Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Kinloss Nimrod Flightlines

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Kinloss here
Unknown74

Kinloss Nimrod Flightlines

Post by Unknown74 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:19 pm

When in the good old days when we used to all stand next to the Forres Road watching all the movements at Kinloss and you could see the Nimrods all lined up on the various aprons around the Control Tower my question is were the different lines all different Squadrons and if so which Squadron had which Flightline on the Aprons?

reheat module

Re: Kinloss Nimrod Flightlines

Post by reheat module » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:32 pm

As I recall (being stationed at Kinloss from 77-82), 120, 201 and 206 Sqns shared the common line aprons.
Pans 1-9 were on the western side of ATC (with pan 8 being alloted to SAR)
Pans 10 and 11 were SW of the tower, and pans 12-16 (where used) were east of ATC.
The Compass-swing pan entry ran alongside ATC.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Unknown74 wrote:When in the good old days when we used to all stand next to the Forres Road watching all the movements at Kinloss and you could see the Nimrods all lined up on the various aprons around the Control Tower my question is were the different lines all different Squadrons and if so which Squadron had which Flightline on the Aprons?
The Forres Road ? Don't you mean the Findhorn Road ?
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:45 pm

In the 'Good old days' to which UK74 'may' be referring, you could indeed stand on the Forres to Elgin road and see the airfield.
You are correct however, in saying the Findhorn road offered a better viewpoint.
Even better from 'Kelly's beer garden' or that ...strange Findhorn Foundation place... - that was weird, - I only went in 12 times
:lol:
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:07 pm

reheat module wrote:In the 'Good old days' to which UK74 'may' be referring, you could indeed stand on the Forres to Elgin road and see the airfield.
You are correct however, in saying the Findhorn road offered a better viewpoint.
Even better from 'Kelly's beer garden' or that ...strange Findhorn Foundation place... - that was weird, - I only went in 12 times
:lol:
I think what he means is that if you're going from Findhorn to Kinloss then that is known as the "Forres Road" - it depends which way way way you're going of course, but the road with the traffic lights on it at the end of the runway is the Findhorn Road.

You can see the base from the Forres to Elgin Road (A96) but it's a long, long way away ! The Findhorn Foundation is a very strange place to say the least. :lol: :Wow:

ythanpythan

Post by ythanpythan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:26 am

You also got a nice view from Califer hill but it's miles away.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:33 am

Sorry I seem to have got everyone confused. I am referring to the road which runs along the Western End of Kinloss. Wasn't that often up at Kinloss unfortunately.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:25 pm

The aprons on the South side of the Airfield (either side of ATC) were used by 120, 201 and 206 Sqns and the aircraft were all pooled together into the Kinloss Maritime Wing. The apron on the North side which later became VASS with the large White Canvass hangar was used by 236OCU later renumbered 42(R)Sqn. However since the late 90's and the dwindling numbers of Nimrods, all a/c were pooled together and operated solely from the South side until they finally vanished for good.

toom317

Post by toom317 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:42 pm

[quote="Mike R]
The Forres Road ? Don't you mean the Findhorn Road ?[/quote]

Depends on whether your going to Findhorn or Forres. :D
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:46 pm

toom317 wrote:[quote="Mike R]
The Forres Road ? Don't you mean the Findhorn Road ?
Depends on whether your going to Findhorn or Forres. :D[/quote][/quote]

It's actually called the B9011 !

Return to “RAF Kinloss”