Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

COVID-19 UK

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
jimbo

Re: COVID-19 UK

Post by jimbo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:30 pm

mustang5861 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:26 pm
jimbo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:32 pm
Don't know what its like where you are but all the takeaways here only allow one person in at a time and you wait outside till food ready.
About as likely as noodles growing on trees.
I'm old enough to remember that Panorama April fools report.

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:32 pm

some comparison numbers, (France/Spain not issued today yet)

total cases new cases total dead new dead
UK 3,211,576 47,525 84,767 1,564
Italy 2,319,036 15,774 80,326 507
Germany 1,965,414 7,847 43,714 511

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:38 pm

jimbo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:29 pm
Hope jimbo doesnt mind as i know people do not like this sort of thing, but the info is already somewhere in this thread!

I believe he is following the rules, but is using his right to voice his dislike for them. He and his good lady have already been stricken by Covid-19(last month?), the initial contact more than likely from her working as a nurse(?).

You do raise a good point about where people are contracting this virus, and i think its about time the UK governments started telling everyone where transmission is occurring. The Scottish advisor yesterday went on about why they are looking at tightening restrictions that was based on where positive tested people had been in the 48hrs before their test. I would prefer they were finding out where transmission is more than likely occurring and telling people. However, it may be a bit early, but i think people are getting the hint with the way figures have stabilized up here.
Thanks for the above, you hit the nail on the head re rules...I won't tell her you called her a nurse :halo:

seems your big leader thinks its from takeaways or at least collecting them from indoors...alcohol obviously is major killer too (can you tell she abstains) I can tell you where transmission is more likely, at home. People need to work, not everyone can work at home, you need to shop, you need to exercise, then you go home and bingo...cosy warm environment, close family (immediate) contact. Maybe they'll have to curtail the investigation into her maybe telling porkies to the commission into Salmond?
[/quote]

Whatever she does, it is all appreciated! :thumbs:

Takeaways where people are coming and going are not being closed because that is definitely where transmission is occurring, its more to do with reducing the amount of time that people are leaving the house. This is based on the test and trace information of where people have been in the 48hrs before their symptoms show and they test positive, and its takeaways by going into the establishment that is quite high on the list. I dont think her abstinence is relevant, but i am minded to think that there are some entitled numpties out there who are going to their usual licenced restaurant for a takeaway, just to make sure they are able to get a pint! In my own case, i think i have had more alcohol in the last 10 month than the last 10 years and only needed a shop to provide it!

Yes people need to work, and i have my first 3 shifts of the year starting Friday, but furlough prevents me from carrying out work that can be done at home. I have just been out for the first time this year for my exercise and went into the local big Tesco for some essentials, but because people are being encouraged to stay at home, hardly saw a sole, naebody in the shop and therefore the objective of reducing the chance of transmission occurring in the home is greatly reduced because of the rules we are having to follow.

For me, its Home, School and Hospital where transmission is occurring most, but that needs to be confirmed by being told from official sources that this is whats happening!

As to the Salmond thing, seems to be guilty of misleading the Scottish Parliament without the smoking gun having been properly scrutinized!

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 pm

jimbo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:28 pm

So you spray disinfect or hot wash your wife when she gets back in the car? I'm not being awkward but you can see the point...where do you stop?

Exactly, just where do you stop? It's such a shame that our supermarket doesn't have a car wash that I could put her through. :Wow: :lol:

My wife wipes down her jacket (I'm not sure if that does much good, but better than nothing) with antiseptic wipes when we get home and also her shoes - trousers go straight in the wash.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:59 pm

Mike wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:19 pm
I sit in the car while the wife's in the supermarket, I'm fairly sure that I haven't been in any other building (apart from getting my winter flu jab at the doctor's surgery) since about April sometime.

You hear so many stories from people that have had COVID and they've no idea where they've got it from - the inside of a pizza box lid maybe, the bag that your nan breads were in, the bag that your deep fried chicken bits were in, the paper bag you got from McDonald's? The list is endless.
While i do not go to the lengths of yourself Mike, i think there is some merit in what you say, but apparently its been discounted from the start that cardboard and paper are capable of supporting the virus to any extent. I do wonder how much Christmas shopping you did online, and if you noticed how many packages were wrapped in plastic? We certainly had many! And seen as there was a marked increase in cases quite quickly after strict measures in the run up to Christmas, can we really categorically say that this did not contribute?

