Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scampton Air Show

Posts relating to information and discussion on the Scampton Airshow
warthog56

Re: Scampton Air Show

Post by warthog56 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi everyone. As someone who bought a ticket just after the show was announced I guess I'll have missed out on the discount - made the annual pilgrimage to Fairford on the Saturday so missed out on the morning fast jets and Midnight Hawks. There's an earlier post on here from me saying that enthusiasts should give this show a chance but I see in another section on here the Sanicole airshow on the same weekend has secured many of the top military teams and soloists. Think the IAT team are going to struggle to get much foreign military hardware to participate and it might be up to UK military to provide some variety even if it is just flypasts from the current types in the inventory. Oh well, there's always hope for a better year (including improved weather) next year...................... At least there's USS George W Bush this weekend (although even the visit to see and photograph it looks as though it may be challenging due to the weather)!

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:15 pm

I was able to book a space on the Gosport Ferry. £10 for a trip out around the carrier. Takes approx. 2hrs. Worth the money I think. I have been to Stokes Bay twice before and have photographed the carrier from the beach but with mixed results, (Haze etc). Looking forward to Saturday anyway. Good luck if you choose to go for a visit.

eagle driver

Post by eagle driver » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Enjoy your day.
Last edited by eagle driver on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Forecast for Lee on the Solent for Saturday is dry and sunny to 16.00 then dry and cloudy so nothing wrong there that i can see. However it may be rather choppy if going out by boat as it's due to be a bit gusty.
Anyway this is a massive thread drift so getting back on subject might be a good idea now.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

warthog56

Post by warthog56 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Cheers everyone. Enjoy the rest of the show season.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:32 pm

sorry for the drift away, not intended to do that. My bad.

Is the Lancaster display curtailed this year due to its late arrival on the show circuit. Love the formation passes with the Spits but would love to see it come past a bit more.

Rory76

Post by Rory76 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:23 pm

peasus911 wrote:sorry for the drift away, not intended to do that. My bad.

Is the Lancaster display curtailed this year due to its late arrival on the show circuit. Love the formation passes with the Spits but would love to see it come past a bit more.
Did quite a few solo passes at Fairford

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Lanc has full pda in its own right as well as in the five ship Thompson display.

Mike

StevenNFFC

Post by StevenNFFC » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:32 am

The price of the tickets for this Air Show are an absolute joke for the return on your investment. With the participation announced so far with a month to go it's not much better than something like Abingdon. That is not any disrespect to Abingdon - they host a nice display but with tickets priced accordingly. £39 for a day ticket is an astonishing amount of money, in my opinion, for a flying display that has very little to offer and a static display that is practically non-existent. If the tickets were priced at say £20-25 then there wouldn't be too much to complain about but the hardware on offer this year is little more than what you see at a Families Day.

Just to try and support what I'm saying a little better, the Families Day at Coningsby in 2016 featured in the flying display:

Typhoon FGR4 Solo Display
Belgian F-16AM Display
BBMF Display
BBMF Flypast with Typhoon
B-25 Flypast with Buchon and Spitfire
2x Wildcat HM.2 - Royal Navy Black Cats Display
AutoGyro Display
Folland Gnat Solo Display
Red Arrows Flypast
Pitts S-2 Special Display
Xtreme Air Display
Avro Anson Display
The Blades Display

On static:

2x RNLAF F-16AM's
2x USAF F-15E's
2x RAF Hawk T2's

Plus a multitude of based jets (including at the time the 8 Sqn Sentry's) and then cockpit sections of various aircraft.

Of course this was not a public event but why should the public pay £39 for a show that is perhaps SLIGHTLY better than the 2016 Coningsby Families Day.

Graham

Post by Graham » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:06 pm

Surprised no one has replied to this, I decided a long time ago not to buy a ticket to see no new aircraft but then the Canadian F18...or maybe 2 got a mention in the static so I have invested a whole £5 in departures day for the chance of maybe photographing something new...if not I'm off to Barkston Heath chasing new Grobs and happy to write off a fiver!

