Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Next week

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lakenheath here
Post Reply
Cyberfox
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:01 am

Next week

Post by Cyberfox » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:18 pm

I'm going to LN next week on our annual trip to East Anglia to see my mum, is the base actually open with decent amounts of flying?

Is the car park area open with things being as they are at present? I don't want to drive over 150 miles to find the little road is closed or everything is temporarily at Mildenhall/abroad or something.

Snoop 95
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:17 pm
Location: West Suffolk

Re: Next week

Post by Snoop 95 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:32 pm

Three greens.

Philly1971
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: Next week

Post by Philly1971 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:38 pm

Was there yesterday & maybe tomorrow. Can confirm car park open, and busy (bring your face mask if high risk) and most importantly they were very much flying, with the 494th putting in a very nice effort yesterday!

Cyberfox
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:01 am

Re: Next week

Post by Cyberfox » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:51 am

Good stuff, cheers chaps!

User avatar
The Phantom
Posts: 3476
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: Next week

Post by The Phantom » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:51 pm

Somebody said it seemed there were 500 people there today!!
All the facebookers seem to have discovered the place during the lockdown and it's become the latest trend.

User avatar
plmc135
Posts: 2065
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: South Lincolnshire

Re: Next week

Post by plmc135 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:41 pm

It was just the same at Coningsby, the car park was rammed before 1000 and people continued to arrive.

slogen51
Moderator
Posts: 20731
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:11 am
Location: Norfolk - Mundford - YG-BSM

Re: Next week

Post by slogen51 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Lakenheath was busy today when I drove past, if I didn't have the internet one would presume something special was due in!

Spotting is the new normal - a relatively safe outdoor pursuit.

Whoppa722002
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:43 am

Re: Next week

Post by Whoppa722002 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:52 pm

Was there Wednesday, Thursday and Friday morning. Car park full by 8:30am both Wednesday and Thursday. Was a good 100-150 people down the track plus around 15 or so cars parked on the approach lay by on all three days. Definitely the place to be...
Thanks for any help

Wayne :thumb:

User avatar
Nighthawke
Posts: 3260
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: Next week

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:53 pm

...or maybe not in the current situation.

User avatar
paddyboy
Posts: 19933
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: Somewhere in Norfolk

Re: Next week

Post by paddyboy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:15 am

Indeed, Nighthawke :'(

Picnickers, lack of spatial awareness or discipline, verbal abuse, illegal parking, trespass and litter, litter and yet more litter :grr:

All on a Monday morning a couple of weeks back :'(
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife


Image
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

User avatar
Pune
Posts: 3085
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:47 am
Location: Midlands

Re: Next week

Post by Pune » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:02 am

paddyboy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:15 am
Indeed, Nighthawke :'(

Picnickers, lack of spatial awareness or discipline, verbal abuse, illegal parking, trespass and litter, litter and yet more litter :grr:

All on a Monday morning a couple of weeks back :'(
Sounds like a nightmare Paddy :Wow:
What is wrong with people!!
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

User avatar
Imac
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:08 am

Re: Next week

Post by Imac » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:07 pm

Pune wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:02 am
paddyboy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:15 am
Indeed, Nighthawke :'(

Picnickers, lack of spatial awareness or discipline, verbal abuse, illegal parking, trespass and litter, litter and yet more litter :grr:

All on a Monday morning a couple of weeks back :'(
Sounds like a nightmare Paddy :Wow:
What is wrong with people!!
Would echo the guys comments 100% Sad state of our society in this day and age :( They certainly wouldn't be telling me to 'go forth and multiply' if I was 50 years younger :grr:

Sadly the mind is willing these days but I can no longer back it up :@ Best keep away, suppose to be an enjoyable day out, not good for my blood pressure :grr:

User avatar
Pune
Posts: 3085
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:47 am
Location: Midlands

Re: Next week

Post by Pune » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:21 pm

Imac wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:07 pm
Pune wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:02 am
paddyboy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:15 am
Indeed, Nighthawke :'(

Picnickers, lack of spatial awareness or discipline, verbal abuse, illegal parking, trespass and litter, litter and yet more litter :grr:

All on a Monday morning a couple of weeks back :'(
Sounds like a nightmare Paddy :Wow:
What is wrong with people!!
Would echo the guys comments 100% Sad state of our society in this day and age :( They certainly wouldn't be telling me to 'go forth and multiply' if I was 50 years younger :grr:

Sadly the mind is willing these days but I can no longer back it up :@ Best keep away, suppose to be an enjoyable day out, not good for my blood pressure :grr:
Unfortunately the few will ruin it for all eventually, but they are so selfish they cannot see it :( :@
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

Cyberfox
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:01 am

Re: Next week

Post by Cyberfox » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:31 pm

Doesn't sound very pleasant, it was ok last year when I went.

I'm quite happy to and very capable of sticking up for myself but I'll have my wife with me and she's a proper elegant American lady so I'd rather not have to. Hopefully people can behave and just enjoy the aircraft. If there are too many d*ckheads we'll just go to the bird reserve instead.

What's the viewing area like at Mildenhall these days?

Philly1971
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: Next week

Post by Philly1971 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:56 pm

I was there Monday and Wednesday and people seemed fairly well behaved ( except whoever keeled over resulting in the Air Ambulance having to land in the field next to the viewing area!) it’s just busier than I am used to, especially with families/kids (to be honest I have never bothered to visit in August before specifically to avoid the school holiday crowd) On the Wednesday I decided to park in the lane on the right hand side rather than into the viewing area. You have a bit of a hill to stand on and it also means you don’t have other people around your vehicle. Have to say I am probably imaging it but I think they do put on a bit of a show when there are so many people viewing. I have never seen an overshoot lighting up the burners which happened last week. Also a proper touch and go and finally a wide turn into 24 resulting in flying low right over the viewing area rather than down the runway. In all my times at Lakenheath, these were all firsts, so have to think it’s for the crowd!

Cyberfox
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:01 am

Re: Next week

Post by Cyberfox » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:31 pm

Nice if they put on a bit of a show for us mortals on the ground! I usually park on the verge too, the photography from the car park is rubbish because of the fence. I'll pop down and see how it is this week. If it's too busy maybe check out Mildenhall, not been there for years.

Post Reply

Return to “RAF Lakenheath”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: David750 and 7 guests