Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

NOTAM 17-9-20

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Fairford here
User avatar
jigsaw
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:05 pm

NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by jigsaw » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:08 am

U4272/20 - FAIRFORD MIL ATZ ACTIVE, AD, RWY 27/09 OPEN. 17 SEP 07:00 2020 UNTIL 17 SEP 22:00
2020. CREATED: 17 SEP 06:04 2020

MartynR
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:41 am

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by MartynR » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:12 am

Black01 taxying for t/o r/w 09

MartynR
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:41 am

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by MartynR » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:22 am

Black01 up and going to 127.25

User avatar
jigsaw
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:05 pm

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by jigsaw » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:25 am

*****01 cleared to fl600

MartynR
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:41 am

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by MartynR » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:25 am

Black01 to 252.875

User avatar
jigsaw
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:05 pm

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by jigsaw » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:26 am

The squadron have repeatedly asked for mission callsigns to not be published until the jet returns...

MartynR
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:41 am

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by MartynR » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:27 am

Ahh - sorry - did not know that. Will stop.

Cranberry
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:20 pm
Location: Quite near an airfield somewhere in the UK

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by Cranberry » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:30 am

jigsaw wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:26 am
The squadron have repeatedly asked for mission callsigns to not be published until the jet returns...
Correct, this forum has made it easy for a certain country to confirm a certain type of aircraft is heading in a certain direction at a certain time.

Noddi3
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:44 am

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by Noddi3 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:35 am

Excellent OTT from Droitwich, 0934 BST; visible for good 5 minutes.

welshandy
Posts: 2676
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: Bewdley opposite the SVR

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by welshandy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:41 am

Heard it come over Bewdley,time I got outside it had gone :@

User avatar
SamP
Moderator
Posts: 5327
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:30 pm
Location: Near Gatwick Airport, UK

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by SamP » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:51 am

Cranberry wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:30 am
jigsaw wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:26 am
The squadron have repeatedly asked for mission callsigns to not be published until the jet returns...
Correct, this forum has made it easy for a certain country to confirm a certain type of aircraft is heading in a certain direction at a certain time.
Oh come on guys, this is the fourth day in a row they’ve used BLACK 01 as their callsign, it’s clearly a new standard and it’s not exactly hard to make out over RT.

User avatar
jigsaw
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:05 pm

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by jigsaw » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:53 am

SamP wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:51 am
Cranberry wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:30 am
jigsaw wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:26 am
The squadron have repeatedly asked for mission callsigns to not be published until the jet returns...
Correct, this forum has made it easy for a certain country to confirm a certain type of aircraft is heading in a certain direction at a certain time.
Oh come on guys, this is the fourth day in a row they’ve used BLACK 01 as their callsign, it’s clearly a new standard and it’s not exactly hard to make out over RT.
Im just reiterating what the squadron have asked all the groups and pages to do.

User avatar
SamP
Moderator
Posts: 5327
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:30 pm
Location: Near Gatwick Airport, UK

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by SamP » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:55 am

Yes and I helped to enforce that when the callsigns were on a daily rotation, but common sense prevails when things change. They’ve got nothing to hide now with a callsign used more than once and on consecutive days.

Cranberry
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:20 pm
Location: Quite near an airfield somewhere in the UK

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by Cranberry » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:01 am

I won't get involved in the yes/no/should we/shouldn't we.

I'll just mention that sometimes the threat changes causing the USAF to become concerned for the safety of its airmen and worried about the security of its operations. Maybe, just maybe that's happened recently which is why there's new requests being made. If reducing what I post on here helps reduce the concerns the USAF has then I'm cool with that and I'd always encourage others to do the same. If that means I'm not welcome here any more then that's cool too.

rva65
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:01 am

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by rva65 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 am

surely posting both callsign and the type would be the issue? the Country in question probably already knows more about the type and its missions than the 9thRW, to be honest though why are a bunch of plane spotters even think they have the right to question a request made by the USAF for very good operational reasons?
Last edited by rva65 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

page_verify
Posts: 1256
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:19 pm

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by page_verify » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:08 am

rva65 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 am
surely posting both callsign and the type would be the issue? the Country in question probably already knows more about the type and its missions than the 9thRW!
But our role should be to support the USAF not hinder it? Providing the other side with a live stream of known to be accurate updates on the arrival of a U-2 into an area that's about to be monitored isn't helping the USAF is it? Gone are the days of the other side needing a real time radio watch of UK air band transmissions. Now they just fire up fighter control and start covering up their goodies so they've out of sight when the U-2 arrives.

User avatar
Yammer
Posts: 4306
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by Yammer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:09 am

At the very least there will be listeners inside the Russian Embassy who know the various airband freqs used daily for these flights - they may well have a source closer to the base itself. They may have a source within the European wide air traffic community.

Mission flights could depart with minimal almost zero comms if required.

At the moment there seems to be a lot of NATO surveillance flights up close to the borders around the Black Sea/Crimea, the Baltic/Kalingrad and the Murnansk areas - lets hope no one on either side makes a blunder.
Listening with a Bearcat BCT 15X close to Hammerland

Everything talks but only some Ping - some ad-hoc airband radio scribbles on Blog below

https://airbanduk.blogspot.com/

User avatar
SamP
Moderator
Posts: 5327
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:30 pm
Location: Near Gatwick Airport, UK

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by SamP » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:17 am

Yammer wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:09 am
At the very least there will be listeners inside the Russian Embassy who know the various airband freqs used daily for these flights - they may well have a source closer to the base itself. They may have a source within the European wide air traffic community.

Mission flights could depart with minimal almost zero comms if required.
Exactly.

rva65
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:01 am

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by rva65 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:23 am

page_verify wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:08 am
rva65 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 am
surely posting both callsign and the type would be the issue? the Country in question probably already knows more about the type and its missions than the 9thRW!
But our role should be to support the USAF not hinder it? Providing the other side with a live stream of known to be accurate updates on the arrival of a U-2 into an area that's about to be monitored isn't helping the USAF is it? Gone are the days of the other side needing a real time radio watch of UK air band transmissions. Now they just fire up fighter control and start covering up their goodies so they've out of sight when the U-2 arrives.
Absolutely, any request for internet security by the USAF Sqn’s stationed in the UK, or from the RAF even, should be treated with respect, and adhered to, they aren’t operating from here for fun!

User avatar
Yammer
Posts: 4306
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: NOTAM 17-9-20

Post by Yammer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:33 am

"".....Now they just fire up fighter control and start covering up their goodies so they've out of sight when the U-2 arrives. ""

I can't imagine the any nation would rely on FC for their intel.

Covering up goodies - in addition to flyable aircraft there are dozens of intel related satellites up there watching things of interest criss crossing the skies day in day out. Orbits can be changed. The U-2 will hoover up a ton of SIGNIT/ELINT too in addition to any imagery.

Bear in mind also that the USA announced a few weeks back that they were withdrawing from the Open Skies program - I can't understand why they'd do this and lose the opportunity to fly at short notice over other members nations. I can only assume they are absolutely confident they can get the same intel from sources if not by "asking" other Open Skies members to share a copy of gathered intel.
Listening with a Bearcat BCT 15X close to Hammerland

Everything talks but only some Ping - some ad-hoc airband radio scribbles on Blog below

https://airbanduk.blogspot.com/

Locked

Return to “RAF Fairford”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Spitfire88 and 16 guests