Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

COVID-19 UK

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Thunder

Re: COVID-19 UK

Post by Thunder » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:35 am

Thing is CV-19 doesn’t recognise religion, so if a lockdown of some sort over the Christmas helps get rid of this dreadful virus then so be it. Let’s face it most of the country moan every year that they dread Christmas either because of the cost or having to visit/entertain relatives that they don’t see any other time of the year or don’t like.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:56 am

Got to love the BBC

Just watched Have I got news for you (my favourite program after celebrity Antiques road trip and QoS). Joan Bakewell sitting there with four other people none of whom are wearing masks, taking the pee out of Boris for having been close to a MP who later tested positive and therefore being told to isolate.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:20 am

You should have noticed that there were heavy duty plastic screens between each of the participants, the same as being employed on University Challenge.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:48 pm

Was there?

Victoria Coren distracted me

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:16 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:48 pm
Was there?

Mike with your declarations of T.V. favourites, to be frank, and of course your choice, but I’m a bit concerned :P
HIGNFY used to be great, but it is well past its sell by date, allegedly :whistle:
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:11 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:48 pm
Was there?

You must be a fan of Only Connect then as you see plenty of VCM hosting that; another programme using screens between participants.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:29 pm

That is where I first came across VCM. Her father I believe was Alan Coren and he would of been a good panelist on news for you.

I still like Hislop and Merton and every week brings with it a new political gaff and Victoria C-H is a major plus in my eyes.

Better post something on topic

According to ONS :-
Monthly gross domestic product (GDP) grew by 1.1% in September 2020 but was 8.2% lower than it was in February 2020, before lockdown began.

This is the fifth consecutive monthly increase following a record fall of 19.5% in April 2020, although the rate of growth has slowed.

I see that the Government are thinking about a public sector pay freeze which seems fair to me as the private sector has taken a hammering but the Unions won't like it. Prepare for a summer of discontent.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:39 pm

Strange times indeed

Scotland has closed its border to the rest of the UK, making it illegal for anyone from England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland to travel into the country without a reasonable excuse.

Scots also aren't allowed to travel to other parts of the UK under the news rules, which could see Brits illegally coming in and out of Scotland hit with a £60 fine.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk ... 321106.amp

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:39 pm
Strange times indeed

Scotland has closed its border to the rest of the UK, making it illegal for anyone from England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland to travel into the country without a reasonable excuse.

Scots also aren't allowed to travel to other parts of the UK under the news rules, which could see Brits illegally coming in and out of Scotland hit with a £60 fine.

Should have done it months ago!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Better hurry up getting Hadrian’s Wall repointed then.
But what does it mean for Corby where us English are an ethnic minority?

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:37 pm

None of Hadrian's Wall forms any part of the border between England and Scotland.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Perhaps it can be the start of a buffer zone or no man's land !!

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:36 am

slogen51 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:39 pm
Strange times indeed

Another case of the print media coveniently not letting the facts get in the way of a good story:

The border is not 'closed' - how exactly would they manage that? - it is still open to traffic, in particular freight/goods transport. Non-essential traffic/journeys are simply being discouraged.

Scots are allowed to travel to other parts of the UK - if they are in Tiers 1 or 2 of restrictions. The rules on travel get progressively tighter in Tier 3 and are highly restrictive in Tier 4, effectively banning non-essential travel in to and out of the designated areas. The severity of the Tier 4 travel restrictions has now created a situation in which it is illegal for people from the Tier 4 regions to travel to Glasgow Airport to catch a flight even though flights from the airport are still operating!

I could travel from Aberdeen (Tier 2) down through Dundee (Tier 3) and along the M74 skiriting Glagow (Tier 4) and cross the border perfectly legally; but the general advice is not to travel, whatever Tier you are in, unless your journey is absolutely essential. As for the threat of a £60 fine, within an hour of the Tier 4 travel resrtictions being introduced, Police Scotland made it clear that they would issue penalty fines 'only as a last resort'; and their position has not been challenged by the Scottish government.

