Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

No parking on roadside

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lakenheath here
paddyboy

Re: No parking on roadside

Post by paddyboy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:58 am

Very well said, Brian :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:25 am

As it is a conservation site, limestone blocks, (150x50x50cm-ish) at 1metre intervals would be a low maintenance, environmentally safe solution.
The supplying quarry could offload them straight into place.

They would make ideal seats for people to use before driving off, leaving their rubbish strewn about the place

🌈. 🕊. 🇺🇸 🇬🇧
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

LN Strike Eagle

Post by LN Strike Eagle » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:36 am

Anyone there? What are the parking arrangements today?

markranger

Post by markranger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:53 am

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:36 am
From what i have heard , same as normal so far.
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:21 pm

I can understand the issue with people parking on the verge of the main A road, and with it being a danger, especially with people crossing the road to get to the fence. However I think the highways agency should also make the road 40 MPH throughout It’s length alongside the base, as passing drivers can get also get distracted by the noise and low flying jets, and some of the driving I have witnessed along that road does leave a lot to be desired! The lane being also restricted is of more concern to me, as I normally use the official car park, but recently have switched to parking on the verge just outside to ensure I can socially distance. The car park has got very busy in recent months and people (Especially families with kids) seem to forget the whole distancing requirement the minute F15’s appear, hence why I am using the verge outside. I wonder who owns that lane, as if private I am not sure the highways agency have the right to restrict parking along it anyway? I have The next two weeks off, and was thinking of popping along, but may wait until normal hours are resumed next week. I know I can get there for 8am, and parking restrictions or not, will get a space in the car park. The issue with these night movements is that I don’t want to arrive at 2pm and find nowhere to park. If anyone is there this afternoon, or going this week would you mind keeping us updated on how the parking is? Thanks.

LN Strike Eagle

Post by LN Strike Eagle » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:09 pm

markranger wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:53 am
LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:36 am
From what i have heard , same as normal so far.
That's good then, thank you. :thumb:

Reach1985

Post by Reach1985 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:48 am

Philly1971 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:21 pm
I can understand the issue with people parking on the verge of the main A road, and with it being a danger, especially with people crossing the road to get to the fence. However I think the highways agency should also make the road 40 MPH throughout It’s length alongside the base, as passing drivers can get also get distracted by the noise and low flying jets, and some of the driving I have witnessed along that road does leave a lot to be desired! The lane being also restricted is of more concern to me, as I normally use the official car park, but recently have switched to parking on the verge just outside to ensure I can socially distance. The car park has got very busy in recent months and people (Especially families with kids) seem to forget the whole distancing requirement the minute F15’s appear, hence why I am using the verge outside. I wonder who owns that lane, as if private I am not sure the highways agency have the right to restrict parking along it anyway? I have The next two weeks off, and was thinking of popping along, but may wait until normal hours are resumed next week. I know I can get there for 8am, and parking restrictions or not, will get a space in the car park. The issue with these night movements is that I don’t want to arrive at 2pm and find nowhere to park. If anyone is there this afternoon, or going this week would you mind keeping us updated on how the parking is? Thanks.
I was there yesterday from 1pm to 6pm. Overall it was certainly the busiest I’ve seen it. I parked on the verge just down from the car park. At 1pm there was still plenty of room along the lane probably because lots of people had waited around all AM for nothing to happen until way past midday when a wave of eagles went up. But it did get busier later on in the day however there was still plenty of comings and goings so you’d more than likely get a spot. I think the weather probably helped yesterday. BTW not much happened between me getting there & 3pm bar the return of perhaps 6-8 eagles. Then it kicked off at 3ish with around 25ish departures in an hour & they returned between 5-6. I think there was then some night flying later too. I think they are on ‘lates’ until 17/9 so expect a similar pattern I’d guess. I hope that helps.

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:09 am

Many thanks for the info Reach, that’s very helpful. Think I will come down this afternoon for a few hours. :clap:

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:21 am

Tuesday I arrived 3pm , spaces on car park and lane leading up but a steady stream of people arriving and departing through the afternoon,it was still busy by 6.30 when I left
Wednesday arrived 1015 and parked without issue at forest entrance,car park still looks to have spaces
Phil

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:46 pm

And are the police now strict on a no parking rule along the verge on the main road from the Forest Entrance?

napalm42

Post by napalm42 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:08 pm

Hello All,
I was there yesterday (15th.) from 07.00 to 19.45 - parked in the Forest Gate entrance. Quite busy at 07.00.
As the day went on more cars arrived and parked on the verges to the left and right of the entrance.
Everybody was sensible, and tucked the cars well off the road.
Many police patrols passed, but did not seem concerned.
I think the problem is on a very busy day, some people parked between the bollards further up the verge towards Brandon, causing the police to move them on, as the passing very large lorries almost removed a couple of doors !!
If you park sensibly, you should be OK..

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:19 am

That's what I saw last week - a number of people determined to get the side of their car scraped by a passing lorry - which in turn lead to complaints to the police.
When everyone parks well in off the road it is a lot safer and then doesn't bother the police.

Ravendriver2008

Post by Ravendriver2008 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:05 pm

Think I’ve seen something on FB with the new restrictions in place such as park only in the car park no parking along the sides, and apparently not allowed to stand by the fence by the path but can stand on the other side of the path ??

Cheers

TealRain

Post by TealRain » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:31 am

I don't do Facebook so that's good to know - thanks. I wonder if the path they refer to is the road up to the farm and church? Hmmm, better get to the viewing area at midnight then?! :unsure:

Caveat, when we are legally allowed to do so that is.

Cheers
Last edited by TealRain on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:43 am

I saw this on FB recently (can't remember which group it was on though), it appears to be a new sign that's at the start of the track to the church from the viewing area.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:10 am

Seem to remember the old sign saying Resident's only beyond this point, often ignored (including by myself....) but I never went further than the trees at the end, I have seen people go as far down as the red bricked building.

See if this one is obeyed, it's a shame really as it's a good viewing point.

Mike

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:22 am

reaper493 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:10 am
Seem to remember the old sign saying Resident's only beyond this point, often ignored (including by myself....)
A bit like the sign at the beginning of the farm track at Wittering that said something like 'No entry, infectious diseases' !

Freeman Lowell

Post by Freeman Lowell » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:47 am

Last time I looked (2015) on Ordnance Survey maps, there was a Public Right of Way footpath marked down that track. Has this been rescinded?
Freeman
Sometimes I talk to myself, then we both laugh and laugh.

TealRain

Post by TealRain » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:54 am

This website: https://www.rowmaps.com together with the postcode for the Church IP27 0SJ shows a ROW leading to the Wangford Road from the viewing area along that track but how up to date that is is any ones guess!

Undertaker

Post by Undertaker » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:04 am

Date on the Maps is correct to 13/0/2021 it says

The council of Suffolk releases under licence data containing details of the rights of way that are in Suffolk. The date of this data is 13th January 2021.

Return to “RAF Lakenheath”