Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Another day and night in paradise! 11/08/21

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Coningsby here
Rhubarb

Another day and night in paradise! 11/08/21

Post by Rhubarb » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:50 pm

Hi All,
We are relatively free again so in the car to paradise we go ! The first disaster encountered was the mound had been turned into a plateau and even worse blocked off. What happened? Never will we have a better spot . :'( arrived at crash gate 1 area 13:55. First thing I saw was a blue vw suv half blocking emergency access :grr: They were a family of casual visitors who in better times might have been in Benidorm perhaps ! We need to talk quietly to these trippers if they will listen, before they ruin it for us ! 14:20 (3) up. Heard the Reds locally, apparently at Symington said the Anorks parked sensibily ! 14:45 another (3) up. 15:55 Wolf 315 taxi to the Polypipe apron. 17:15 (4) operation squadroners up. 21:00 (4) more operational ships up. Met some good lads from Nottingham. One camper van from Middlesbrough and a drop driver, off duty with his son from Alfreton. Many more came and went parking at the road side. Asked like many times before about a scanner. I have mine on a mag mount speaker. As told many a newbie to his scanner before "you must understand how their scanner storage configuration works before starting to plink and plonk ". And you generally only need to scan about a 10 frequencies when at a military airfield to get a feel for the operation of the field. Worst disaster of the day was waiting till 20:30 to go to Chipmonk's fish and chip shop. They close at 20:30 now. No chips or fish left :( had to make do with a stake and kidney with large beans. Could have been worse, with nothing though ! I feel much better after another Jet 1 fix however !
Cheers all, perhaps I will meet some of you readers on another visit ?*
"A Rhubarb" is a sortie of opportunity !

Tally-ho

Re: Another day and night in paradise! 11/08/21

Post by Tally-ho » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:09 pm

:lol: Nice one, had a few chuckles there. Benidorm > Anorks > Polypipe apron > the plink and plonk and pie with large beans ... :lol:

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:20 pm

Maybe they should rename the chip shop 'Vampires' if they're selling stake pies? :roll:

Discodaz

Post by Discodaz » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:56 am

I'm surprised you didn't know about the mound as its well documented on here. its been flattened about 2 years now at a guess
its a damn shame though as it has killed viewing at Coningsby for many. but, ultimately i guess, we only have ourselves to blame.

i love coningsby.im planning another trip there very soon.. just got back from 2 weeks in Lossiemouth. although it was a great holiday its not a patch on Coningsby imo

Daz

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:25 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:50 pm
Worst disaster of the day was waiting till 20:30 to go to Chipmonk's fish and chip shop. They close at 20:30 now. No chips or fish left :( had to make do with a stake and kidney with large beans. Could have been worse, with nothing though ! I feel much better after another Jet 1 fix however !
Cheers all, perhaps I will meet some of you readers on another visit ?*
Could've gone to Magic Wok around the corner? They do a mean chicken fried rice :thumb:

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:51 pm

I was up there the day before on the 10th.Flying didn't start till 4pm so I had a pint at the Bluebell to pass some time.I always have a Chipmunks for my lunch everytime I visit CBY which is always good.I would reccomend Agra Tandoori if you like Indian food.Had one the last twice I've been up there and couldn't fault it.

Return to “RAF Coningsby”