Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Marham here
Alf
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:08 pm

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by Alf » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:23 am

Alf wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:53 am
Credit to Tally on Scramble...

BK-34, ZM168/034 first flight Sep 18, 2023.
Alos credit to Tally on Scramble

BK-35 ZM169 noted at DFW 13th October.

slogen51
Moderator
Posts: 48024
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:11 am
Location: Norfolk - Mundford - YG-BSM

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by slogen51 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:36 am

Anyone here seen ZM143 recently?

Apparently it hasn't returned from the NATO air day at Ostrava?

Malcolm
Posts: 4168
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:26 am

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by Malcolm » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:07 am

Had a chat with the 17sqn guys at Miramar airshow, where ZM135/001 was on display (again! yes I did moan :-) ). They confirmed 004 and 031 are currently on strength at Edwards. 004 was originally due to do Miramar, but was broken so they took 001 instead.

I asked why not 002, because it's the one I need. They said 002 is no longer on strength at Edwards - they didn't/wouldn't say where it was, but did say it had gone for updates, so my guess is that it's now at Cherry Point. They also didn't know it's fate after the updates are complete - so it may not return to Edwards after updates.

User avatar
tommc
Posts: 960
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Suffolk, UK
Contact:

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by tommc » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:30 pm

My GUESS is that ZM136 is somewhere like Ogden getting the test kit and orange wiring removed.

NorvilleRogers
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:03 pm

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by NorvilleRogers » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:30 am

tommc wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:30 pm
My GUESS is that ZM136 is somewhere like Ogden getting the test kit and orange wiring removed.
As mentioned above, Cherry Point is most likely for ZM136 as FRCE do the reworks for the UK F-35B fleet.

PA200
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:44 pm
Location: Deepest Darkest Lincolnshire

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by PA200 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:30 am

tommc wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:30 pm
My GUESS is that ZM136 is somewhere like Ogden getting the test kit and orange wiring removed.
Do they still use the Orange wiring these days? With modern jets having the capability to record pretty much everything, I would have thought it was a thing of the past.
It don't mean a thing if the wings don't swing!!


Miracles I can do...the impossible takes a little longer!

Starbuck
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by Starbuck » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:19 pm

PA200 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:30 am
tommc wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:30 pm
My GUESS is that ZM136 is somewhere like Ogden getting the test kit and orange wiring removed.
Do they still use the Orange wiring these days? With modern jets having the capability to record pretty much everything, I would have thought it was a thing of the past.
Yes they do, the jets that fly day to day aren't set up for test recording hence orange wired jets still being a thing.

Starbuck
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by Starbuck » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:21 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:07 am
Had a chat with the 17sqn guys at Miramar airshow, where ZM135/001 was on display (again! yes I did moan :-) ). They confirmed 004 and 031 are currently on strength at Edwards. 004 was originally due to do Miramar, but was broken so they took 001 instead.

I asked why not 002, because it's the one I need. They said 002 is no longer on strength at Edwards - they didn't/wouldn't say where it was, but did say it had gone for updates, so my guess is that it's now at Cherry Point. They also didn't know it's fate after the updates are complete - so it may not return to Edwards after updates.
Eventually all three 17 SQN jets will be swapped with new frames from the factory one by one, the old ones dewired and upgraded to Block 4 (I think that's the term) then will join the fleet at Marham.

Malcolm
Posts: 4168
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:26 am

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by Malcolm » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:48 pm

Starbuck wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:21 pm
Eventually all three 17 SQN jets will be swapped with new frames from the factory one by one, the old ones dewired and upgraded to Block 4 (I think that's the term) then will join the fleet at Marham.
That was my understanding too, but the CO of 17 Sqn was at Miramar, and he seemed less sure this year than he was last year that this would actually happen.

PA200
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:44 pm
Location: Deepest Darkest Lincolnshire

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by PA200 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:29 pm

Starbuck wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:19 pm
PA200 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:30 am
tommc wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:30 pm
My GUESS is that ZM136 is somewhere like Ogden getting the test kit and orange wiring removed.
Do they still use the Orange wiring these days? With modern jets having the capability to record pretty much everything, I would have thought it was a thing of the past.
Yes they do, the jets that fly day to day aren't set up for test recording hence orange wired jets still being a thing.
Thanks for the reply, I was curious as I've seen the orange wiring on a Tornado we had at TTTE which was ex Warton and they never removed the wiring just returned it to service.
It don't mean a thing if the wings don't swing!!


Miracles I can do...the impossible takes a little longer!

User avatar
Mikepaparomeo
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:03 am
Location: West Midlands

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by Mikepaparomeo » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:55 pm

(ZM139)/005
(ZM149)/015
(ZM142)/008
(ZM158)/024
noted under the shelters 19-Oct lunchtime

mjfreeflyxc
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:56 am

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by mjfreeflyxc » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:14 pm

ZM143/009 3 Passes in The Mach Loop, LFA7
23rd October 2023

Evergreen 44
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by Evergreen 44 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:39 pm

Noted today :
ZM157/023 Ghost 11 Flight t/o 10:00
ZM161/027 Ghost 12 t/o 10:00
ZM139/005 Bolt 11 Flight t/o 11:50
ZM144/010 Bolt 12
ZM149/015 Bolt 13
ZM156/022 Bolt 14

Bolt Flight did initial approach then trail approach and break to land on the pads

Shelters :
ZM145/011
ZM164/030
ZM159/025
ZM154/020

Plus two or three more unidentified

mjfreeflyxc
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:56 am

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by mjfreeflyxc » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:50 pm

Seajet Flight
ZM144/010
ZM149/015

One and a half times round the Mach Loop, LFA7
Exited Bwlch - Bala
24/11/23

RubyRoo
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by RubyRoo » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:26 pm

ZM169 has now flown.

ZM170 and ZM171 are due this year but unlikely until 2024 due to ongoing delivery problems.

Alf
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:08 pm

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by Alf » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:30 am

RubyRoo wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:26 pm
ZM169 has now flown.

ZM170 and ZM171 are due this year but unlikely until 2024 due to ongoing delivery problems.
ZM168 has also been seen at Fort Worth, so 168/169/170/171 probably the next batch when they restart deliveries next year.

RubyRoo
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by RubyRoo » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:13 pm

ZM168 and ZM169 may also be replacing ZM135 and ZM136 at Edwards. We know ZM136 has gone to have it's orange wiring removed at least.

Will just have to wait and see when the next batch arrives, whenever that may be :D

User avatar
markranger
Posts: 3083
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by markranger » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:41 pm

When does the next Sqn form?
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

slogen51
Moderator
Posts: 48024
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:11 am
Location: Norfolk - Mundford - YG-BSM

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by slogen51 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:10 pm

According to the Royal Web site 809 NAS has been "resurrected "

Probably not the same as 'stood up' ?

You do occasionally hear Seajet callsigns but no idea if they are 809 Naval Air Squadron pilots?

Starbuck
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Marham fleet F35 Sightings - 2022/23

Post by Starbuck » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:19 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:10 pm
According to the Royal Web site 809 NAS has been "resurrected "

Probably not the same as 'stood up' ?

You do occasionally hear Seajet callsigns but no idea if they are 809 Naval Air Squadron pilots?
Seajet always used to be associated with jets heading to or from the carriers.

809 hasn't officially stood up yet, due to this year.

Post Reply

Return to “RAF Marham”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests