Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

$200k+ Replacement chase cars for U-2

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Fairford here
Ghost from above

$200k+ Replacement chase cars for U-2

Post by Ghost from above » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 am

In all the excitement with the deployment I nearly missed this story.
It's one of those horrendous how not to spend Money.
2x Dodge Chargers have been purchased as chase cars for the U-2 for Fairford but they don't have the correct paperwork so have been sat at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst (JBMDL)since mid August
They haven aparrently never shipped these type military so have no Air Transportability Test Loading Agency certification.
Cars cost circa $40k and Circa $200k to transport military that's a bargain!
Full article here
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... -to-the-uk
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

graham luxton

Re: $200k+ Replacement chase cars for U-2

Post by graham luxton » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:30 am

Ghost from above wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 am
In all the excitement with the deployment I nearly missed this story.
It's one of those horrendous how not to spend Money.
2x Dodge Chargers have been purchased as chase cars for the U-2 for Fairford but they don't have the correct paperwork so have been sat at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst (JBMDL)since mid August
They haven aparrently never shipped these type military so have no Air Transportability Test Loading Agency certification.
Cars cost circa $40k and Circa $200k to transport military that's a bargain!
Full article here
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... -to-the-uk
In use at Fairford yesterday and today.

UKdragon

Post by UKdragon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:27 am

also see:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... -squadron/

Actually, there's quite a history of U-2 chase cars at Fairford, but some of it is a bit embarrassing, so I won't relate it here. But if you see me somewhere on my occasional visits to airshows or the fence line (Waddington next week?) then I'll tell you. :D

CP

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:44 am

Last time I saw a U2 land at Fairford they were using a Jaguar F Type.

Timmo

Post by Timmo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:11 pm

ChrisCwmbran wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:44 am
Last time I saw a U2 land at Fairford they were using a Jaguar F Type.
Also noted a Tesla Model S and a Nissan GTR in the past.

graham luxton

Post by graham luxton » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:18 pm

UKdragon wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:27 am
also see:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... -squadron/

Actually, there's quite a history of U-2 chase cars at Fairford, but some of it is a bit embarrassing, so I won't relate it here. But if you see me somewhere on my occasional visits to airshows or the fence line (Waddington next week?) then I'll tell you. :D

CP
Can't think of anyone better to tell those tales! :lol:

UKdragon

Post by UKdragon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:25 pm

I thought I told you already, Graham! Can you please call me ASAP?

Precinct7

Post by Precinct7 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:56 pm

they could drive them Norfolk VA & ship on a Roll on/ Roll off vessel would be here by middle of September

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:08 pm

We have ships at ACL that call Norfolk and Liverpool, bet we can beat the Airforces quote!! :whistle: :whistle:
Cameraless

blackhandgang17

Post by blackhandgang17 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:00 pm

Would they not do the same as the RAF done from Cyprus and send them over on a space available basis with the proviso that if anything went wrong your car was on the ramp and it was first off if it had to lose weight.But they probably never had to leave the ballast in the boot for the movers/crew.

There’s enough C-17’s coming across to Mildenhall that space would not be a problem just make sure no fuel in it and battery removed tie it down onto a pallet get the weight of the pallet job sorted

Paul

Mr Burns

Post by Mr Burns » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:59 pm

blackhandgang17 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:00 pm
Would they not do the same as the RAF done from Cyprus and send them over on a space available basis with the proviso that if anything went wrong your car was on the ramp and it was first off if it had to lose weight.But they probably never had to leave the ballast in the boot for the movers/crew.

There’s enough C-17’s coming across to Mildenhall that space would not be a problem just make sure no fuel in it and battery removed tie it down onto a pallet get the weight of the pallet job sorted

Paul
Paul
Unfortunately alot more to it than that. Otherwise they would have been cleared for air transport already.
You could put them on a linked pallet but then you are risking damaging the cars with the restraint methods.

Not only that the cars will be classed as dangerous good regardless if it has no fuel in it. There will always be residual fuel.

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Mr Burns wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:59 pm
blackhandgang17 wrote:

Paul
Paul
Unfortunately alot more to it than that. Otherwise they would have been cleared for air transport already.
You could put them on a linked pallet but then you are risking damaging the cars with the restraint methods.

Not only that the cars will be classed as dangerous good regardless if it has no fuel in it. There will always be residual fuel.
We ship both containerized vehicles and RoRo vehicles on a regular basis and Solas regs mean if the fuel tanks are drained and the battery disconnected (if containerised) then they aren't classed as Hazardous. We could have done that shipment 40 times for that price!!
Cameraless

Mr Burns

Post by Mr Burns » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:54 pm

Mark wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:17 pm
Mr Burns wrote:
blackhandgang17 wrote:

Paul
Paul

We ship both containerized vehicles and RoRo vehicles on a regular basis and Solas regs mean if the fuel tanks are drained and the battery disconnected (if containerised) then they aren't classed as Hazardous. We could have done that shipment 40 times for that price!!
Sending them by sea is not an issue atall. But when it comes to dangerous goods. Movement by air is the strictest in the world. And always a pain in the ass

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Mr Burns wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:54 pm
Mark wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:17 pm
Mr Burns wrote:

Paul

Sending them by sea is not an issue atall. But when it comes to dangerous goods. Movement by air is the strictest in the world. And always a pain in the ass
Sea can be just as bad, its surprising what cargo's need segregating from each other, even within seperate containers..
Cameraless

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:33 pm

You can walk in to any UK Ford dealership and order a
Top of the range Ford Mustang for £50k.

Ghost from above

Post by Ghost from above » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:55 pm

But would have to pay tax on the purchase. Sourcing from the states means no tax and the car is set up to US standards left hand drive etc.
The delay is due to the issue with the certification.Can it load direct or is there sufficient clearance with the car overhang front and rear to get up the ramp. its weight and centre of gravity need calculated so the loadmaster can place it in the correct location depending on aircraft type and what else is on the load.
They could always charter one of the companies that drag the supercars to London each summer from the middle East.
Mac

ffd

Post by ffd » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:27 pm

I might be wrong, but the quoted $200k seems to be back of a fag packet maths based on the $ per flight hour cost of a delivery flight (and back) solely to deliver these. That seems like a bit of willful ignorance/sensationalism, given that in reality these would most likely be loaded onto an existing reach flight

Motley

Post by Motley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:48 pm

Ghost from above wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:55 pm
But would have to pay tax on the purchase. Sourcing from the states means no tax and the car is set up to US standards left hand drive etc.
The delay is due to the issue with the certification.Can it load direct or is there sufficient clearance with the car overhang front and rear to get up the ramp. its weight and centre of gravity need calculated so the loadmaster can place it in the correct location depending on aircraft type and what else is on the load.
They could always charter one of the companies that drag the supercars to London each summer from the middle East.
Dont think they really mind left hand drive or not, seen both Subaru's and BMW's both in right hand drive used, with me in the passenger seat

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:06 pm

Nothing wrong with dropping them in a shipping container, the way most car importers do it for a few grand.
Mike Brewer from wheelers dealers for the job.

Ghost from above

Post by Ghost from above » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:29 am

The article is just stating the circa cost if they were on a plane on there own so yes "bit of willful ignorance/sensationalism" on the article authors behalf" I think the issue of the delay is weird for the certification for a vehicle that is used in many guises and bases across the world. It seems the slightest change in spec means a re certification.
Whereas as pointed out the commercial market is somewhat more relaxed. Imagine if for the shipping of 4-5 of the modified supercars to London needing calculations done it would be a nightmare with the personalisations of the vehicles.
Mac

Return to “RAF Fairford”