StevenNFFC

Post by StevenNFFC » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:30 pm

Probably a wise decision! Although I've heard unconfirmed reports that some of the flying assets will be based elsewhere - obviously this doesn't apply to the RCAF CF-188's!

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:32 pm

I would be embarrassed with that line up if I was organising it. :blush:

XPLUMBER

Post by XPLUMBER » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:05 am

Well I must agree with various posters, it does seem a lack lustre line-up.

Decided long ago not to go to the show but have purchased tickets for the arrivals on Friday.

I will give it a chance to become established, maybe in a couple of years it will start to be a replacement for the Wonderful RAF Waddington Airshows we all loved.
CANONs carried by an ARMOURER!

hangars are for shirts!

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:27 pm

I hope all the people that say 'I'll give it a year or two to get established' don't moan if/when the show gets cancelled.

If everyone who said i'll leave it for a year or two went this year, I'm pretty sure next years show would be far better.

Our hobby has dwindled massively over the past 20 years, and probably before that as well, lets support what we do have, before we have nothing and we all have to take up golf, or fishing.....

mickfgr2

Post by mickfgr2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:35 pm

GOLF=a good walk spoilt
Fishing = trying to teach maggots to swim
;-)

StevenNFFC

Post by StevenNFFC » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:27 pm

reaper493 wrote: If everyone who said i'll leave it for a year or two went this year, I'm pretty sure next years show would be far better.
Well I for one am not willing to fork out £40 for a ticket to a really underwhelming show in the hope that next year would be better. I'm all for supporting new shows to help them get up and running but that price is unbelievable for the return on your investment.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:26 pm

I hope all the people that say 'I'll give it a year or two to get established' don't moan if/when the show gets cancelled.
Whilst I totally agree with that sentiment, I fear they have priced themselves out of any loyalty they can expect from the enthusiast community, at least for what they are currently offering. My friends and I made Waddington show a yearly pilgrimage from Bournemouth and were willing to do the same for this new show. However 40 quid to get in, plus fuel and hotel costs, for what is a pretty meagre offering content wise just isn't practical. If priced accordingly, say 20-25 quid then I think we'd all be up for it just to support the show through the early years. Hope it's a huge success, I really do so they can build on it but I hope, if there's one of a similar size next year, that they rethink the pricing.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Freeman Lowell

Post by Freeman Lowell » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:53 pm

bizfreeq wrote:I hope, if there's one of a similar size next year, that they rethink the pricing.
Do you think they can afford to? Perhaps the accountants could tell us, but I fear the cost of putting on a show like this necessitates those sorts of prices. If Joe Public is put off as much as the 'enthusiasts' then the show will make a loss and won't continue. That's an observation and not a judgement. I suspect there's one or two on the organising committee checking the insurance that they would have taken out for this eventually... :unsure:
Freeman
It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:06 pm

Freeman Lowell wrote:
bizfreeq wrote:I hope, if there's one of a similar size next year, that they rethink the pricing.
Do you think they can afford to? Perhaps the accountants could tell us, but I fear the cost of putting on a show like this necessitates those sorts of prices. If Joe Public is put off as much as the 'enthusiasts' then the show will make a loss and won't continue. That's an observation and not a judgement. I suspect there's one or two on the organising committee checking the insurance that they would have taken out for this eventually... :unsure:
Freeman
Look up the accounts for RIAT, and see the wage bill. Thats why tickets prices are so high.

andrewn

Post by andrewn » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm caught between the two points of view here. On the one hand I want the show to be a success, and I bought my ticket yonks ago and therefore will be going come what may. On the other it does seem a very poor (half hearted) attempt at an airshow by RAFCTE/DBH, which on the face of it appears poor value for money.

But then I think of the numerous £30/40/50's I've handed out to see a paltry collection of not always very interesting planes lined up on the ground, and sometimes in the cold and dark. And that makes £39 for an airshow, flying and static with (apparently) ~100 aircraft in total, seem not to bad really.

To be honest, for me, the weather will make or break it - so here's hoping for some Sun :)

Return to “Scampton”