Certainly remember a story about a family in New Zealand who were tested positive after months of no cases, and that was attributed to food packaging that had been in their freezer for some time. And when times were better, there was lots of food processing plants who were dealing with outbreaks.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:00 pm

Another 1564 deaths reported today

According to the BBC more people have died in the second wave than in the first wave

Could see 100,000 plus by the end of January, a really grim number.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:20 pm

ArabJazzie wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:59 pm
apparently its been discounted from the start that cardboard and paper are capable of supporting the virus to any extent. I do wonder how much Christmas shopping you did online, and if you noticed how many packages were wrapped in plastic? We certainly had many! And seen as there was a marked increase in cases quite quickly after strict measures in the run up to Christmas, can we really categorically say that this did not contribute?

Would you happily accept an envelope (or parcel) from someone that was infected with the disease and not sanitise it?
How do you know that your postie, or Amazon delivery driver, isn't infected?

We didn't buy much online for Christmas, but everything we did buy was thoroughly cleaned when it darkened our doorstep! Do you mean that the delivery box was also covered in plastic, if so then none at all.

DanBeeden

Post by DanBeeden » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Shocking numbers. The worst death toll in Europe.

So many of which were entirely preventable had the Government acted early. Gov't knew about this new strain of the virus in mid-December, didn't lock down at the time, went ahead with allowing mixing at Christmas, and kept schools and colleges open until after the first day of the new term. And still, the restrictions are weaker than they were last March.

This is playing out exactly as scientists said it would. One of the members of Independent SAGE Prof. Gabriel Scally described it today as 'a phenomenal failure of policy and practice'.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Dont happily accept anything in times like this, especially with the apparent prevalence of asymptomatic transmission! But neither do i worry as much as it might seem about catching this virus, mainly because i cannot wash my hands as much as the next person because of skin problems, which in turn is my own fault anyway!

I didnt do the online shopping myself, but i was there for some of it coming through the door and it was a concern when quite a few were plastic wrapped small packages. Not addressed to me, so pick up and quickly drop somewhere. And i dont think enough people appreciate where your parcel has been in the time from when you hit the payment button. Depending on how automated a system is, there is still human contact at the depot, onto the delivery hubs, into the vans and especially delivered to your door. What if your package started its journey in Kent in the weeks running up to Christmas?

Not saying that has happened, but it should be a consideration.

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:35 pm

People spread the virus, it’s not in the air but it is airborne in particulate that emanates from the infected. These particles can land on surfaces.
Letters/parcels/deliveries are not exempt.
A strict quarantine or sanitising regime then.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:07 pm

XWP29 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:35 pm
People spread the virus, it’s not in the air but it is airborne in particulate that emanates from the infected. These particles can land on surfaces.
Exactly.

I spent years in the parcel industry, let's take a small item in a jiffy bag ordered online from a company, say a small car part from a UK distributor.............

They receive your order & payment > the part has already been put on a shelf by person 1 (God knows how many people have already touched it), person 2 takes it off the shelf and puts it into a plastic jiffy bag which was put on another shelf by person 3, person 2 then prints off the receipt & address label and seals the bag, he/she/it then puts it into a cage (or a large bag) with all the other orders that are ready for shipment.
Along comes the carrier's lorry, the cage gets loaded and it's taken to the carrier's distribution centre. The cage is then tipped out/opened and person 4 scans the jiffy and puts it onto the correct (hopefully!) conveyor belt, person 5 takes it off the belt and adds it to the pile for that part of the UK.
Person 6 comes along and puts the jiffy into another cage, cage then gets loaded onto another lorry and goes to a regional distribution centre, cage gets taken off and emptied and person 7 puts the jiffy onto the conveyor belt after person 8 has scanned it, person 9 takes it off the conveyor and puts it onto the local delivery driver's pile of parcels, person 10 is the driver and he delivers it to your door (hopefully).
This is why I clean every parcel and it's contents when it arrives, would you trust all 10 of these people to not be carrying the disease?
I certainly don't.

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:17 pm

Mike wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:07 pm
XWP29 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:35 pm
Exactly.

I spent years in the parcel industry, let's take a small item in a jiffy bag ordered online from a company, say a small car part from a UK distributor.............

They receive your order & payment > the part has already been put on a shelf by person 1 (God knows how many people have already touched it), person 2 takes it off the shelf and puts it into a plastic jiffy bag which was put on another shelf by person 3, person 2 then prints off the receipt & address label and seals the bag, he/she/it then puts it into a cage (or a large bag) with all the other orders that are ready for shipment.
Along comes the carrier's lorry, the cage gets loaded and it's taken to the carrier's distribution centre. The cage is then tipped out/opened and person 4 scans the jiffy and puts it onto the correct (hopefully!) conveyor belt, person 5 takes it off the belt and adds it to the pile for that part of the UK.
Person 6 comes along and puts the jiffy into another cage, cage then gets loaded onto another lorry and goes to a regional distribution centre, cage gets taken off and emptied and person 7 puts the jiffy onto the conveyor belt after person 8 has scanned it, person 9 takes it off the conveyor and puts it onto the local delivery driver's pile of parcels, person 10 is the driver and he delivers it to your door (hopefully).
This is why I clean every parcel and it's contents when it arrives, would you trust all 10 of these people to not be carrying the disease?
I certainly don't.
Very wise Mike. My better half has been on the case since March.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:56 pm

Right, one for discussion!

