Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Please post movements and activities to do with RNAS Yeovilton and Merryfield here
rh226
Posts: 11674
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Melksham, Wiltshire

Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by rh226 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:07 pm

Brand new thread to cover the period June to August 2019
Cheers, Bob

Two66
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Two66 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm just going to repost this here so it doesn't get lost in the changeover...

Algerian Merlin 7T-WVB (ZR350) came up from France Friday, stopped for a while at Exeter before flying to Yeovil and landing at Westlands

Judwin71
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:25 am
Location: 3 miles south of Judwin

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Judwin71 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:18 am

Flying today: 7T-WVB AW101, WHE02.

Judwin71
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:25 am
Location: 3 miles south of Judwin

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Judwin71 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:25 am

Briefly flying this morning (10ish) AW139 G-CIJW c/s AGUSTA62.

User avatar
Mikepaparomeo
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:03 am
Location: West Midlands

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Mikepaparomeo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:45 pm

Wildcat seen inbound from the east around 2.30pm today 20 June but was driving so no reg. Is Yeovil the hardest place in the UK to view the aprons? I struggled to find anywhere, but not being local probably don't know all the possibilities!
Regards
Mark

Malcolm
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:26 am

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Mikepaparomeo wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:45 pm
Wildcat seen inbound from the east around 2.30pm today 20 June but was driving so no reg. Is Yeovil the hardest place in the UK to view the aprons? I struggled to find anywhere, but not being local probably don't know all the possibilities!
Regards
Mark
/League of Gentlemen voice=on
There are local places for local people :-)
/League of Gentlemen voice=off

Try here :
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50% ... -2.6464435

Stuff will probably be nose/tail on but Wildcats and some Merlins are readable if you walk up and down the path under the approach. If there are Merlins that are unreadable then you can try here :

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50% ... -2.6484176

Wildcats are a bit low behind the hump from here, but Merlins are usually get-able. When they put in the new 12000 ft concrete B52 capable runway hopefully they'll remove the hump. :P

A final place to try is here :
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50% ... -2.6614965

You can't see the ramps from here, but there are sometimes helicopters parked out for tests next to the fence. There are a few other places. but I can't let you into the back bedroom :-)

The only place that I'm aware of that they routinely park stuff and you can't see to read it off is the wash rack, which is the yellow arch thing up near the Tower.

User avatar
Mikepaparomeo
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:03 am
Location: West Midlands

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Mikepaparomeo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:27 pm
Mikepaparomeo wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:45 pm
Wildcat seen inbound from the east around 2.30pm today 20 June but was driving so no reg. Is Yeovil the hardest place in the UK to view the aprons? I struggled to find anywhere, but not being local probably don't know all the possibilities!
Regards
Mark
/League of Gentlemen voice=on
There are local places for local people :-)
/League of Gentlemen voice=off

Try here :
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50% ... -2.6464435

Stuff will probably be nose/tail on but Wildcats and some Merlins are readable if you walk up and down the path under the approach. If there are Merlins that are unreadable then you can try here :

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50% ... -2.6484176

Wildcats are a bit low behind the hump from here, but Merlins are usually get-able. When they put in the new 12000 ft concrete B52 capable runway hopefully they'll remove the hump. :P

A final place to try is here :
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50% ... -2.6614965

You can't see the ramps from here, but there are sometimes helicopters parked out for tests next to the fence. There are a few other places. but I can't let you into the back bedroom :-)

The only place that I'm aware of that they routinely park stuff and you can't see to read it off is the wash rack, which is the yellow arch thing up near the Tower.
Most kind. Will check these out on next visit, before I seek permission to visit said bedroom. Best, Mark

Malcolm
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:26 am

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:16 am

Friday 21st June 2019
Out on warm and mainly sunny ramp at 08:45 this morning was :

0275 Merlin for Norway, no UK serial.
(MM81???)/15-11/ZR360 HH-101 Caesar, for Italy, Fully painted and looks ready for flight. Italian serial not read, but is on the tail

I'd guess the Noggie is likely to be delivered later today, so heads up Newcastle.

Cheers
Malcolm

Judwin71
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:25 am
Location: 3 miles south of Judwin

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Judwin71 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:38 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:16 am
Friday 21st June 2019
Out on warm and mainly sunny ramp at 08:45 this morning was :

0275 Merlin for Norway, no UK serial.
(MM81???)/15-11/ZR360 HH-101 Caesar, for Italy, Fully painted and looks ready for flight. Italian serial not read, but is on the tail

I'd guess the Noggie is likely to be delivered later today, so heads up Newcastle.

