Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Will be passing Tuesday 11 September

Please post movements and activities to do with Warton Aerodrome here
GVLCN

Will be passing Tuesday 11 September

Post by GVLCN » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:12 pm

Hi all not been since a base visit along time ago, anyone please be able to advise if anything worth seeing? There till Thursday

jetnoise

Re: Will be passing Tuesday 11 September

Post by jetnoise » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:07 am

Hi GVLCN
I live locally and have to report not much happens these days (I've not been down for a while).
There is only 1 production Typhoon left to be delivered - ZK437/BS153. The last time this was reported was on 13 Aug by "Chief Reporter" TombsRIP (see August Movements thread).
I would imagine that this is now off-test and just awaiting for the MoD to accept it, sign the paperwork and agree a delivery day. (May be there will a small ceremony to mark the event)
Of the retained fleet you might be lucky and get a sortie from ZK303 (BT017) possibly with another jet (they often do two-ships), but that depends on what the flight test programme calls for.
Similarly if "lady luck" is smiling, you could get an interesting visitor (see August and September movements threads or examples).
Other than that there is really only the civil corporate shuttles (Eastern AW J31 or the CAT Embraers - G-OWTN and G-OFLX) - may be also the regular cargo charter (usually G-JMCM).

Warton is pretty much "Sleepy Hollow" these days.
Jet noise
(The sound of freedom)
Nostalgia isn't what is used to be
Lots more pics on my flickr page - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nog59/

Campbell89

Post by Campbell89 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 am

Am I right in thinking the Qatar jets will begin to be manufactured once the final RAF one has been delivered? Any ideas whether it’s likely to be the hawks or Typhoons first?

TombsRIP

Post by TombsRIP » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:42 am

Campbell89 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 am
Am I right in thinking the Qatar jets will begin to be manufactured once the final RAF one has been delivered? Any ideas whether it’s likely to be the hawks or Typhoons first?
I would estimate it will be at least a year before the first of the 9 hawks for Qatar will start appearing outside for ground runs etc. I hope I 'm proved wrong. I think they were due for delivery in 2022 but this may well have moved forward so could be sooner. There are no Qatari typhoons in final assy yet at Warton, only major units still scattered around Europe with the partner companies incl front fuselages at Samlesbury. Final assy is (was) due to start in early 2021.
So a while yet...but I would safely say the hawks will be flying before any of the 24 typhoons for Qatar.
Cheers

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 pm

Thanks for info guys, will give it a miss then!

Return to “Warton Aerodrome”