Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Can someone explain Maxim?

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Fairford here
robg

Can someone explain Maxim?

Post by robg » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:14 pm

Maxim/Maxim 1. Iv'e seen it used in the tracking threads, but I don't really know what it means. A quick Google search, and nothing. Can someone please explain. TIA.

big john

Re: Can someone explain Maxim?

Post by big john » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:20 am

It's the name of a new Standard Instrument Departure for aircraft heading North from Fairford. Full details are available on the US mil FLIP site to authorised personnel,
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:38 am

Not convinced. Wikipedia says otherwise.

Maxim is an international men's magazine, devised and launched in the UK in 1995, but based in New York City since 1997,[3] and prominent for its photography of actresses, singers, and female models whose careers are at a current peak

njjarvis

Post by njjarvis » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:35 pm

I've taken it to mean "don't fly over cirencester ". They were turning north shortly after takeoff then come back round heading west/northwest, skirting around cirencester before joining the Daventry corridor to go east.

lardyboy999

Post by lardyboy999 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:46 pm

page_verify wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:38 am

Maxim is an international men's magazine, devised and launched in the UK in 1995, but based in New York City since 1997,[3] and prominent for its photography of actresses, singers, and female models whose careers are at a current peak
That made oy larf......thank you..... :lol:

robg

Post by robg » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:45 pm

big john wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:20 am
It's the name of a new Standard Instrument Departure for aircraft heading North from Fairford. Full details are available on the US mil FLIP site to authorised personnel,
Cheers john. I went and did a bit more homework, I found this on Wikipedia.
In the United States, SID procedure names are less rigidly formatted, and may simply refer to some notable characteristic of the procedure, a waypoint, or its geographical situation, along with a single digit that is incremented with each revision of the procedure. Thus, the LOOP5 SID at Los Angeles International Airport was so called because it was the fifth revision of a procedure that required aircraft to take off toward the west, over the ocean, and then make a roughly 180-degree turn (i.e., a loop) back toward the mainland.
Makes sense now. Thank you. Given that we don't get to read that publicaion, I guess we can only guess.

page_verify wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:38 am

Nooooo....FHM all the way. They had much better girls, I mean better articles. :Wow:

dervish

Post by dervish » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:59 pm

No position named MAXIM but perhaps [u]Maxim[/u]um rate turn?

DavieB

Post by DavieB » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:24 pm

Think there might be an accent thing going on here - it's a MAXOB departure (1A for 09, 1B for 27) which is at a position 330/20 from the Fairford TACAN.

luxto

Post by luxto » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:45 am

njjarvis wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:35 pm
I've taken it to mean "don't fly over cirencester ". They were turning north shortly after takeoff then come back round heading west/northwest, skirting around cirencester before joining the Daventry corridor to go east.
That may have been a consideration but it also deconflicts Fairford outbounds with traffic concentrations in the Kemble/Aston Down areas.

Return to “RAF Fairford”