Cheers
Malcolm
Departed approx 0915 as 0275 (ex ZZ106) flight id NOW330D.

Andy Marden
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:15 am

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Andy Marden » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:16 am
Friday 21st June 2019
so heads up Newcastle.
Humberside I think?

razzer56
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:35 am

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by razzer56 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:38 am

Italian HH101A ZR350 Coded 15-11 flew between 10.45 & 11.15. Maybe its 1st flight.Italian serial was taped over!
razzer56

somerset
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:56 pm
Location: yeovil, somerset

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by somerset » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Mikepaparomeo wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:37 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:27 pm
Mikepaparomeo wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:45 pm
Wildcat seen inbound from the east around 2.30pm today 20 June but was driving so no reg. Is Yeovil the hardest place in the UK to view the aprons? I struggled to find anywhere, but not being local probably don't know all the possibilities!
Regards
Mark
/League of Gentlemen voice=on
There are local places for local people :-)
/League of Gentlemen voice=off

Try here :
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50% ... -2.6464435

Stuff will probably be nose/tail on but Wildcats and some Merlins are readable if you walk up and down the path under the approach. If there are Merlins that are unreadable then you can try here :

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50% ... -2.6484176

Wildcats are a bit low behind the hump from here, but Merlins are usually get-able. When they put in the new 12000 ft concrete B52 capable runway hopefully they'll remove the hump. :P

A final place to try is here :
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50% ... -2.6614965

You can't see the ramps from here, but there are sometimes helicopters parked out for tests next to the fence. There are a few other places. but I can't let you into the back bedroom :-)

The only place that I'm aware of that they routinely park stuff and you can't see to read it off is the wash rack, which is the yellow arch thing up near the Tower.
Most kind. Will check these out on next visit, before I seek permission to visit said bedroom. Best, Mark
You can always stand in the bridge opposite Tesco and look over the site with binoculars

Judwin71
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:25 am
Location: 3 miles south of Judwin

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Judwin71 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:52 pm

razzer56 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:38 am
Italian HH101A ZR350 Coded 15-11 flew between 10.45 & 11.15. Maybe its 1st flight.Italian serial was taped over!
razzer56
ZR350 became Algerian 7T-WVB previous post suggests 15-11 should be ZR360

razzer56
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:35 am

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by razzer56 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:13 pm

Sorry finger trouble. It was ZR 360
razzer56

Judwin71
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:25 am
Location: 3 miles south of Judwin

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Judwin71 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:51 pm

AW109E G-WOFM landed at 1405L

User avatar
eagle driver
Posts: 8156
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:46 am
Location: knaphill Surrey

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by eagle driver » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:38 pm

Noted plotting on Adsb today was Merlin ZZ102 as WHE04.

User avatar
Freeman Lowell
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:00 pm
Location: Next to Mrs Kipling

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Freeman Lowell » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:52 pm

Thursday 27th June 2019 1330hrs

ZR360 15-11 HH-101A. Flew earlier. Shows on VR as 'ZR356'.
ZZ415 Wildcat HMA2. Flew later. Potentially wired for FASGW integration trials.

Freeman

Judwin71
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:25 am
Location: 3 miles south of Judwin

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Judwin71 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:05 pm

Freeman Lowell wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:52 pm
Thursday 27th June 2019 1330hrs

ZR360 15-11 HH-101A. Flew earlier. Shows on VR as 'ZR356'.
ZZ415 Wildcat HMA2. Flew later. Potentially wired for FASGW integration trials.

Freeman
this is the second use of the same ADS-B Hex for test flying HH101A at Yeovil

User avatar
Yammer
Posts: 2916
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Yammer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:41 am

""ZZ415 Wildcat HMA2. Flew later. Potentially wired for FASGW integration trials.""


more here on FASGW

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/royal-n ... lity-2020/
Listening with a Bearcat BCT 15X

Everything talks only some Ping

Malcolm
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:26 am

Re: Yeovil (Westlands) Sightings Summer 2019

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:27 am

Friday 28th June 2019
Out on hot and sunny ramp at 08:45 this morning was :

(MM81???)/15-10/ZR359 HH-101 Caesar, for Italy, Fully painted and looks ready for flight.

Not sure when it came back from Italy, but it's deffo '359/15-10 (read from the bedroom window :-) )

Cheers
Malcolm

Post Reply

Return to “RNAS Yeovilton, Yeovil Westlands & Merryfield”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest