Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Waddington here
reaper493

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by reaper493 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:10 am

It's to do with security risks.
They have brought their own personal security over.
They are not to wear any identification badges and always must have the visor down. They don't want any identifying images of them getting in to the hands of the Palestinians.

It's only a rumour at the moment, will see what happens Monday.
They will have tailwind limits to consider as well.

Mike

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:14 am

The 707 departed from 02 as did the C-130J, although the C-130J was parked down that end it was a surprise to me that the Boeing went off with the cross wind.

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:20 am

reaper493 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:10 am
They are not to wear any identification badges and always must have the visor down. They don't want any identifying images of them getting in to the hands of the Palestinians.

Mike
I feel sorry for the crews locked up at Waddington for the next few weeks , unless they are being allowed out into Lincoln, London where they will stand out like a sore thumb walking down Whitehall with a big helmet on and visor down,
jokeing aside I can fully understand the restrictions and the reasons for them, these guys fly real combat missions most days of the week unlike most airforce pilots around the world
Phil

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:08 pm

pg1610 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:20 am
reaper493 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:10 am

Mike
I feel sorry for the crews locked up at Waddington for the next few weeks , unless they are being allowed out into Lincoln, London where they will stand out like a sore thumb walking down Whitehall with a big helmet on and visor down,
jokeing aside I can fully understand the restrictions and the reasons for them, these guys fly real combat missions most days of the week unlike most airforce pilots around the world
I totally understand they want to hide the identities of the pilots, but the idea that this is going to be helped by taking off from 20 seems pretty absurd.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:13 pm

MiG_Eater wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:08 pm

I totally understand they want to hide the identities of the pilots, but the idea that this is going to be helped by taking off from 20 seems pretty absurd.
I think you mean 02.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:25 pm

Isn't it up to the Israelis to determine their own security along with the UK military? I'm sure they know more than we do and therefore better placed to decide.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Nighthawke wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:25 pm
Isn't it up to the Israelis to determine their own security along with the UK military? I'm sure they know more than we do and therefore better placed to decide.
Yes of course - I just don't understand it. I'm not saying it's wrong, but if the visors are down and there are no identifying patches - what use is it, really?
Mike wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:13 pm

I think you mean 02.
Apologies! I do indeed.

raameagle

Post by raameagle » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:49 pm

In my opinion this 'the Israelis have requested to use Rwy02 for security reasons' nonsense was probably made up by somebody who actually has no clue really and it has become yet another 'rumour' that people insist on spreading, and believing!

The Eagles might request to depart off Rwy02 because it's right in front of them and if they are the only ones flying then it makes perfect sense. Why taxi the length of the airfield to depart from the other end?! They depart from the runway closest to their parking location in Israel and then land the opposite way to save on taxi time. I'm quite certain that when they depart as part of an exercise 'wave' that they will fit in with the other participants and depart off whichever runway is in use at the time. When they fly non exercise flights, they might depart off Rwy02 if nothing else is using the runway and then land on Rwy20 for the reasons mentioned above.

As always, why speculate?! When the exercise starts next week those who visit Waddington will know because they will see it happening and those that don't, well it doesn't matter anyway.

Regards

Mark

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:02 pm

This is isn't the tracking thread and if it wasn't for rumours and chit chat there would be nothing to talk about and the hobby would soon become just a monotonous list of numbers.

I didn't say I believed the rumour but I am perhaps guilty of a bit of rumour mongering - I just put it out there and hope that someone with more intel can fill in the blanks.

I suppose there is always Facebook!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 pm

raameagle wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:49 pm
In my opinion this 'the Israelis have requested to use Rwy02 for security reasons' nonsense was probably made up by somebody who actually has no clue really and it has become yet another 'rumour' that people insist on spreading, and believing!

The Eagles might request to depart off Rwy02 because it's right in front of them and if they are the only ones flying then it makes perfect sense. Why taxi the length of the airfield to depart from the other end?! They depart from the runway closest to their parking location in Israel and then land the opposite way to save on taxi time. I'm quite certain that when they depart as part of an exercise 'wave' that they will fit in with the other participants and depart off whichever runway is in use at the time. When they fly non exercise flights, they might depart off Rwy02 if nothing else is using the runway and then land on Rwy20 for the reasons mentioned above.

