Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Where to park and view from?

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Marham here
Freeman Lowell

Where to park and view from?

Post by Freeman Lowell » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:15 pm

It's been some years since I've viewed at RAF Marham, so having some time last Friday (yes, I know they don't fly on Friday) and having read the two guides linked to on this topic, I took a look.

I stopped at both point E & H as indicated in the Thunder & Lightning guide.

At point E since the guide was last updated, the area north of the A1122 has been closed with a low earth bund and a sign erected stating private land.

At point H, the layby is covered in grey sewage sludge and isn't currently the most salubrious place to stop. Just west of here is a new(?) compound directly accessible from the A1122 which would give views of aircraft on approach to 06 if not of the airfield itself.

So my question is - where I can I now park and view from without upsetting any landowner and/or making it difficult for locals.

Many thanks,
Freeman
Sometimes I talk to myself, then we both laugh and laugh.

Blackjack56

Re: Where to park and view from?

Post by Blackjack56 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:19 am

It depends on wind direction really,but i tend to use chalk lane or there is a small layby on the hill on the A1122 where you catch them as they arrive/leave,there is also white lane which i believe is signposted as the Beachemwell road although there are high hedges so you'll have to find a good spot,on the other side of the 1122 was a good spot as you could walk down to the perimiter fence but i think that is the one you say is closed,there has been a lot of controversy about that one with people parking badly blocking access for farm vehicles etc so that doesn't surprise me.also i think they do fly on fridays as they have more aircraft there now,but i don't think it's as" busy" as the other days of the week so it's pot luck as always, happy hunting!.Mark.

Freeman Lowell

Re: Where to park and view from?

Post by Freeman Lowell » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:53 am

Hi Mark, Many thanks for the reply. I will give Chalk Lane a try when the wind is blowing that way. I can make out a few places to stop which aren't field entrances. Yes, the Friday remark was tongue in cheek and I expect you're correct that after the summer lull, things will pick up. All the best,
Freeman
Sometimes I talk to myself, then we both laugh and laugh.

Return to “RAF Marham”