Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

SAR facility to close

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Boulmer here
David Thompson

SAR facility to close

Post by David Thompson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:52 am

Due to the SAR contract going to Bristows as posted by pug in the Leconfield thread the SAR detachment at Boulmer will disband and not be replaced . A sumary of these SAR base changes are ;

Culdrose - SAR operation moves to Newquay
Wattisham - moves to Manston
Valley - moves to Caernarfon
Boulmer - SAR operation ending
Portland - closing
Lee-on-the-Solent - not moving
Chivenor - moves to St Athan
Leconfield - moves to Humberside
Lossiemouth - moves to Inverness
Prestwick - not moving

The seas off the north east coast are still very busy with shipping and I would imagine there will be some protests about losing both Boulmer and Leconfield who ably cover the area between them ?
Youth is wasted on the young !

catkins

Re: SAR facility to close

Post by catkins » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Not just north east coast cover being put at risk but also the Lake District, which can see coverage from Prestwick and Valley on occasion as well as Air Ambulance but relied on Boulmer's helicopter for rescue as well as training with regional Mountain Rescue teams! Looks like Prestwick could have a huge coastal and mountainous area to cover?
If I'm out I'm Just Swanning Around taking photos!
So give a 'Like' to my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

roadstar1845

Post by roadstar1845 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:00 pm

Point taken about Boulmer, 31 years ago involved in a climbing accident near Windermere, the Boulmer Sea King got the casualty to workington intensive care. calculated as being two minutes quicker than by road, but it saved his life in the golden hour.

hornet13

Post by hornet13 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Our government are brilliant !!!! Utter disgrace :grr:

DJS

Post by DJS » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm

The top cover to coordinate any rescue being provided by ? The distance from Inverness/Sumburgh out onto the North Sea to the oil sector? What is the capability of the 189s & 92s to provide that cover. Not in any way making light of recent incidents in the North Sea but this is a crucial area to be providing SAR coverage. There are well documented issues with the EC225s at the moment which hopefully will be resolved but not in the immediate future by the looks of things. They provide a degree of cover with 2 airframes based out on the rigs but many questions & not too many answers.

hornet13

Post by hornet13 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:19 pm

The reliability of bristows aircraft ain't that good

choplasteve

Post by choplasteve » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:08 am

You would have thought they would have put one at either Edinburgh, Newcastle or DTV as cover for the North East Sector. same old government posting.php?mode=edit&f=81&p=480339#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:29 am

DJS wrote:The top cover to coordinate any rescue being provided by ? The distance from Inverness/Sumburgh out onto the North Sea to the oil sector? What is the capability of the 189s & 92s to provide that cover. Not in any way making light of recent incidents in the North Sea but this is a crucial area to be providing SAR coverage. There are well documented issues with the EC225s at the moment which hopefully will be resolved but not in the immediate future by the looks of things. They provide a degree of cover with 2 airframes based out on the rigs but many questions & not too many answers.
The North Sea oil sector is covered by a pair of Bond Super Pumas under the Jigsaw project. Sure it was them that were major players in the last EC.225 ditching.
hornet13 wrote:The reliability of bristows aircraft ain't that good
Where did you get that info from? The whole North Sea sector is having problems with one type and the aircraft filling the gap along with others are S-92s and AW.139s.

BTW, its Boulmer that responds to incidents on the River Tay so this affects who backs us up, but there are faster aircraft taking over that are not that far away!
Arabest,
Geoff.

hornet13

Post by hornet13 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Geoff My partner is a heli admin in the North Sea , they have had problems with aircraft going sick , especially the super pumas most days

jock

Post by jock » Fri May 03, 2013 11:17 pm

For the east coast of Scotland the perfect place for SAR helo i.m.o. would be Leuchars not to far from north or south be it RAF or army..

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:03 am

When are the Sea Kings due to leave RAF Boulmer?

David Thompson

Post by David Thompson » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Unknown74 wrote:When are the Sea Kings due to leave RAF Boulmer?
At the end of September I believe ?

stevep22

Post by stevep22 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:52 pm

I'm up in that neck of the woods for a few days mid August and again second week in September so it would be nice to get a few photos before it closes down. What will happen to the Phantom on the gate?

Steve

David Thompson

Post by David Thompson » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:08 pm

stevep22 wrote:What will happen to the Phantom on the gate?
I would imagine that the Phantom will stay as Boulmer will remain operational as a radar station ?
The Phantom's paintwork is looking a bit faded now but it is easily seen from the road side and car parking is not a problem for a few minutes while you take photos .

stevep22

Post by stevep22 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Thanks for that David. I hope to call by on at least one occasion and hopefully whilst there get a few snaps of the Sea Kings.

Return to “RAF Boulmer”