Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

COVID-19 UK

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
roger4

Re: COVID-19 UK

Post by roger4 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:17 pm

jimbo wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:51 am
And for Covid its estimated at 60-70%...
Which is what I said, the 73% was an estimate.
jimbo wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:51 am
And I'm firmly in the YES camp for the avoidance of doubt...otherwise why bother following the data and getting vaccinated
I don't think I have ever had any doubt which camp you are in, from your previous posts.

However I find the comment "following the data" interesting because that does not seem to be what you are advocating. You want a more rapid than planned relaxation of the lockdown based on estimates from UCL. Their modelling is not data: by definition data refers to events that have happened and have been measured/counted. The UCL model tries to predict the future, but comes with the proviso "if the model is correct". I'm not saying their model is wrong, indeed on the balance of probabilities I would say their model seems more likely to be right than wrong. But as we are dealing with life and death, and with long-Covid affecting up to 10% of those who contract the disease, I believe it is too big a risk to assume they are right at this stage.

Why not wait a few weeks, say a couple of months, and have actual data to follow?

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:26 pm

Indeed will continue to be complaining about being locked up still in a prison when one of the ways out would be some form of card (or passport). If the rest of Europe goes down the Covid passport line, you will be permanently stuck in UK. After all the success we appear to be having at the moment let us not rush at what is hopefully the last hurdle and come crashing down.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:54 pm

Thats fine you can all look for reasons to stay in while I'm happy to look for reasons to get out.

I think the European ID card is a little different as its also travel document to ease movement in the EEA and Switzerland, we also allowed EU citizens to use it to come here, still do until later this year I think. Its also not compulsory in all EU states.

If Europe goes down the Covid proof route I'll have too as travel there is part of my job, I don't have to like it though.

The data says to me, infections have levelled off, admissions to hospital continue to fall, deaths continue to fall, the case to serious illness link is no longer as valid as it was 12 months ago.

Weren't we at the final hurdle at least 4 times last year...don't remember getting over it.

Right time for a pint with my neighbour, within the rules of course.

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:57 am

UK Govt has released its report from the Global Travel Taskforce

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/glob ... nal-travel

Nothing we didnt know already in there then, and nothing to instill confidence for travel adding a good few hundred pounds per trip for a family(or even individual) with the tests for green flagged countries

hopefully over the next few months the airlines, airports and travel agents can get together to sort some cheaper package arrangements that can be built into the holidays to easy peoples concerns (like where do I get tested at my destination before returning to UK)

and lets not loose site of the fact there is no information as to what your destination country may require (so more tests outbound, and possibly a test 2 days after arrival on holiday)

even people travelling for business or other none leisure activities are going to struggle with the testing requirements

and the days of hoping on a low cost carrier flight to hop over to Europe for a days plane spotting either planned or or on a whim I see as gone for a fair while yet

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:02 am

Seems the Welsh government think like i do...follow the data and ease some restrictions sooner.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56680593

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:57 am

Time will tell whether that is a good idea or a foolish one. Personally I am prepared to wait until Monday, then I shall be out and about.

C24

Post by C24 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:20 am

raptor9 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:56 am
Butr what on earth is wrong with identity papers!!. Most countries have them, and, without casting aspersions at any one, surely it is only people that have something to hide that need to fear them!!. Why not give everyone a DNA test at birth??. Same argument applies!!.
Aren’t we already at being monitored electronically? Credit cards, mobile phone/smartphones, computer IP, car registration, insurance policies and CCTV.
It can only get worse. Implants at birth will soon be considered by controlling governments.

The other day I can across the WW2 cards issued to my parents and me. Nothing new in this world
Monday is due to be the start of a whole new era of life 🏍 ⛷ 🪂 🏋️ 🏊🏼
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:41 am

Yep ID cards nothing new for us in the UK; my one is knocking around somewhere here at home, really do not see the issue about holding one.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:06 am

Implant at birth would solve many problems IMO!. Crime could become almost non-existent, prisons would be almost empty etc., As I said earlier, why would people need to be worried about this if they are law-abiding. Nothing to fear from this at all!.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:15 am

Totally agree, John :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:47 am

C24 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:20 am
raptor9 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:56 am
Butr what on earth is wrong with identity papers!!. Most countries have them, and, without casting aspersions at any one, surely it is only people that have something to hide that need to fear them!!. Why not give everyone a DNA test at birth??. Same argument applies!!.
Aren’t we already at being monitored electronically? Credit cards, mobile phone/smartphones, computer IP, car registration, insurance policies and CCTV.
It can only get worse. Implants at birth will soon be considered by controlling governments.

