Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

New Fire-truck at Fairford and Formal Acknowledgement of Base Change Of Purpose

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Fairford here
thevulcan

New Fire-truck at Fairford and Formal Acknowledgement of Base Change Of Purpose

Post by thevulcan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:28 pm

https://www.501csw.usafe.af.mil/News/Ar ... equipment/

Link regarding new fire-trucks at Fairford

The article also states:
This new equipment is part of a broader plan to continue upgrading capabilities at RAF Fairford, as the base transitions its mission from care and maintenance to actively supporting a U-2 squadron and receiving regular bomber deployments from bases in the United States.
Looks like the U2's will be around for a while believe they were quoted to be around for five years at least and there will be more bomber deployment's (4 a year as a minimum).
2023 Airshows

Too many to list :thumb:

Nighthawke

Re: New Fire-truck at Fairford and Formal Acknowledgement of Base Change Of Purpose

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:36 am

That is one ugly-looking fire truck - front end anyway!

FC Rob

Re: New Fire-truck at Fairford and Formal Acknowledgement of Base Change Of Purpose

Post by FC Rob » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 am

That 'new' Rosenbauer Panther was delivered late last year.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 pm

The company that now has the contract for all MoD Fire and Rescue Services has supplied similar to RAF Leeming this summer. It has the ability to cut into a burning airframe should that be needed I believe.

reaperops

Post by reaperops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 pm

Vulcanone wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 pm
The company that now has the contract for all MoD Fire and Rescue Services has supplied similar to RAF Leeming this summer. It has the ability to cut into a burning airframe should that be needed I believe.

Thank you for this info. Will this include all USVF bases? I understand RAFL and RAFM are currently joint crewed with UK LNDH/ MOD/ USAF firefighters.

When I saw images of the Fairford appliance being delivered late last year, did wonder why there were not being equipped with the latest Oshkosh Appliances.
Here we go........ The Devils Knockin' at my door!

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:58 pm

I think (??) the USAF bases are exempt still as they provide their own Fire/Crash rescue crews

Pune

Post by Pune » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:26 pm

Vulcanone wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:58 pm
I think (??) the USAF bases are exempt still as they provide their own Fire/Crash rescue crews
Fire and Rescue crews at RAF Mildenhall are mixed crews.. :thumb:
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

wessexspotter

Post by wessexspotter » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:20 am

Nighthawke wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:36 am
That is one ugly-looking fire truck - front end anyway!
Has a Mad Max look about it.

Seacat192

Post by Seacat192 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:02 am

As far as I know:

The Senior Officers are U.S. Air Force personnel with the Junior Officers and Firefighters supplied by the Defence Fire Risk Management Organisation - previously known as the Defence Fire Service/Defence Fire & Rescue Service.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER - Somerset Wing

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:09 am

It's changed, newbies have been LNDH DoD rather than MoD for a good few years now.

Seacat192

Post by Seacat192 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:23 am

page_verify wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:09 am
It's changed, newbies have been LNDH DoD rather than MoD for a good few years now.
Thanks for that information.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER - Somerset Wing

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:28 am

No problem, it's the same for UK civilians who were previously MoD employees that worked for the USAF but many are now LNDH DoD.

Pune

Post by Pune » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:21 am

page_verify wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:28 am
No problem, it's the same for UK civilians who were previously MoD employees that worked for the USAF but many are now LNDH DoD.
Sorry for my ignorance but what is/are 'LNDH'?
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:59 am

Local National, Direct Hire - they're UK civilians employed directly by the US Government (meaning they don't have any UK employment rights despite living and working in the UK and paying UK taxes etc. etc.!)

Return to “RAF Fairford”