Wife needs her Fiesta for work next week but has went and blown the rear shocks. I am a diy mechanic and have already done the exact same job with the same parts on my daughters Mazda 2. Should i......

A, Leave the job and hand over the keys to my beloved V6?

B, Get on with the job on the street as i used to and hope the 6 bolts comply?

C, Take it up to my parents driveway in case it goes the way of the Mazda! That was a bad day!

D, Travel to my workshop which i think is less than 5 miles away where i would have to move my on axel stands pride n joy first?

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:56 pm

Option A is clearly the quickest immediate solution but may not be your personal preference - "...beloved..." says it all!

Of the other three well which is the safest all round and best for working to get it done? Even if your workhop is more than 5 miles I would suggest it is an essential journey given the nature of the problem. After all you would be allowed to go to a garage for repairs.

Whatever you decide I hope it works out for all concerned.

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:55 pm

And now another deadly strain. Mutation from our new one the African strain to a new mutation in Brazil. Now in Japan.also. looking at it i doubt our vaccine is going to stop this.

AyrForce1

Post by AyrForce1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:30 pm

The Brazilian mutation should only affect a small strip down south. :halo:

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:49 am

ArabJazzie wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:56 pm

Wife needs her Fiesta for work next week but has went and blown the rear shocks. I am a diy mechanic and have already done the exact same job with the same parts on my daughters Mazda 2. Should i......

C, Take it up to my parents driveway in case it goes the way of the Mazda! That was a bad day!

D, Travel to my workshop which i think is less than 5 miles away where i would have to move my on axel stands pride n joy first?
Or option
E: take her to work in your car and pick her up
F: take the car to a local garage/repair shop and let them do the job - my preferred option

Another BBC report highlighting something that is obvious but of concern is the chance of dying in a packed ICU is 20% higher than in an ICU at normal capacity, according to recent research in London. Also only the very ill can be admitted meaning that sick people will miss out on vital early treatments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55652771

The nightingale hospitals ;
While extra beds and equipment can, and have, been provided through the Nightingale hospitals and the private sector, finding enough qualified staff has been an issue.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:08 am

Another report from Wengen in Switzerland reckons that track and trace proves one British Ski tourist in December was responsible for 27 infections of the new British strain of the virus.

This is where I think the Government have been very slow in not insisting that travel in and out of this country can only be done with two negative tests on the day of travel. It seems crazy that a holiday maker can get on a plane with Covid and infect some fellow passengers and then spend time in a Swiss hotel!

To be honest up until November I thought Boris had done a reasonable job all things considered. But recently things have gone badly wrong. They reacted to the new strain with Tier lockdowns , fair enough that might have worked but when it didn't I think they were slow to look at international travel and should of cancelled Christmas - something no government wants to be remembered for.

I suppose half the problem is the British people - why go on a winter holiday in the middle of a pandemic

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:46 am

slogen51 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:49 am
ArabJazzie wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:56 pm

Or option
E: take her to work in your car and pick her up
F: take the car to a local garage/repair shop and let them do the job - my preferred option

Another BBC report highlighting something that is obvious but of concern is the chance of dying in a packed ICU is 20% higher than in an ICU at normal capacity, according to recent research in London. Also only the very ill can be admitted meaning that sick people will miss out on vital early treatments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55652771

The nightingale hospitals ;
While extra beds and equipment can, and have, been provided through the Nightingale hospitals and the private sector, finding enough qualified staff has been an issue.
Just a thought and probably already been discussed, shouldn't the Nightingale hospitals be filled with recovering not critically ill Covid patients to get them off the main wards, while medical staff would be needed they would need to be specialists, maybe get the Defence Medical Services involved to staff them?

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:07 am

I read it heard somewhere that the nightingale hospitals are being used for non Covid recoveries?

Today's news saying that the Government ' are thinking' about banning flights from Brazil - what is there to think about? JFDI !!

Super Drug in Guildford high street doing vaccinations - dishing out the Oxford vaccine ,1000 doses per week.

England are playing cricket in Sri Lanka - really!

Return to “General Chat”