The other day I can across the WW2 cards issued to my parents and me. Nothing new in this world
Monday is due to be the start of a whole new era of life 🏍 ⛷ 🪂 🏋️ 🏊🏼
We already have various forms of government identity. NHS numbers, National Insurance numbers, Tax UTC's, Driving Licenses, Passports etc. However, unlike most other countries, in the UK you don't have to carry ID at all times, and very few people have the right to demand you produce ID (section 25 of PACE).

The issue isn't about identity cards per-se, it's about who can demand to access any information in/on them, and what they will do with that information.

I charge £1000 per piece of information that someone wants me to give them, unless I am legally required to give that information. :P

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:30 pm

A slightly surprising anecdote in the Daily Torygraph

'Forty per cent of US marines have refused Covid jab
Nearly 40 per cent of US marines offered the coronavirus vaccine have refused it, according to figures released by the Pentagon, our US Correspondent David Millward reports.

The vaccine has been made available to 123,500 marines, of whom 75,500 have been inoculated, but a further 48,000 have declined the Covid-19 jab - representing a refusal rate of 38.9 per cent.

Another 100,000 marines have yet to be offered the jab.'

Hopefully the Marine Corps combat pilots on the HMS QNLZ will have had the jab ( will they even set foot in England?)

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:00 pm

I thought the only question a US Marine ever asked was "how high sir?" when told to jump!

Seriously though I wonder what their reasons are?

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:40 am

According to 'Jack Reacher' author Lee Childs, MARINE is an acronym for 'muscles are required, intelligence not expected' . I'll get my coat.............

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:55 am

Nighthawke wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:00 pm
I thought the only question a US Marine ever asked was "how high sir?" when told to jump!

Seriously though I wonder what their reasons are?
I would hazard a guess and say ethnicity being that seems to be stumbling block this side of the Atlantic ?

big john

Post by big john » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:18 pm

Everything's all right now! The Southern Heathrow Testing Centre now closes at 13:30L, (opens 08:00L) so obviously not needed in the afternoons anymore. I went past just after 13:00 and the yellow jackets were heading to the centre of the site on their way home.
Although it has never been very busy throughout the pandemic. Though there looks to be a room to serve a couple of hundred cars at a time. Most I ever saw in one pass was 21.

Re: the Marines refusing the vaccine: do they observe Ramadan? There is a story doing the rounds that taking the vaccine will be breaking fasting rules.
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:31 pm

big john wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:18 pm
Everything's all right now! The Southern Heathrow Testing Centre now closes at 13:30L, (opens 08:00L) so obviously not needed in the afternoons anymore. I went past just after 13:00 and the yellow jackets were heading to the centre of the site on their way home.
Although it has never been very busy throughout the pandemic. Though there looks to be a room to serve a couple of hundred cars at a time. Most I ever saw in one pass was 21.

Re: the Marines refusing the vaccine: do they observe Ramadan? There is a story doing the rounds that taking the vaccine will be breaking fasting rules.
Re Ramadan, it has already been decreed that the taking the vaccine won't break that fast as it contains no nutrition...only know this from a colleague.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:16 am

Bang on, Jimbo, as we have a Muslim couple a few doors away who confirmed that fact ;)
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

big john

Post by big john » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:45 am

The problem with any vaccine during Ramadhan is the water used for injection. The consumption of liquids is also banned during fasting. The vaccine can of course be taken between sunset and sunrise, but are the centres open then?
I believe the religious leaders have given an exemption. but as in all strata of society there are extremists who won't accept things that disagree with their ideas.
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:33 am

big john wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:45 am
The problem with any vaccine during Ramadhan is the water used for injection. The consumption of liquids is also banned during fasting. The vaccine can of course be taken between sunset and sunrise, but are the centres open then?
I believe the religious leaders have given an exemption. but as in all strata of society there are extremists who won't accept things that disagree with their ideas.
It's already been cleared by religious leaders as injections for non nutritional substances do not invalidate the fast regardless of the substance entering the blood circulation, these routes are not classed as entry sites which would invalidate the fast.

Good to see the roll out of vaccinations now down to those in late 40's.

Return to “General Chat”