Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Another Sparrowhawk

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
mirage41

Another Sparrowhawk

Post by mirage41 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:24 am

Shortly before 06.00, whilst inspecting the estate, I noticed a Sparrowhawk bobbing along our rear fence.
About the size of a Pigeon, hence believe to be male, with beautiful barring to the tail feathers.
Guess he knows that neighbours thick conifer hedge, that abuts our fence, is stacked with supplies including Goldfinch/Wren/Sparrow and Blackbird.
Will be looking out now for our more frequent visitors - Buzzard and Red Kite - not above 500 feet.

Philly1971

Re: Another Sparrowhawk

Post by Philly1971 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:50 pm

What a privilege to see such a beautiful bird. We have neighbours who have bird feeders, so we occasionally get a female sparrow-hawk swoop low across our garden as she uses our high fences to hide below until the last second. Also had a male Kestral land on our fence recently, for about a second until he saw our cat! We’re in Epping and have a big family of Buzzards locally, but have also started seeing two Red Kites within the past year or so. They are so different to the buzzards as they fly low along the tree lines and really bother the wood pigeons a lot, whereas little seems bothered by the buzzards, apart from the crows, who attack them continuously. Have to admire the crows cahoonas! Seeing all this has been a massive treat of working from home over the past 18 months.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:16 am

I'm out in the country with bird feeders.Was standing on the lawn a year ago when a blackbird came swooping low over the fence, followed by a Sparrowhawk than missed me by about a foot!!, Sadly the blackbird didn't make it. My wife was gardening a month or two ago, called me over, and there, behind the lilac tree was a fully grown Kestrel, just stood there!!. It obviously had a problem, so I went to get some gloves and catch it, but when I returned, it had flown away!. We guessed that it had probably flown into the shed, or something, and concussed itself, but a lovely sight. Even if you are not interested in birds, it's impossible to ignore them here in lovely Suffolk. :)

Colbytheplaneguy

Post by Colbytheplaneguy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:44 am

not to mention that birds were the main inspiration to the Wright brothers to make their first glider
you can go fast, i can go anywhere.
(helicopter quote) :thumb:

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:52 pm

Or possibly Otto Lilienthal and George Cayley well before them.

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:28 pm

We stay in the middle of Carnoustie but still have the occassional Sparrow Hawk drop in for visit Often stay for quite a while but only once have I seen one have a go at anything of the other birds in the garden.He missed

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:24 pm

Much as I love my garden birds, I have, very reluctantly decided to stop feeding them. When I draw my conservatory curtains in the morning, and see 9 wood pigeons waiting for the smaller birds to arrive so that they can wait underneath the feeders for dropped seeds, then I despair!!. My neighbours complain [nicely] about the noise they make, and the ridiculous amount of mess these rats with wings leave, then it is time to stop. I may feed them in the severe cold for a time, but I have had pigeons up to here and beyond!!!.

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:56 am

You can borrow our cat Raptor .We had a lot of them at the feeder .She got two and over a 4 week period there were always tail feathers at the bottom of the garden.Only have 2 now and she seems to leave them alone.Its Starlings we have most off, literally dozens of them .When I go out in the evening to give the garden a water our hedges seem to explode with them. Pretty impressive the way they swoop about in close formation without hitting each other.
We had a visit by Fieldfares this year first time I had seen them.Neighbour had a large bush/tree covered with red berries ,a couple Feildfares turned up in the morning,then more and more of them.Tree was bare by teatime they scoffed the lot.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:58 am

Many thanks for the offer Condor. :) Sadly my Senior Management is allergic to cats. :( but not to spending my money or cruises etc., :)

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:07 am

As to cruises,pointing out there is always the ships cat might help you economise.

mirage41

Post by mirage41 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:49 pm

This afternoon, 16.00, pair of Buzzard circling overhead - not above 300 feet.
Above them, a four ship of Red Kite - not below 500 feet - screeching their displeasure at having to share the airspace.

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:24 pm

I must confess I quite like the wood pigeons, they seem to be the ‘new pigeon’, as I just don’t see many ordinary pigeons in Epping. I have to say Raptor, the benefit of having these rats with wings hoovering up the fallen seed is that you don’t get actual rats doing it instead. I had to stop feeding the birds in my garden as within minutes of putting seed out I was getting a rat taking it all. We have a field behind us so I don’t mind the rat, it’s his land as well, but decided I would be happier if he went elsewhere for his dinner. Also my cat was starting to stalk it, and having him bring live mice into the house and releasing them is one thing, but not so sure I would be quite so happy if he did it with a live and angry rat!!

anthony martin

Post by anthony martin » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:40 pm

i know how you feel raptor9, i hate the bl###y things

Return to “General Chat”