Exactly what the position is re. travel to Scotland from/via England depends on whether the journey is classed as essential or not. With the Chrstmas holidays and all the associated travel soon to start, and with the exception of the Tier 4 regions (assuming travel in to the latter is still proscribed), it is extremely doubtful that steps will be taken to prevent travellers from crossing the border or fining them if they do, especailly given this morning's reports of an agreement between the four governments to allow travel in order that Christmas can be 'saved' - but that all assumes there is significant progress in getting lowering the number/rate of infections in the Tiers 3 and 4 regions.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:58 am

big john wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:02 am
Its mis-reading of the data by the Daily Fail. that's from an official statement from Isabel Oliver, Director of the National Infection Service at Public Health England.
https://twitter.com/PHE_uk/status/13294 ... 72/photo/1
The daily mail for some reason wishes to put the uk in total lockdown for Christmas. Are they an anti christian organisation?
Actually for once they are actually presenting the facts, it is worrying that the government moved to discredit a serious piece of investigative reporting.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... gures.html

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:03 pm

ArabJazzie wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:33 pm
jimbo wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:43 pm
Maybe you need to read again what I wrote...rather than jump to incorrect conclusions, just because your default is “we’re in this because people don’t follow the rules”

Maybe explain how lockdowns work to me...because to me all the do is delay the inevitable. This virus is endemic in nature, will mutate so is something we need to live with...just ask a Mink

And careful with using comparisons with some some animals, because if you use the term Mink up here, its quite a derogatory way of describing someone from a less fortunate background. Thankfully i knew about the Danish cull! :Oops:
Well you win the internet with that quote...didn't take you for part of the Woke and Snowflake generation...

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:30 pm

If nobody else at least JVT will now be a happy bunny as the new ground of his beloved Boston United is finally opening this weekend. Hope he is not still in isolation :lol:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:46 pm

jimbo wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:03 pm
ArabJazzie wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:33 pm
jimbo wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:43 pm
Maybe you need to read again what I wrote...rather than jump to incorrect conclusions, just because your default is “we’re in this because people don’t follow the rules”

Maybe explain how lockdowns work to me...because to me all the do is delay the inevitable. This virus is endemic in nature, will mutate so is something we need to live with...just ask a Mink

And careful with using comparisons with some some animals, because if you use the term Mink up here, its quite a derogatory way of describing someone from a less fortunate background. Thankfully i knew about the Danish cull! :Oops:
Well you win the internet with that quote...didn't take you for part of the Woke and Snowflake generation...
Whats Woke bud?

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:02 am

ArabJazzie wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:46 pm
Whats Woke bud?
'Woke' is the gospel of political correctness preached by Snowflakes up and down the land. 'You're not Woke!' i.e. you're not awake to the trials and trubulations suffered by women, all of the LGBTQ?+ movement, the BAME community, disabled people, etc. in their never-ending quest for fairness, equality and respect. To be 'anti-Woke' can, as the actor Lawrence Fox (the sidekick of Lewis in, er, Lewis) found out earlier this year on Question Time, lead to prodigious amounts of doo-doo hitting the fan and all-out character assassination. He's definitely lost work as a result, his girlfriend left him, and he has effectively been shunned by many of the PC Brigade in the acting industry.

Probably hasn't reached Dundee yet; certainly hasn't reached Aberdeen! :lol:

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:12 am

Jeez!!. What a crazy world this now is, when you can't even give an honest opinion without the world crashing down on your head if it differs to anyone else!!!!. Glad I am now considered old, and lived through the good times!!!!!. :S :S

EF-111

Post by EF-111 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:08 am

I'm getting really confused with all of this now... It was vital for this country (England) to be locked down for 4 weeks as the virus is so deadly and easily spread, but as soon as the lockdown ends it will be possible for up to 4000 people to attend an outdoor sporting event, even though that was not possible prior to the latest restrictions coming into force?

Maybe I'm just getting old or cynical, or both :S

Regards, Steve

Return to “General Chat”