Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Review of Day

Posts relating to information and discussion on the Scampton Airshow
PR9

Re: Review of Day

Post by PR9 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:27 am

Would have needed a 2nd mortgage to take the planned 4 adults (two of them pensioners) and a 2 year old.
Arrivals on Friday was enjoyable, but as many commented not sure the lineup justified the ticket price (for the show).

If next year they drop the price I could however be tempted. :ninja:
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Mortgages that cheap nowadays?

Dam I could buy me a whole estate..... :ninja:

airfixpilot
Location: Sth killingholme, Nth Lincolnshire. Home of the OIL Refinerys: LOL

Post by airfixpilot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Monday 11th September 2017.
WASHOUT...Made it to departure day at Scampton at 7.35, and yes it was raining. I guess that around 1000-2000 people present. What a shame it lashed it down, so after getting soaked to the skin made my way home.

Not Scamptons fault that the weather was nasty. But if the sun was out it would have been a great £5 spent. At least got a airshow polo shirt, which was reduced to £10, to change into :) .

Maybe next year the airshow prices may not be as high, and I might attend the main event. it was said that around 50,000+ (adult price and not including kids), people attended the shows so at £39.50 per ticket that's a hell of a amount money, and before charging the traders. :pop:
Talk about making money.
WATCHING & LISTENING IN LINCOLNSHIRE
Keep Calm & Carry On, Stay Positive & Chill.

Chill to Military Airband in the background with a coffee & Biscuits.
Listening into airband on the east coast of Lincolnshire.

David

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:31 pm

"Talk about making money"... yes, for charity :)

jimsheach

Post by jimsheach » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Travelled from Edinburgh and stayed in Lincoln Friday and Saturday evenings. Used the shuttle bus from Lincoln Station, efficient way to get in/out just a small delay in traffic on the way out around 8:45.

Thought the mix of Static and Flying Displays were good also liked the Vintage Village and the Heritage hangar..... no lack of interesting things to do and see.

Main benefit was a runway with lots of take off and landing photo ops as well as the displays. I'd go back :-) Good job for a first year. Breakdowns, weather and changes to the programme par for the course.

Take a look at my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/jimsheach

Hunter49

Post by Hunter49 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi,regarding the fly in days thurs/friday .the info regarding what air craft were coming each day was zero! thurs asked the volunteer marshalls on the crowd line what was arriving and times , they said they didnt know anything? friday asked same guys they said they had been told inthe morning breiefing times and aircraft but had been told not to let any spectator know?What was this all about ,keeping the spotters in the dark , not very happy with this kind of treatment to the people who had paid the entrance fee. anybody who can shed any light on this situation would like to know the reason for this ! ROB

airfixpilot

Post by airfixpilot » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Further to my post, I would like your views on entrance fees to UK airshows. I know some people think that £39.00 is a fair price for a airshow and also I guess Fairford IAT may be more, some ordinary family's cannot afford to go. Should a level price structure be made for all airshows?, were whatever airshow you go to the admission remains the same? I understand that everything costs, such as policing, security and helpers and PA systems, so we have to factor this into the fair admission price. Two ways to look at this is, the amount of spectators/ admissions you take on each day, compared to what you charge. If you drop the price more people may attend, than keeping the price high and putting off people who cannot afford it. Another factor is the distance people have to travel for the show. On departure day on Monday I talked to a fellow FC member who travelled from Fairford for the day. He said was not paying the entrance fee for the airshow, but found it worthwhile the £5 just for departure day. Unfortunately it rained like heck, and we got drenched. Washout.

I believe that £20-£25 is a reasonable amount for an adult per day, and maybe £16 per child with no booking fees, as this could be taken out of ticket sales. Or even charge by the car full at say £50 per day, this would be fair as that could be shared by driver and passengers. Of course bus company's have their own ticked structures for the event. I do believe it unfair that higher charges on the day are lowered for pre booking online or phone. I also think upgrading to chalets and VIP areas should be stopped, as that is also discrimination against people who cannot again afford it, and should be again be on the day option for people with a nominal fee. one more gripe is food and drink vendors who think its fine to rip us off. captive customers or what, with tea or coffee in a small paper cup at £2.50 (WOW), they would charge for the loos if they could, but portaloos stopped this as they do not have a coin operated door. Here is one for the books, I had taken My travel thermos cup and a pack of six sachets nescafe , just add water drinks. When I asked a vendor for hot water for my cup, He told me it would cost Me £3. The coffee & tea from the vendor was £2.50 for a cup :Wow: I know they have to makea living Not a killing.
Awaiting your views :pop:

David

XPLUMBER

Post by XPLUMBER » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:45 am

So just how do you propose to force organisers to adopt a uniform pricing policy?

