Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

COVID-19 UK

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Pune

Re: COVID-19 UK

Post by Pune » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:11 am

plmc135 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:05 am
C24 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:27 pm
😷

On the subject of clots, can I get something off my chest using FC.

Last March, two friends decided to go on their annual skiing holiday to Italy. We’ll be ok, it is pretty isolated where we are going. Four days after arriving, the lifts were closed, they stayed another day before travelling back to the UK.
Last weekend they sent out an email to about 15 others in our Team saying that they were off to London to bubble for a long weekend with their elder son and his family. Continuing that this weekend they would be off to Shropshire and staying with their other child and his family.

Down the road is a house with two other families from over 80 miles away (two locations) staying with parents.

With luck my wife will receive her second jab in three weeks and I will feel less worried about her survival.

Thank goodness for getting our groceries delivered 👐🏼🤡🚀
Hopefully you have reported all this activity to your local boys in blue. All very interesting for FC but sounds like action needs taking on the financial front.
Couldn't agree more, report these people, they are breaking the law, no one would blame you.. :(
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

C24

Post by C24 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:28 pm

😷

Which of my feet would you recommend that I shoot myself? Last time I spoke to the blue people about some youths damaging a Council bench I needed to replace both mirrors on my car.

Perhaps I should remove myself from FC too
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:28 am

The only way to get this off your chest is to report it to the appropriate authorities. There is nothing anybody on here can do and failing to do so could mean a risk of these people not only infecting themselves but also others they subsequently meet. Some might argue that not reporting what you have seen is condoning it.

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:16 am

😷
It would seem that both instances are/would be unlikely to result in any action. There is insufficient evidence available to proceed with the resources available.
If a road traffic unit had made a random check, perhaps a verbal warning would have been the outcome.

Store this, above, for future reference

Only two more weeks before my wife is due her second jab.

👐🏼 🤡 🛰 🚀 🛸
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:32 pm

Just watched the open and transparent AZ vaccine update broadcast on the BBC chaired by Professor Van-Tam ( apologies if I have the name wrong)

Sounds like a 'Course correction' is happening in the vaccine program in that the advice is for under 30s to receive a vaccine other than the AZ dose?

In the UK there have been 79 cases of blood clots 'attributed'** to the AZ vaccine and sadly 19 people have died including 3 people under 30.

** The briefing said that it is not conclusive that the vaccine caused clots as Covid-19 also causes similar blood clots but the case is getting stronger and the possible Thrombosis side effects will be added to the list of possible side effects

The emphasis was placed on the massive balance in favour of older people getting the second dose due to the risks from Covid-19 but that advice to younger people under 30 is to be modified due to a less defined risk vs benefit of the AZ vaccine.

So people under 31 are to be offered Pfizer or Moderns jab.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:11 pm

I thought the EU one was pretty good too. A lot of reassurance but clear and straightforward and trustable information.

As JVT said - had they suggested 12 months ago we would have had so much positive vaccine news nobody would have believed it.

Thank goodness it was left to the scientists to deliver the information and the politicians kept well away.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:20 pm

I have seen the edited high-lights of the EU update - I wonder if like the UK update they took live questions from Journalists?

I am not complaining, a free press is important and scrutiny is of course important but this scrutiny could undermine vaccine confidence particularly among the Twitter generation whom only seem to receive spoon fed edited google news high-lights or is that unfair to people under 35?

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pm

A scientist friend four doors down from me says that it is physically impossible to design a vaccine that will suit 100% of the population, because peoples genes vary so much.e.g. some peoples arms ache after the jab, some have a headache. some have no side effects at all. He describes the furore over the AZ vaccine as nothing more than a witch-hunt by the press, with no basis in reality.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:11 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pm
A scientist friend four doors down from me says that it is physically impossible to design a vaccine that will suit 100% of the population, because peoples genes vary so much.e.g. some peoples arms ache after the jab, some have a headache. some have no side effects at all. He describes the furore over the AZ vaccine as nothing more than a witch-hunt by the press, with no basis in reality.
Completely agree...press being unable to criticise the government due to covid law turning their evil eye on the one good thing happening at the moment.

17 people out of 30 million...really? This is not a story

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:47 pm

jimbo wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:11 pm
raptor9 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pm
Completely agree...press being unable to criticise the government due to covid law turning their evil eye on the one good thing happening at the moment.

17 people out of 30 million...really? This is not a story
Correct, more die from clot or thrombosis from flying travel each year, 300 plus was a figure. Could it be a thing with the young not active enough who have had the vaccine, sitting all day on xbox. Just that for under 30s to have got the jab we are not in that age band yet so these must be an at risk group getting the jab.
Clinical obesity is common in our young and at risk group.

