Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Another Phone Scam

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Post Reply
george
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:40 am
Location: Great Grimsby DN37

Another Phone Scam

Post by george » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:00 am

Hi.
Another phone scam this morning, a call from Sandanter Security asking
me to press 1 to authorise or 2 to cancel a pending purchase 0f 345 pounds.
Guess someone will press a button and get a hefty charge on their phone bill.

George S.

baz1
Posts: 4199
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am
Location: lincoln between scampton and waddington

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by baz1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:15 am

i have pressed 1 a few times and when they answear I say Fraud Detection how can I help they soon hang up, phone bill as never been affected, also you you get internet calls through the land line.

Vulcan74
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by Vulcan74 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:09 pm

Watch out for Apex Assure ( Premier Protect 365 ) insurance offering cover for white goods etc!!

pg1610
Posts: 1146
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by pg1610 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:16 pm

Easy to deal with these sort of calls DON`T Answer the phone to numbers you don`t know

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 19115
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: 514 miles from EGVA

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by Mike » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:17 pm

Also be on the lookout for texts from HMRC saying that you owe tax or you have a tax rebate, they would never text you.

baz1
Posts: 4199
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am
Location: lincoln between scampton and waddington

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by baz1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:46 pm

Mike wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:17 pm
Also be on the lookout for texts from HMRC saying that you owe tax or you have a tax rebate, they would never text you.
had all of them and some

iainpeden
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:20 pm

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by iainpeden » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:07 am

Mike wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:17 pm
Also be on the lookout for texts from HMRC saying that you owe tax or you have a tax rebate, they would never text you.
Wife had a similar one from "DVLA" yesterday offering a refund on road tax.

baz1
Posts: 4199
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am
Location: lincoln between scampton and waddington

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by baz1 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:14 am

and now Texts from British Gas, if you reply to the text it comes straight back with whatever you put in the reply written into the original text, don't you just love em!!

timb
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by timb » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:37 pm

Mine was from amazon

User avatar
paddyboy
Posts: 19911
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: Somewhere in Norfolk

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by paddyboy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:34 pm

Just had one purporting to be from HSBC, telling me someone had accessed my account and to please click onto the link below :O

In your dreams, matey🤬
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife


Image
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

User avatar
Blackcat1
Posts: 21001
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:06 pm
Location: Southern edge of the Brecon Beacons, South Wales

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:10 pm

Are any of these numbers a 01622 number?
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Supra
Posts: 1787
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by Supra » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:14 pm

Just yesterday I received a call on my never knowingly used landline from an "Agent" advising my internet would be cut-off within 24 hrs unless.... My reply, Just do it, bye!
Today... The more common (apparently, now I have checked ;) ) call on my mobile from 0515 (India). The guy was yabbering in such a thick accent I had no idea what he said! Upshot was he advised me of a security breach on my BT Internet Service. I asked him for my name, A/c number, first line of address, to which he had no idea. I knew he wouldn't anyway as I'm not with BT.!!! :)

baz1
Posts: 4199
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am
Location: lincoln between scampton and waddington

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by baz1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Supra wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:14 pm
Just yesterday I received a call on my never knowingly used landline from an "Agent" advising my internet would be cut-off within 24 hrs unless.... My reply, Just do it, bye!
Today... The more common (apparently, now I have checked ;) ) call on my mobile from 0515 (India). The guy was yabbering in such a thick accent I had no idea what he said! Upshot was he advised me of a security breach on my BT Internet Service. I asked him for my name, A/c number, first line of address, to which he had no idea. I knew he wouldn't anyway as I'm not with BT.!!! :)
Snap, they are so darned thick it beggers belief

Rugbyref
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by Rugbyref » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:06 pm

Before I installed Skytalk Shield, I used to annoy them by answering them in German or French. My son went one better and just used random words ‘elephant, seventeen, water, bicycle.’

Rugbyref
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by Rugbyref » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:07 pm

Mike wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:17 pm
Also be on the lookout for texts from HMRC saying that you owe tax or you have a tax rebate, they would never text you.
Indeed, they are most unlikely to have your phone number or email, let alone use that as a medium.

Condor68
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: Carnoustie

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by Condor68 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:00 pm

I had one similar to Supra but I let him finish then asked him a lot of technical questions based on being an ex broadband engineer.once I got bored giving him abbreviations i had made up as they will have changed since I left.I told him he had been tracked to the extensin he was using.Instant hang up.I then reported it to the local police who are trying to do something about it.After I hung up guess who called ?

Rugbyref
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by Rugbyref » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:36 am

In these housebound times you find amusement where you can. My wife has just had one of the scam emails, and we check to see how many factual, grammatical or usage errors we can find. Mixed singular and plural, £ after the amount, etc etc. Sad eh!

welshandy
Posts: 2713
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: Bewdley opposite the SVR

Re: Another Phone Scam

Post by welshandy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:35 am

baz1 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:18 pm
Supra wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:14 pm
Just yesterday I received a call on my never knowingly used landline from an "Agent" advising my internet would be cut-off within 24 hrs unless.... My reply, Just do it, bye!
Today... The more common (apparently, now I have checked ;) ) call on my mobile from 0515 (India). The guy was yabbering in such a thick accent I had no idea what he said! Upshot was he advised me of a security breach on my BT Internet Service. I asked him for my name, A/c number, first line of address, to which he had no idea. I knew he wouldn't anyway as I'm not with BT.!!! :)
Snap, they are so darned thick it beggers belief
I've had about 12 of these calls in the last 2 Days on my Landline. 11 of them where "we have missed you, to prevent your internet being disconnected press 1. The Indian Guy I did speak to said he was from BT Technical. My reply was "so am I" & he hung up!!

Post Reply

Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ANDUKE, d555, rh226 and 21 guests