Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Formula 1 2021

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
seven

Re: Formula 1.

Post by seven » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:32 pm

Ifs and buts don't win championships, and Mercedes have just given Red Bull a bigger advantage on both. This is the closest season for the title since 2008, and silly mistakes like today are the reason they'll end up second best to arguably the second best team. If by some miracle Mercedes/Hamilton do win one or both of the championships this year, it'll be because of Sir Lewis, not the team.

Fascinating how they ignored Bottas, known to be a master at reading his own tyres, and continued with the one stop. Then there was not pitting for the chance at fastest lap.. Again, both top teams could learn alot by looking at the midfield performances today, especially McLaren. If they don't finish P3, (or P2 if Mercedes carry on at this rate) it'll be a travesty.

#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:28 am

Not such a good day for Red Bull as their T-28B crashed when returning to base after an air show in the Czech Republic sadly killing both of the occupants.
Last edited by plmc135 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:40 am

I thought it was the best race for ages as you didn't know who the winner would be. It was inspired/brave to pit Max from the lead as in the words of Coulthard , track position is king.

I have always rated Perez and he was there again to pick up the pieces if Max and Lewis played bumper cars

Glad vettel is picking up some points, still one of my favourite drivers.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:49 pm

Rosie Waite, head of Mercedes Race Strategy, went on maternity leave after the Spanish Grand Prix....................conclusions could be drawn???. Did know about the T.28, I thought there was 1 killed, 1 survived. Sad.

The Cat

Post by The Cat » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:22 am

Well I've been an avid F1 fan since 1968 and been to many overseas GP's. I have also never in my life been interested in football and would probably struggle to name more than 5 players.
However the last few weeks i have started to watch the Euro 20 games and find myself getting far more excited and giving more 'oohs and aahs' than i do when watching an F! race !
Probable because i remember the time when you could drive to Silverstone with no problems even on race day, park close to the track, which was the track then grass then you but most importantly the racing was exciting.
I must admit i find these tracks with concrete run off areas and a driver being penalised by the stewards for doing so rather than spinning more akin to a PS4 game.
I still like the 10 minute build up before and the first lap but then...............

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Likewise! Old days at Silverstone!!. Less than £2 to get every one in the car in!. I remember sleeping on the roof of our friends van waiting for the gates to open. Copse was my favourite spot. I echo your thoughts about run-off, but,...old days, no seat belts. grass, solid earth bank..., no debris fences, injuries and worse. Glad it's safer now, even if not so spectacular. :( Still find it hard to do football, although I HAVE watched the England matches.....Only because I am a Patriotic Englishman!.]

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:52 pm

I think Mercedes need to take some rear wing off to get more speed down the straight, otherwise the result will be the same next Sunday!!. Will have to hope Lewis can compensate for the subsequent lack of downforce though.

seven

Post by seven » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:14 am

Apparently they will then lose cornering speed for a small gain in top speed. Better off keeping as is and sitting in the slipstream in the hope of a chance/error, certainly was working in France til Lulu backed off.

Reportably Mercedes have stopped developing this years car and switched focus to next year, which if true must be an easy win for Red Bull and boy wonder.

Only hope is that promised rain actually turns up this time...

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:57 am

Yes. The cornering speed then becomes a problem, but Lewis may be able to compensate Swings and roundabouts. The results and the gap in finishing times show just how good these two drivers are compared with the others. Felt sorry for George Russell, good drive [as usual] for Lando.

seven

Post by seven » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:15 am

He won't, its just too much with these cars.

But yes, Perez and Bottas were a bit nowhere that race, and its not as if either can argue the other was holding them up, as they switched positions and gained no ground to the top 2. First time in a while I've seen a 5 tier race (1-Ver, 2-Ham, 3-Bot/Per, 4-mid field, 5-Haas)

And yes, gotta feel for GR, beginning to think Mercedes might not take him on as he's too unlucky!

The Cat

Post by The Cat » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:29 pm

Watched the "Austrian" GP and literally fell asleep half way through !

seven

Post by seven » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:53 pm

It says something when the star of the verstappen show is hardly shown. Apart from the very end when we have to watch him when there's clearly been an incident elsewhere, as can be seen by the 'yellow flag sector 2' notification and 2 drivers dropping down the standings..

Yet again Mercedes throwing away valuable points and failing to capitalise on red bull eff up. Albeit less so the garages fault this time.

Good to see McLaren up there yet again, and Lando especially is looking like pound for pound the best driver on the grid IMO.

Heres hoping for either a level playing field at the front or some rain come Silverstone.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:04 am

My feeling is that Mercedes are quite willing to concede the Drivers Championship this year, otherwise they would be continuing with upgrades, which they are admitting that they are not with this car. There is little doubt that the Red Bull is now the quicker car, and I would rate Max and Lewis as pretty equal driverwise. Mercedes have little to prove, and I suspect the new car [where all the work is being put into] will be a winner. As you say, nice to see Mclaren on the rise. Always been a fan after meeting the man himself [Bruce Mclaren] in the early days at Colnbrook. Great driving by Lando!. :thumb:

seven

Post by seven » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:15 pm

Id agree with that. Though they are going to look pretty stupid if come Australia(?) next year they are even further back!

seven

Post by seven » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:07 am

Australia off, fingers crossed for a sensible replacement race (Sakir be nice. Maybe add Doha aswell as Brazil and Mexico just before are suspect).

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:14 am

I saw on Twitter there was a lot of talk about Sepang being able to hold night races now. That would be quite something!
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:42 am

Not a lover of night races. I don't really see the point, to be honest. :S

seven

Post by seven » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:14 pm

One or two maybe. But I think we have too many now. Could do with Singapore being switched to daytime.

I think it works with Bahrain. But would have been nice last year to have one of the two day and the other night..

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 am

Sad news for those of us who remember him. Carlos Reutemann has died, aged 79. Very good Williams driver back in the day. A true gentleman who went into Politics and would have no doubt have become Argentinian President if he had stood.

seven

Post by seven » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:03 pm

That was predictable :whistle:

Return to “General Chat”