As always, why speculate?! When the exercise starts next week those who visit Waddington will know because they will see it happening and those that don't, well it doesn't matter anyway.

Regards

Mark
Pure sense!

Let's hope they depart on 02 and land 20 for those of us in the WAVE! :clap:

LWITTS1964

Post by LWITTS1964 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:13 pm

Please take care when crossing the A15. Was there yesterday and some of the traffic was clearly exceeding the 30mph imposed limit. And some had clearly jumped the lights coming south from Lincoln. So cross with care if you have to and keep back from the verges as well. Stay safe and enjoy the activity

Leon

LN Strike Eagle

Post by LN Strike Eagle » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:01 pm

MiG_Eater wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 pm
If there's any truth in this, I wouldn't rule out 02 departures climbing like rockets to avoid all the cameras on the A15...

Personally speaking, it's ground shots on the taxiway I would be most interested in anyway, as that's something I always struggle with through the fence at Lakenheath, so I shall keep a close eye on how things unfold next week.

Lakesidelad

Post by Lakesidelad » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:24 am

If the F15s use 02, won’t the the caravan be that end, and if so would the others not use 02 as well if flying that day. Or one lot would take off, move the bus and then the next, would take a while ?

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:54 am

If they use 02 when the duty runway is 20 it will mean a lot of carfuffle raising and lowering the arrestor cables.

I will very surprised if this turns out to be true, one thing will be for sure and that’s the :ninja: plane enthusiasts will be at the WAVE.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:26 am

LWITTS1964 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:13 pm
Please take care when crossing the A15. Was there yesterday and some of the traffic was clearly exceeding the 30mph imposed limit. And some had clearly jumped the lights coming south from Lincoln. So cross with care if you have to and keep back from the verges as well. Stay safe and enjoy the activity

Leon
Typical Lincolnshire driving I am afraid. Road signs are ornaments, speed limits are interpreted as the minimum not maximum speed and as for traffic lights red means go. And before anyone says anything I have experienced this on many occasions all over the county. :thumbs:

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:40 am

That kind of driving is not restricted to Lincolnshire, although may be more prevalent. I see it almost everywhere I travel.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:04 am

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:01 pm
MiG_Eater wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 pm
If there's any truth in this, I wouldn't rule out 02 departures climbing like rockets to avoid all the cameras on the A15...

Personally speaking, it's ground shots on the taxiway I would be most interested in anyway, as that's something I always struggle with through the fence at Lakenheath, so I shall keep a close eye on how things unfold next week.
the Israeli KC-707 stated he wanted to depart 02 and not 20 and he did as far as I know !!
Comfortably Numb

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:41 am

Reports and photos appearing on the wave group of RAF police moving people who are stood base side of the A15 already.

Also appears vans are not allowed in the car park, someone in a Vw transporter got turned away.

Car park half full before 7, yet gate was pulled to.

People were waiting to get in at 4.15.....

:Wow:

Campbell89

Post by Campbell89 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:45 am

reaper493 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:41 am
Reports and photos appearing on the wave group of RAF police moving people who are stood base side of the A15 already.

Also appears vans are not allowed in the car park, someone in a Vw transporter got turned away.

Car park half full before 7, yet gate was pulled to.

People were waiting to get in at 4.15.....

:Wow:
Yes people were moved by RAF police. I got here at 7.15, no issues parking. Around 15-20 spaces left maybe a few more.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:57 pm

reaper493 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:41 am
Jerry Dyer from Big Jet TV has been filming today from the main WAVE car park for a preview for tomorrow's "I don't have a clue what I'm talking about" show :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIgSmld0Q3Q&t=93s

He is standing on a platform on top of his Transit van taking this very unprofessional & dreadful video, doesn't even know what "WAVE" stands for and obviously has no clue about the history of Vulcan XM607 either.

I really hope that he's paying the owner of the WAVE rent money for using the parking space, and I really hope that they allow other vans (and camper vans) into the main car park tomorrow (they all had to use the overflow car park down the road yesterday), some were really not happy as this had not been mentioned previously.

Don't forget that BJTV charge a couple of thousand of their followers £4.99 a month for the "privilege" of watching the "Members only" shows. :roll:

Return to “RAF Waddington”