's the Snow with you?

Post by Dan D'Air » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:47 am

If you know Shell Island campsite adjacent to Llanbedr airfield, then look on Facebook to see the wrecked reception area. The storm blew the roof off and overturned some boats in the harbour area. The river Artro, which flows through Llanbedr village is frozen.
Dan
"Shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree"

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Heavy in Wiltshire again, laying on surfaces that didn't get a covering yesterday.

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Not had much in my part of Bedfordshire but bitterly cold and freezing rain now.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Northampton currently has freezing rain/snow and according to the forecast, it will continue for 18 more hours.
We are okay. Plenty of bread and milk and Heinz Tomato soup!
Curry for tea before I venture out to the local pub for a beer or three.
Normally, at this time of year, I would be giving the campervan a massive annual clean and polish. Maybe next week if the temperature returns to near average for this time of year.(8°c)
Dan

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjzDJhZDw3M A different snow clearing operation. Mods you can delete if you want too.

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Seems like many people on here are physically able to cope with the weather so far, especially the snow.
Please bear in mind the elderly.
I have an elderly neighbour and I've popped to see her everyday over the last week. I see her regularly normally, but it's just the contact; I've done shopping for her, resealed a window and reset the central heating for her so far this week alone. It's not much, but it means a lot for her. As been said earlier, it's the biting wind which is proving to be the real killer.
It's 10 minutes out of our day, and we'll all get to that stage at some time.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:08 pm

reheat module wrote:Seems like many people on here are physically able to cope with the weather so far, especially the snow.
Please bear in mind the elderly.
I have an elderly neighbour and I've popped to see her everyday over the last week. I see her regularly normally, but it's just the contact; I've done shopping for her, resealed a window and reset the central heating for her so far this week alone. It's not much, but it means a lot for her. As been said earlier, it's the biting wind which is proving to be the real killer.
It's 10 minutes out of our day, and we'll all get to that stage at some time.
Brilliant stuff. Same here to some extent albeit a gent who may sometimes feel a bit proud for help? Always been independent? Pride in the way etc. but don't fall for it.

It may mean breaking down a few barriers but deeper down they appreciate any help. No matter how small. Little things go a longer way or probably more so when you're at a grander age.

Must also add this, hats off to you. A great example which more can hopefully aspire too. Anyone can be selfish but the rewards of genuinely helping others are priceless. Put yourselves in their shoes for once?

Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:17 pm

As for the snow, worst now appears over and although still falling in some places only areas already quite badly affected may feel a bit more pain. Minus daytime figures should become less of a feature. Thing is others will probably wonder what all the fuss is about? Such is.

Now just watch the ice, ease off and wait for the thaw. Patience is a virtue and all that.

Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Thaw setting in but certainly no instant return to spring and warmth. Can genuinely see another snow event before the winter gear gets packed for the new season. No mans land next week before a threat of colder air returning. No beast maybe but hardly the feast many would like.

Feast from the west doesn't quite rhyme ;)

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:00 pm

^^^^^
Could it be "The Pest from the West"...?
I've not put my de-icer back in the garage yet, just in case.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:30 pm

reheat module wrote:^^^^^
Could it be "The Pest from the West"...?
I've not put my de-icer back in the garage yet, just in case.
Pest quite possibly? as for de-icer gave up ages ago. First bits of newspaper then an old blanket to cover the screen.

No hassle, no scraping, minus the cost let alone smelling of ethanol, especially when you've showered etc., stuff seems to get everywhere. As for any snow, we ain't seen last of it yet. In fact some could easily see another fair dumping. Only positive it'll melt much more quickly now. Thursday could be colder again with higher parts at risk of some white stuff. Please, no swearing :grr:

gyvespa

Post by gyvespa » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:34 pm

I got sick of hearing about the Beast from the East so I renamed it
The Fluff from Afar.

I thought I’d share this with you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england ... toft-route

God I wish I’d have been there to see it.
Anyone who’s moaning about the local trains being suspended should watch this.

I’m often at Strumpshaw, usually it’s a bit sunnier though.

Stay safe everyone.

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:25 pm

We had 2 inches of snow this morning between 4.0am & 8.0am on the Wirral, the sun came out at 9am and the snow had melted by noon nothing left. Just hopes it does,nt freeze tonight as forecast.

H.A.Bucken

Post by H.A.Bucken » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Made it up North; in the nick of time rail-replacement buses were introduced last Sunday between Carlisle and Glasgow that enabled me to get to Aviemore to exercise the old boots and blades. Tuesday I went up to Inverness for the day, fresh snow that morning. There wasn't any green to be seen among any of the forests: all silvers, greys and white up to Findhorn viaduct (near Culloden Moor), but once across the viaduct all the fields were green and snowless. Baffling, amazed.
Since then I've had two days on "The Hill" (Cairngorm); today was excellent. I'll sleep well tonight.
Roger

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:48 pm

Winter's Coming.
Forecast is for Easterlies to return at the weekend with 0°c day temperature on Sunday in the East. Snow also likely.
Just when I thought that spring was here.
Dan

Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Whether it sticks, maybe some snow back for a few tonight onwards, hardly exceptional despite some of the usual media hype. What is maybe a little different is the frequency of snowfall, this into the next season. Should mostly be gone by June or July, bar the mountain top aside?

Again hardly unusual. If you do find a bar, good find. That would be exceptional. :ninja:

Funtera

Post by Funtera » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:40 pm

motorway area teams are out gritting from midnight in the midlands.. safe trips if you're out and about
Fox2 Refugee & HATO
EOS50D + 70-300mm IS USM .. +Luck = My Pics

Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Fair to say and for quite a few this is now becoming a disruptive snowy spell. Roads are impassable in places, could be worse than the last in terms of actual depth, although some parts of Wales, Scotland and other northern areas were cut off.

Without spelling the obvious, be careful out.

Funtera

Post by Funtera » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:37 pm

showing -4 degrees C in my car now .. add in wind chill and this snow's freezing in places ..
As Terry says ... Be Careful if You're out
Fox2 Refugee & HATO
EOS50D + 70-300mm IS USM .. +Luck = My Pics

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:51 am

-2c here in mid Wales this morning with 10cm of Snow & still Snowing. Met Office still calling it "The Beast from the East" Maybe after last weeks events should be renamed "Putin's Puff"! :whistle: :whistle:

Return to “General Chat”