Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Peace Protesters

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Fairford here
User avatar
Pune
Posts: 2927
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:47 am
Location: Midlands

Peace Protesters

Post by Pune » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi Folks,
From another forum; heard there have been issues with peace protesters around the perimeter, I don't want to escalate this but just wondered if anyone has seen/heard anything, and should we be aware of anything untoward?
Cheers
Pune
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

Undertaker
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:20 am
Location: Aylesbury, England

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Undertaker » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:42 pm

Which airfield/airport ??

MRTT
Posts: 6452
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by MRTT » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:43 pm

Fairford, hence the reason it's in the Fairford Bomber Deployment Section..

User avatar
633 squadron
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:47 pm
Location: urrrm hard to describe...
Contact:

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by 633 squadron » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:52 pm

cant say ive seen any the times I've been there over the last two weeks :S
Fujifilm X-H1 - XF 100-400mm
My website http://633media.co.uk/
633 4Ever :cool:

Undertaker
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:20 am
Location: Aylesbury, England

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Undertaker » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:55 pm

the post says it's in the 'General Info' section

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 18463
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Up North

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:02 pm

Image

dervish
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:46 pm

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by dervish » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:03 pm

Undertaker wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:55 pm
the post says it's in the 'General Info' section
On my screen it shows the post is in:

Home < Board index < Fairford Bomber Deployment 2019 < General Info

Different browsers/devices might show things in different ways but the post IS in the correct section to clearly show that it is about Fairford ;)

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 18463
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Up North

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:25 pm

The chief protester is Lindis Percy, one of the ex. Greenham Common great unwashed :- https://www.facebook.com/lindis.percy?_ ... tion=group

User avatar
Freeman Lowell
Posts: 901
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:00 pm
Location: Blandford Forum next to Mrs Kipling

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Freeman Lowell » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:26 pm

Nothing/nobody at the Marston Meysey end or the northern crash gate opposite the B-52 pans at 0800hrs this morning. Friendly police patrol though.
Freeman

Reach1985
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:01 pm
Location: Norwich

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Reach1985 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:43 pm

Whatever your personal opinion I think it’s worth remembering that peace protesters (as long as they are not causing trouble/trespassing etc.) have just the same right to be by the fence as we have. I really don’t think we should denigrate or criticise.

Personally I think it’s a timely reminder that these aircraft are weapons of war and can/have cause enormous destruction and all that goes along with that. I don’t think any of us really want to see these aircraft at Fairford like they were in 91,99 and 03 - at war.

I feel sometimes that this hobby has become something of a spectator sport and that it is worth our while considering the wider moral and ethical questions of our hobby every so often.

On a sort of related point I have to say that I have found some of the press coverage on this deployment to be rather jingoistic. I think it’s a good thing that there are those out there who choose to counter act this through their protest(s) or campaigning.

User avatar
PeteHemsley
Posts: 2742
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: mobile UK
Contact:

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by PeteHemsley » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:56 pm

Report from Marston the other day was that there was protesters outside the main gate into fairford.

User avatar
Pune
Posts: 2927
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:47 am
Location: Midlands

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Pune » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Reach1985 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:43 pm
Whatever your personal opinion I think it’s worth remembering that peace protesters (as long as they are not causing trouble/trespassing etc.) have just the same right to be by the fence as we have. I really don’t think we should denigrate or criticise.

Personally I think it’s a timely reminder that these aircraft are weapons of war and can/have cause enormous destruction and all that goes along with that. I don’t think any of us really want to see these aircraft at Fairford like they were in 91,99 and 03 - at war.

I feel sometimes that this hobby has become something of a spectator sport and that it is worth our while considering the wider moral and ethical questions of our hobby every so often.

On a sort of related point I have to say that I have found some of the press coverage on this deployment to be rather jingoistic. I think it’s a good thing that there are those out there who choose to counter act this through their protest(s) or campaigning.
Well said, I agree, I posted the question as I haven't seen/heard anything and would have thought it would spread throughout our little community quite rapidly, here's to a few more weeks of peaceful spotting/photography or whatever takes your fancy.
Cheers
Pune
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

User avatar
Pune
Posts: 2927
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:47 am
Location: Midlands

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Pune » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:00 pm

MRTT wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:43 pm
Fairford, hence the reason it's in the Fairford Bomber Deployment Section..
Thank you MRTT
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 18463
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Up North

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Jingoistic = characterised by extreme patriotism, especially in the form of aggressive or warlike foreign policy.

For those that didn't know what it meant (me included). :lol:

Reach1985
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:01 pm
Location: Norwich

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Reach1985 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:12 pm

Pune wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:59 pm
Reach1985 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:43 pm
Whatever your personal opinion I think it’s worth remembering that peace protesters (as long as they are not causing trouble/trespassing etc.) have just the same right to be by the fence as we have. I really don’t think we should denigrate or criticise.

Personally I think it’s a timely reminder that these aircraft are weapons of war and can/have cause enormous destruction and all that goes along with that. I don’t think any of us really want to see these aircraft at Fairford like they were in 91,99 and 03 - at war.

I feel sometimes that this hobby has become something of a spectator sport and that it is worth our while considering the wider moral and ethical questions of our hobby every so often.

On a sort of related point I have to say that I have found some of the press coverage on this deployment to be rather jingoistic. I think it’s a good thing that there are those out there who choose to counter act this through their protest(s) or campaigning.
Well said, I agree, I posted the question as I haven't seen/heard anything and would have thought it would spread throughout our little community quite rapidly, here's to a few more weeks of peaceful spotting/photography or whatever takes your fancy.
Cheers
Pune
:thumb:

Absolutely

Reach1985
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:01 pm
Location: Norwich

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Reach1985 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:15 pm

Mike wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:03 pm
Jingoistic = characterised by extreme patriotism, especially in the form of aggressive or warlike foreign policy.

For those that didn't know what it meant (me included). :lol:
The recent Daily Mail coverage being a good example but also some of the local news outlets too who appear to be treating this exercise (and giving it the coverage of) as some sort of mass appeal sporting event. Strange.

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 18463
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Up North

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Daily Mail?

No, I don't read that garbage!

User avatar
Thunder
Posts: 4144
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Thunder » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:39 pm

Reach1985 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:15 pm
who appear to be treating this exercise (and giving it the coverage of) as some sort of mass appeal sporting event. Strange.
Which is basically what 99% of the members on here think and see it as, because to us enthusiasts it is up there with if not above the FA cup final, Wimbledon or the Boat Race.

Geoff
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:30 am

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by Geoff » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Peace protestors should stop and think about these aircraft at R.A.F. FAIRFORD....it is because they are there that they are free to prostest.... lots of other countries would stand them against a wall

User avatar
paddyboy
Posts: 19332
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: Somewhere in Norfolk

Re: Peace Protesters

Post by paddyboy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:52 am

Well said Geoff :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife


Image
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Post Reply

Return to “RAF Fairford”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: seankyte and 13 guests