Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

COVID-19 UK

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
big john

Re: COVID-19 UK

Post by big john » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am

rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:45 am

jimbo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:05 am
Covid will not be gone in 6-12 months, its never going away.

There are no controlled environments, you're vulnerable wherever you are, but 99% of people will survive this...however millions will not have jobs or any future prospects, the economy is wrecked.
Which is why is said back to school and work

But I think people are taking a fatalistic view and using that as an excuse to give up and crowd at beaches etc. This all became a big issue only 3 months ago in this country , no time at all. I think we act sensibly into next winter then a vaccine may come to the rescue. If there is no vaccine then I agree we might as well all go back to normal and and stay alert but until we reach that crossroads we should continue to social distance.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:37 pm

big john wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am
And the next lockdown, Pig Flu. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53218 ... m2=twitter
Got to love another blown out of proportion and scaremongering BBC article. :whistle: :roll:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:39 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:00 am
I think it's called taking one for the team. Lots of people make daily sacrifices to look after vulnerable people or elderly parents for example.

If we are all careful to avoid COVD-19 for the next 6-12 months, especially the younger generation, then the population as whole will be safer. Staying alert and avoiding crowds, and yes forgoing the annual holiday for one year is a small sacrifice in the whole time line of a life.

I am not saying stay in but only go out in controlled environments such as school , work, safe shopping etc. Of course outdoors is better than indoors but there is no need to go to crowded beaches - they will still be there next year.
Agreed, a lot of people, especially my age (but also all ages), ignoring the rules and just doing what they want to do.

Seeing grown men being interviewed on TV saying "Well I haven't got it so it's fine, and none of my mates have got it and nobody I know does, so what's the matter?" :roll:

Brain dead!! :grr:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:43 pm

Agreed

I read a book about life in England during the war ( the first casualty ? Something like that ) and it highlighted that not everyone is a hero during an emergency even in the 1940s

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:53 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:37 pm
big john wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am
And the next lockdown, Pig Flu. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53218 ... m2=twitter
Got to love another blown out of proportion and scaremongering BBC article. :whistle: :roll:
The swines!

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:54 pm

Badum-tsss :lol:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:57 pm

But on a serious note, it's poor from the BBC, because I'm sure there's many viruses similar to this one they've "found" in a pig, in many other animals? This is just a special occasion, happens more often than not
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:02 pm

James: you are older than your years ;)

But that's only because you are lucky enough to have proper parents :D

Most don't, which is why they talk and act as they do :grr:

See ya soon(ish) mate :thumbs:

Paddy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Haha! Thanks Paddy ;) Fingers crossed it'll be soon-ish, just need most people to engage some common sense :roll:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:07 pm

I have mixed feelings towards all those idiots we see ignoring social distancing as on the one hand yes, they are putting other people at risk, like healthcare staff etc, but on the other, until we get a vaccine, the scientifically recognised best way of killing and slowing the spread of the virus is actually just having more people moving around with natural immunity. In other words those that have had and recovered from COVID. They act as a natural buffer who stop the virus from spreading. Think of a scenario of putting someone with COVID into the Royal Albert Hall full of people who have not had it. They will infect hundreds who I turn will infect thousands etc (the high R ratio). Now think the same scenario but with the Albert Hall full of people that have recovered from COVID, and now have anti-bodies the infection rate will be virtually none. So as I see it, decent society actually needs good old COVID volunteers, people to actively catch the virus. And of course, some of those will succumb to the virus, but looking at those interviews, and seeing those idiots on the beaches, it might as well be them, as let’s put it kindly, If they check out, society is not exactly losing the Next Scientist who is going to cure cancer, more likely it’s just Wetherspoons who will have one less customer. In fact putting it that way, it’s actually a proper win win situation for the rest of us.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:16 pm

They've not proved yet whether you're immune from if it you've caught it. And there's people still suffering from it 3 months on despite being clear from it.

So "herd immunity" is not the best idea. "Yeah, just chuck people together, and if they die, well never mind, it happens." Nice one. I see the point but doesn't make sense.