In the case of RIAT, Scampton and many other shows the whole point is to raise funds for charity, hence the recent practice of making an airshow in to a Sunday market which appeals to more people than just presenting military aircraft either flying or static.

Airshows have evolved, we have allowed them to and now there is no way back. If an organiser plans for 50000 people over a weekend and sells all of those tickets in advance, the money is in the pot.

Old style Airshows have gone forever. The Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden is still a pleasant place to view aeroplanes, but even there, advance ticketing is the way to go.
CANONs carried by an ARMOURER!

hangars are for shirts!

Freeman Lowell

Post by Freeman Lowell » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:39 am

David,
Your post from Saturday night raises some good points.
It’s particularly interesting that you highlight that a trader would wish to charge for a drop of hot water, when supplying that would not cost him any more on his costs for his pitch, transport, staff, accommodation or fuel.
I agree that the distance travelled makes a difference whether an airshow is affordable or not. A lot people would need to travel a lot farther than even Fairford. A more equitable system would be if the organisers could take into account each person's travelling costs to get to an airshow, so that those living closer would pay more and those having to travel hundreds of miles had a reduced price ticket.
On-line ticket sales have their place. Buying in advance gives the organisers an idea of attendance allowing them to organise the requisite numbers of staffing and buses etc. It also sells more tickets than they would sell on the day, as some people buying early tickets simply wouldn’t have attended if they had known the aircraft displaying.
I disagree with your view on enclosures though. If punters are daft enough to pay the money for an enclosure where they don’t even get a cup of tea included or enough under cover area to stand when it starts pouring down, I don’t see why they shouldn’t.
Freeman
It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.

airfixpilot

Post by airfixpilot » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:31 am

re Xplumber.

The advanced ticket is ok its just the extra £2 they put on after reducing the price. its not fair to charge £2 for card fee, and its not fair that people who turn up on the day pay more for entry.

Right OR Wrong?
I would like a fair playing field for everyone on entrance fees, that's all. Its in some respect discrimination of those who have and have not money to burn. I am the latter.

The traders make a profit, or they would never attend the shows. I bought a polo shirt for £10 (Scampton airshow) reduced from the show days, for departure day. Now people who bought the same shirt would now feel put out for paying the higher price. See the shoe is on the other foot. :roll:

ps dont forget £3 for just hot water, for my themos cup :@ :@ P-Takers

David

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:36 am

David Thompson wrote:
MRTT wrote:According to a friend who was in attendance yesterday, the dates for next year are printed in the rear of the programme. :thumb:
The 8th and 9th of September 2018 .
Sadly for Scampton, it clashes with Belgian Air Force Day's at Kleine Brogel. So could lose out on a few participants
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

rh226

Post by rh226 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:16 am

airfixpilot wrote:re Xplumber.

The advanced ticket is ok its just the extra £2 they put on after reducing the price. its not fair to charge £2 for card fee, and its not fair that people who turn up on the day pay more for entry......it is an admin charge, not a card fee. Even if it were, it depends on what they are charged by the banks - for a credit card, it would be reasonable, but for a debit card max 0p - 50p

Right OR Wrong?
I would like a fair playing field for everyone on entrance fees, that's all. Its in some respect discrimination of those who have and have not money to burn. I am the latter......way of life. Advance sales are often cheaper than on-the-day prices

The traders make a profit, or they would never attend the shows. I bought a polo shirt for £10 (Scampton airshow) reduced from the show days, for departure day. Now people who bought the same shirt would now feel put out for paying the higher price. See the shoe is on the other foot. :roll:......what is wrong with a "reduced to clear" price?

ps dont forget £3 for just hot water, for my themos cup :@ :@ P-Takers......Same as corkage. You have deprived him of the profit he would have made - though I would have thought that £1 - £1.50 would have been more reasonable
Cheers, Bob

airfixpilot

Post by airfixpilot » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:37 am

Differance Profit/Rip Off,
enough said.

David

XPLUMBER

Post by XPLUMBER » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:45 am

It is even simpler than that.

Set a price, if it sells out you got it just right!
CANONs carried by an ARMOURER!

hangars are for shirts!

POL

Post by POL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:53 am

Or you undercut yourself...

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:57 am

airfixpilot wrote: I believe that £20-£25 is a reasonable amount for an adult per day, and maybe £16 per child
But kids go free at both this and RIAT, so by doing that you are actually making it around 4 quid more expensive for a family of 4:
£39 + £39 = £78 for 2 adults and 2 kids
£25 + £25 + £16 + £16 = £82 for the same! :thumb:
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Return to “Scampton”