Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Penrith

Forum rules
Guildelines for the use of this section have been released, please see them here - http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/v ... 54#p690454

This notice will be left in place for a short time so that everyone is aware
Ian in Leeds

Penrith

Post by Ian in Leeds » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi

I am staying in Penrith next week for 4 days is thereuch L/L activity or do I need to go yo the recognised spots like Kirkstone Pass & Dunmail Raise etc and when the Mildenhall Ospreys and Hercules conduct evening flights do you know if they transit anywhere near Penrith?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Richelli

Re: Penrith

Post by Richelli » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:21 pm

I would just go to dunmail raise to be honest. Kirkstone is good when you get passes but most go dunmail raise, just park at the AA box laybye or on the grass either side of the dual carriage way section. East side is easiest to climb either on the ridge above the AA box or hop across the stream and head up two the second or third ridge. If F15s come though you want to be as high as possible so at least the top section but if it's windy obviously the higher the worse it is. Only problem with east side is if it's clear in the afternoon you'll have the sun in you face so if the forecast is clear just go up west but take your time. Follow the wire fence up the west side it helps to have something to hang onto climbing up. By the time anything gets to penrith it will have climbed to a good few thousand ft so you'll not get much action from there. It's been very hit and miss so good luck.

Ian in Leeds

Post by Ian in Leeds » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:12 pm

Hi Richelli

Thats great info and thanks for getting back to me

Cheers

Ian

STN RAMP RAT

Post by STN RAMP RAT » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:46 pm

as I am sure you are aware a number of aircraft from 352 SOG have deployed to the sandpit unexpectedly on New Years Day so there may well be less activity given the reduced number of aircraft in the UK.

rh226

Post by rh226 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:00 pm

STN RAMP RAT wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:46 pm
as I am sure you are aware a number of aircraft from 352 SOG have deployed to the sandpit unexpectedly on New Years Day so there may well be less activity given the reduced number of aircraft in the UK.
In fact, I make it just 1x MC-130J and 5x CV-22B left - plus the tankers, of course.
Cheers, Bob

Return to “Northern England”