Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Use of members photos.

Please read the rules before posting on the forum.
airfixpilot
Location: Sth killingholme, Nth Lincolnshire. Home of the OIL Refinerys: LOL

Use of members photos.

Post by airfixpilot » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:54 pm

May I bring to the attention of members, the use of photos in the All sections of the forum. Photos are owned by the photographer who had taken them. It is illegal to just download any picture you see, WITHOUT permission. Please ask permission of the photographer if you can use the photo, as it is copyright to the member who had taken the photo.

You are not allowed to forward, or sell for gain any photos given to you by members, and for your use ONLY.

The best way is to private message the photographer in question, and ask, then wait for reply.

I am not sure if this has been covered in the forum rules.
WATCHING & LISTENING IN LINCOLNSHIRE
Keep Calm & Carry On, Stay Positive & Chill.

Chill to Military Airband in the background with a coffee & Biscuits.
Listening into airband on the east coast of Lincolnshire.

David

EGVP

Re: Use of members photos.

Post by EGVP » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:35 pm

It's covered in law, I'm not sure it needs to be in the rules of the forum.

oswinclose

Post by oswinclose » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:10 pm

"It's covered in law, I'm not sure it needs to be in the rules of the forum" is not really enough. Please quote the source of your information if you know something to be true. Unless you "assert your copyright" it cannot exist. It may not be an issue but it would help contributors of photographic material if the forum made it clear that all submissions should be treated as if they were asserting this right. We should treat anyone who is prepared to spend a massive amount of money on equipment and become competent at this art form with a bit of respect.

EGVP

Post by EGVP » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:12 pm

You dont need to assert anything. Take a look here: https://www.gov.uk/copyright/overview

oswinclose

Post by oswinclose » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Thanks EGCC, accept your evidence. I found another item on the same subject which requires the assertion. However as I cannot find that article I bow to your point.

John Jackson

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:59 am

An interesting thread.
I had always formed the opinion that when uploading to a site such as Photobucket, Flickr, etc., that on by opening an account somewhere in the agreement/small print was a clause forfeiting ownership of in this case the images.
Two of mine have been moved to another account on one site and another used elsewhere.
I'm not complaining, merely stating the facts. (I have a reputation to maintain, see below). ;)
Doesn't Getty grab images from somewhere too?
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

airfixpilot

Post by airfixpilot » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:26 am

I always thought that copyright was a personal property type of thing, were photos was owned, same as news papers own copyright, as is any photographer owns a picture. I also think it comes under music copyright type of thing. I MAY BE WRONG, so it may need looking into. :unsure:

In all accounts, I guess you should ask permission of the FC member to use his/her photo for use as a desktop or screen saver for your laptop or pc. ;) . If you are refused, I think you could break the copyright law. :unsure: :unsure:

David

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:41 am

airfixpilot wrote:I always thought that copyright was a personal property type of thing, were photos was owned, same as news papers own copyright, as is any photographer owns a picture. I also think it comes under music copyright type of thing. I MAY BE WRONG, so it may need looking into. :unsure:
You are basically correct. However, when you sign up to most social media sites, the small print states that you "grant a license" to that organisation to use any and all content that you post to that site for whatever purpose they want. So whilst you retain the copyright, they can do what they want AND make money from it. However, a third party cannot legally download the photo and use it for themselves - they still have to get their own license from the copyright owner first.
airfixpilot wrote:In all accounts, I guess you should ask permission of the FC member to use his/her photo for use as a desktop or screen saver for your laptop or pc. ;) . If you are refused, I think you could break the copyright law. :unsure: :unsure:
Yep.

However, the brutal truth is that if you post something to the interweb anywhere you can/should expect it to be stolen.

Zymurgy661

Post by Zymurgy661 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:46 pm

A slightly tricky subject and, not being a lawyer, i can't comment with any authority on the in's and out's of copyright law.

However, i can say that there is nothing in the rules with regards to this. I would go further to say that this is true of many forums out there which mainly stipulate rules about not claiming copyright of content which isn't the posters rather than downloading any content without permission. Having spot checked a few (including some of the larger photography forums) that certainly seems a consistent view.

But the real crux of applying a rule such as this is that it is impossible for us (as FC) to stop other users from downloading posted images because they aren't hosted by FC in any way, shape or form. Images are posted using image links to a 3rd party site such as flickr, photobox or your own webhosting so even if you right clicked and saved the image, the content is downloaded and presented by that site in question. So, as such, it isn't a rule of the forum and i don't forsee it becoming one any time in the future because we have no ability to enfore it.

Of course, it goes without saying that this shouldn't stop common courtesy of members asking if they can use an image before actually doing so either via the thread, PM system or direct email.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:02 pm

how do you define downloading??

Zymurgy661

Post by Zymurgy661 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:08 pm

in the context that is being referred to here, i think its safe to say by downloading we are reffering to purposfully saving a copy to your own drive.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:25 pm

was just a thought! in todays day and age with camera fones and ipads, if someone was to take a screen shot off a monitor how would that be defined!?

airfixpilot

Post by airfixpilot » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:16 am

baz1 wrote:how do you define downloading??
Hi Baz. Downloading a photo to your PC or other device, so as to keep. This also the same as downloading text and information off the internet.

David

EGVP

Post by EGVP » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:35 am

Problem is David, most browsers cache images now - so it downloads them and stores them on your PC anyway. The use of the term "downloading" is antiquated and really needs redefining. I'd suggest the use of the term "saving a copy of"

Return to “Forum Rules”