Just look at people who cannot take certain medicines, more die from pain killers or relief each year then most know,
Common one is opiate based pain relief. Be surprised how many people have bad reactions to that one.

We never got all this when i was a kid, in the 60s you got vaccinations for measles
, TB. mumps, etc, today these infections are pretty much been eradicated from mind but before i was born they was many bad stuff about that killed many young.

55 this year and was vaccinated as a kid around 50 years ago, so we have done good
Over 50 years to keep at bay many harmful viruses.

Think most forget about your tetanus jab that is probably the most commonly known
Jab people have today. Now the press do not go on about this common jab and how or the others with figures of reactions from these.
As stated before, you are a good risk more of a clot from a long flight too or from a holiday abroad.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:03 am

Totally agree with you, John & Jimbo :clap:

I can remember, as a nipper, getting jabs for Polio, Diptheria, TB, etc :whistle:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:29 am

I think all the Government is doing is putting out the information - they said themselves that there is no need to worry and the press head lines that I have seen are basically keep calm and carry on jabbing. I am not on social media, unless you count FC, so I don't know what the buzz is amongst teenagers

jpickers56

Post by jpickers56 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:17 am

BBC Breakfast lead with this story this morning flogging it to death, interviewed a number of 'experts' who in fact all gave the same line that there is nothing to be concerned about and that it is only precautionary that under 30's will be offered a different vaccine. I did get the impression that Naga and Charlie were probing for more negativity with this particular vaccine without success to continue their anti-government stance. Fergus Walsh, medical correspondent, however goes against the grain and paints a far more positive picture on the whole Covid story when presenting his report. Of course this could be just my biased opinion as anti BBC at the moment.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:29 am

I find Naga whateverhernameis to be a very negative interviewer , always looking to catch people out rather than asking questions most people would like to hear the answer for.

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:30 am

The result of all the bad press could be that we may never see another PLC like AZ providing a critical vaccine at cost.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56570364
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:41 am

jpickers56 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:17 am
BBC Breakfast lead with this story this morning flogging it to death, interviewed a number of 'experts' who in fact all gave the same line that there is nothing to be concerned about and that it is only precautionary that under 30's will be offered a different vaccine. I did get the impression that Naga and Charlie were probing for more negativity with this particular vaccine without success to continue their anti-government stance. Fergus Walsh, medical correspondent, however goes against the grain and paints a far more positive picture on the whole Covid story when presenting his report. Of course this could be just my biased opinion as anti BBC at the moment.
I used to be a staunch BBC supporter but i think their "reporting" has been negatively biased throughout the whole epidemic...I actually don't think they are anti government fact i feel they have been mouthpiece for propaganda like stories.

Back on topic, it seems a number of scientists are now accepting the fact that most already knew, that being that the vaccine is breaking the link between cases and serious illness and death...what are they paid for, surely any one of us cold of told them that would happen with a succesful vaccine.

Also just listened to another report saying that the UK will reach herd immunity on Monday with 73% of the population having detectable antibodies from either previous infection or vaccine...is it time to think about speeding up the return to normal life?

I guess quite a few here will say no.

roger4

Post by roger4 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:38 am

Herd immunity doesn't just happen like a switch being flicked, it takes time (months) for the virus to decline. And the 73% figure is an estimate anyway, it has not been proven scientifically - the figure is different for each virus, and for example for measles is 94%.

So you are right, I would vote "no" to more rapid easing out of lockdown.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:51 am

And for Covid its estimated at 60-70%...

I'll bow to your superior scientific knowledge...but the figures came from the University College London

And I'm firmly in the YES camp for the avoidance of doubt...otherwise why bother following the data and getting vaccinated

I'm also against any form of covid passport, its totally against my perceived civil liberties, pandemic. flu, cold, whatever...slippery slope to identity papers.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:56 am

Butr what on earth is wrong with identity papers!!. Most countries have them, and, without casting aspersions at any one, surely it is only people that have something to hide that need to fear them!!. Why not give everyone a DNA test at birth??. Same argument applies!!.

Alf

Post by Alf » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:59 am

jimbo wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:51 am
And for Covid its estimated at 60-70%...

I'll bow to your superior scientific knowledge...but the figures came from the University College London

And I'm firmly in the YES camp for the avoidance of doubt...otherwise why bother following the data and getting vaccinated

I'm also against any form of covid passport, its totally against my perceived civil liberties, pandemic. flu, cold, whatever...slippery slope to identity papers.
Not sure what the problem is with identity papers as you call them are. Most of Europe have ID cards (UK tried about 10 years ago too but failed).Doesn't seem to be an issue for the rest of Europe.. not sure where your slippery slope is.. but be careful if you fall down it.

Return to “General Chat”