New Zealand managed to eradicate it (till 2 stupid Brits ruined it for them, surprise surprise) it's possible. Some countries didn't get hit too bad by it. Its all down to how serious each country treated it, and how soon they acted (Unlike UK).
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Leuchars Fan

Post by Leuchars Fan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:16 pm
They've not proved yet whether you're immune from if it you've caught it. And there's people still suffering from it 3 months on despite being clear from it.

So "herd immunity" is not the best idea. "Yeah, just chuck people together, and if they die, well never mind, it happens." Nice one. I see the point but doesn't make sense.

New Zealand managed to eradicate it (till 2 stupid Brits ruined it for them, surprise surprise) it's possible. Some countries didn't get hit too bad by it. Its all down to how serious each country treated it, and how soon they acted (Unlike UK).
You come across as one these introspective types who would be very happy if the virus originated in the UK rather than China. There is no telling why this virus has inflicted a heavier toll of fatalities here than anywhere else. There are two countries which are an interesting study, they each have a high death rate, one hardly locked down at all, Sweden, the other had the has the highest death toll in Europe, Belgium. Within the UK, England has far and away the highest toll of infections and deaths, but we're told they are slowly coming down. Within England, Leicester has to go back into quarantine. The impact of the virus has little to do with Government policy, but likely has more to do with the habits and behaviour of people and the density of populations. Beyond that, there is nothing else really to turn to for an explanation. But I would venture, it isn't anyone's deliberate fault, its a nebulous out of control virus, not a controlled weapon.

LF

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am

James Cutting wrote:

New Zealand managed to eradicate it (till 2 stupid Brits ruined it for them, surprise surprise)
James

The only reason they caused re infection was the NZ authorities let them out of quarantine early

see here
Health officials in New Zealand have made an embarrassing U-turn in the case of two women recently arrived from Britain who were infected with Covid-19 and allowed to leave quarantine without being tested – admitting the pair met up with friends when they should not have done.

The initial blunder by officials who failed to test the women for the virus before they were released early from quarantine on compassionate grounds was labelled an “unacceptable failure” by the prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, on Wednesday.

full story
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ine-fiasco

rgds phil

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:42 am

Leuchars Fan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 pm
James Cutting wrote:

You come across as one these introspective types who would be very happy if the virus originated in the UK rather than China. There is no telling why this virus has inflicted a heavier toll of fatalities here than anywhere else. There are two countries which are an interesting study, they each have a high death rate, one hardly locked down at all, Sweden, the other had the has the highest death toll in Europe, Belgium. Within the UK, England has far and away the highest toll of infections and deaths, but we're told they are slowly coming down. Within England, Leicester has to go back into quarantine. The impact of the virus has little to do with Government policy, but likely has more to do with the habits and behaviour of people and the density of populations. Beyond that, there is nothing else really to turn to for an explanation. But I would venture, it isn't anyone's deliberate fault, its a nebulous out of control virus, not a controlled weapon.

LF
Yeah I understand your point and see it better when put like that.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:42 am

pg1610 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am
James Cutting wrote:

New Zealand managed to eradicate it (till 2 stupid Brits ruined it for them, surprise surprise)
James

The only reason they caused re infection was the NZ authorities let them out of quarantine early

see here
Health officials in New Zealand have made an embarrassing U-turn in the case of two women recently arrived from Britain who were infected with Covid-19 and allowed to leave quarantine without being tested – admitting the pair met up with friends when they should not have done.

The initial blunder by officials who failed to test the women for the virus before they were released early from quarantine on compassionate grounds was labelled an “unacceptable failure” by the prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, on Wednesday.

full story

rgds phil
Thanks Phil, I hadn't seen the full story so my fault for not checking before commenting on it. Thank you
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:39 am

Take half an hour to listen to Radio 4s More or Less programme (broadcast this morning).
The series has been looking at Covid stats for the last 14 weeks and the one today is using hindsight to explain decisions, looking at what has and hasn't worked and compares national reporting.
it's a very balanced programme and well worth your time.

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:38 am

James Cutting wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:42 am
pg1610 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am
James Cutting wrote:

James

see here

full story

rgds phil
Thanks Phil, I hadn't seen the full story so my fault for not checking before commenting on it. Thank you
Not problem

Return to “General Chat”