Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Testing To The Limits Volume One/two

Please post movements and activities to do with Warton Aerodrome here
johnhowe

Testing To The Limits Volume One/two

Post by johnhowe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Testing to the Limits British Test Pilots since 1910. Author Ken Ellis.

This first volume was Published in 2015 with Foreword By Chris Yeo. The 2nd Volume Published in 2016
Foreword by John Farley.

These two books are what Denis Morley would describe as a Tour de Force.

As the titles suggest every Test Pilot since 1910 is included in these volumes which includes
all the Test Pilots who flew with the different Aircraft Manufacturers before they were amalgamated
into The British Aircraft Corporation and other companies.

For those of us interested in Warton and Samlesbury there are histories of every Test Pilot right up to the present day.

Testing to the Limit One Published by Crecy http://www.crecy.co.uk ISBN 9780859791847

Testing to the Limit Two Published By Crecy http://www.crecy.co.uk ISBN 9780859791854

Price UK £24.95p US $39.95.

TombsRIP

Re: Testing To The Limits Volume One/two

Post by TombsRIP » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Do you get a commission on each sale John? :)

PS I think I've been tested to the limits a few times outside the fence along Stoney Lane.

Tarnish9

Post by Tarnish9 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:58 pm

You two make me LOL ......:)

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 am

TombsRIP wrote:Do you get a commission on each sale John? :)

PS I think I've been tested to the limits a few times outside the fence along Stoney Lane.
Hi Martin, Nothing from the Author, but I do get voucher's from the bookseller which has enabled
me to buy the complete series of Boy Book's I haven't bought them in alphabetical order rather
as they were published.

Lightning Boys One 2011 L/Boys 2. 2013
Buccaneer Boys 2013
Hunter Boys 2014
Jaguar Boys 2014
Harrier Boys One 2015 H/Boys 2. 2016
Phantom Boys 2015
Meteor Boys 2016
Javelin Boys 2017
Victor Boys 2012
Valiant Boys 2014
Vulcan Boys 2014
VForce All.3 V A/C 2017.

All titles can be bought from Grub Street or on line prices vary.

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:16 am

Initially I bought The Lightning Boys then the Buccaneer Boys read them cover to cover. I have gone back to The RAF obtaining its first jet the Meteor then onto the Hunter/Javelin. I am absolutely amazed at the loss of aircraft and pilots in the 1950s but to learn more buy the books.

TombsRIP

Post by TombsRIP » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:35 am

johnhowe wrote:Initially I bought The Lightning Boys then the Buccaneer Boys read them cover to cover. I have gone back to The RAF obtaining its first jet the Meteor then onto the Hunter/Javelin. I am absolutely amazed at the loss of aircraft and pilots in the 1950s but to learn more buy the books.
I guess that's why the Meteor was called the Meatbox...

Grim stuff...

MG

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:09 pm

TombsRIP wrote:
johnhowe wrote:Initially I bought The Lightning Boys then the Buccaneer Boys read them cover to cover. I have gone back to The RAF obtaining its first jet the Meteor then onto the Hunter/Javelin. I am absolutely amazed at the loss of aircraft and pilots in the 1950s but to learn more buy the books.
I guess that's why the Meteor was called the Meatbox...

Grim stuff...

MG
There was much discussion between Glosters and the Ministry of Aircraft Production (MAP) about what to call
the production aeroplane. The Ministry preferred Thunderbolt until someone pointed out that the Republic P-47
had got there first, which raises the intriguing possibility, Since the Meteor became universally known to its pilots
and ground crew as the Meatbox, had the earlier name been adopted would it have been known as the Thunderbox1?

Return to “Warton Aerodrome”