Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Runway

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Waddington here
Rhubarb

Re: Runway

Post by Rhubarb » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi all,
I know what ,where,how about the runway extension and hump removal. What I do not know is WHY ?
Please put me out of my misery ! :S
"A Rhubarb" is a sortie of opportunity !

jakdaw

Post by jakdaw » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:23 pm

tornado6

Post by tornado6 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:27 pm

does anything come in or go out at moment was going to pop over this week if so wasnt sure if had left a runway clear i see some of spyplanes gone coningsby so wasnt sure manythanks

POL

Post by POL » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:36 pm

There are no "spy planes" at Coningsby. Indeed, the closest thing to a "spy plane" is still operating from Waddington!

britaylor

Post by britaylor » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:37 pm

Been pass Waddingdon today having been told that the land east of the A15 runway is being cleaed of top soil does this mean an extension to the main runway of appox 300/400 yards is so where are the road going or are making a tunnel under the runway as the plans for the by pass dont start till further towards Lincoln if why not use the western end and what aircraft will land up here with years to come with the poss longest runway in the UK ??? open to offers

Brian

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:33 pm

The last version I saw of the bypass plan which was late 2013 I think, was that it comes out at the bottom of Bloxham Lane which is the lane that runs round the back of the A15 (for those that know the roads around there).

I think it cuts across the road from Branston to Lincoln, and then comes out near the farm cottages (unless they have changed it again) :roll:

But I guess its a wait and see?

Tim S

oswinclose

Post by oswinclose » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:21 pm

I know nuffink, however if we are into speculation and if indeed the land to the east of the A15 is to be used then I would think two sets of railway crossing gates would be needed to replace the lights on the road. To avoid backtracking they would also need to extend taxiways.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:44 pm

If they extend the runway, I'd guess add a kink into the road like they did when they extended the runway at Scampton for Vulcan ops in the late 50s.

But am going to wait and see

Tim S

oswinclose

Post by oswinclose » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:40 pm

I am going with your idea now Tim, my option would be a nightmare trying to control FOD.

britaylor

Post by britaylor » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks for your remarks guys but no road works have started on the A15 just a matter of wait and see

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:51 pm

The only extension to the runway as part of the ongoing contracted works is to its serviceable life. The structural and surface repairs required are to the existing runway only.

The Lincoln eastern bypass received planning permission in 2013 but is going before public enquiry in August with regard to the side road orders and compulsory purchase orders which are required before works can start on site.

As Tim indicated the new section of bypass will terminate close to the junction of Bloxham Lane, just before the village boundary of Bracebridge Heath. This will involve the construction of a new roundabout and associated slip roads just south of the existing junction. This is approximately 1km North of the landing lights/end of runway.

What the likely outcome of the public consultation and any subsequent ramifications are likely to be is anyone's guess of course.

Supra

Post by Supra » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:16 am

Maybe, just maybe the umpteen year old Landing Aids including Lights need replacing too. Many airfields also feature a dedicated restricted area + 'service road' to access the equipment & infrastructure for maintenance. This would have the added bonus of denying the 'grockles' a perch within the approach area?
Possibly they are also taking the opportunity to revise the array to suit a displaced threshold & 'special air-show' VASI for the hedge-trimming fighter jockeys? :whistle:
AKA:- Tulo Typhoon & Maximus Periltou (the Med's extreme flying finalist!)

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:15 am

Thanks for the information and update John. Apologies if I have misread or understood but the information on the runway extension raises more questions than answers for me.

An extension of 400m to the 02 (Harmston) end will cut across the adjoining farmers field. If the current 180m overrun is taken into consideration and added to the extension works that will bring the boundary to within 200m of the B1178. Would that mean a requirement for lights? This would be a similar distance (within a couple of metres or so) that the 25 end at Coningsby is to the B1192 (which of course has lights). If the current underrun length is not taken into account as part of these works then this may not of be an issue of course.

Also, if as stated the 20 (A15) end is extended up to the fence this would surely have implications on the A15, for which I thought it had been stated this would not be the case. Would the boundary fence not need moving to accommodate a defined runway end safety area in the event of an undershoot, the current requirement (I think) being a distance of 90m from the end of the runway. Again, apologies if I have misunderstood but I can't see how this would work without alterations to the A15 and/or associated traffic control.

Would welcome any clarification on the above and happy to be corrected if I have got this wrong.

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:30 am

Many thanks for the reply and clarification John. That answers my questions nicely!

Rhubarb

Post by Rhubarb » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi All,
Went to look at the works yesterday at about 18:30 hrs on the way home from Coningsby.
Well there was a hard cored entrance to a fenced off area just off the road to Harriston with a small container in it. No sign of life as we know it or activity ! All you can see from ground level is what seems to be a huge trough in line with the existing runway. I could see a few diggers sticking up across the fields but that,s your lot ! Not very exciting I know ! I have a few pickies but they look like they were taken for the farmers union ! :(
The most exciting thing I saw was a black merc who decided to stop dead at my parked vehicle forgetting about the two bikers following him ! One nearly ended up in his boot. The bikers took it extremely calmly I thought considering ! Sorry I thought that bit could add some interest to the story . :blush: What about a report from someone in the air perhaps ? I did see a AWAC take off from that end however. Does this mean that all operational aircraft are imminent to return ?
"A Rhubarb" is a sortie of opportunity !

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:57 pm

Rhubarb

At a guess the answer to the last question is No as the are rebuilding a certain Sqn hangar and there is more than they originally planned for it seems (see post titled Question) which was updated last night.

T

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:24 pm

So I take it the Special Tailed Sentry did have enough Runway to take off from?

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:43 pm

With the power setting used and a light fuel load, plenty of runway available; (bear in mind it will also need accel stop distance availability [ASDA] in light of a severe malfunction prior to V1).
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

n0143773

Post by n0143773 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:46 am

Two thirds of the runway length is enough for all of the aircraft to use, with the exception of the RJ. However, they won't be bringing all aircraft back until the works are complete.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:45 pm

The following article on BBC Lincolnshire updates the situation regarding the runway works.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-33097024

Paul

Return to “RAF Waddington”