Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Biggin Hill

Post information on other airshows and events here.
markranger

Biggin Hill

Post by markranger » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:49 am

Looks like a cracker this year.

Front Line wise.

Typhoon
Tornado Role Demo
F16
VC10
Harrier (TBC)

Rafale on Static.

http://www.bigginhillairfair.co.uk/this ... y-aircraft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And all for £18 in Advance.

Well Done Biggin Hill.

Mark.
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

the beast

Re: Biggin Hill

Post by the beast » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:23 pm

harrier confirmed flying both days :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

http://www.bigginhillairfair.co.uk/news ... ng-display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thanks!
James
____________________________________________________________________________________

daz greenwood

Post by daz greenwood » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:58 pm

Looking forwards to this weekend, it's a cracking line-up :)

Focal_Plane

Post by Focal_Plane » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi guys,

Thinking of going for this one due to the Battle of Britain Anniversary connection, but I haven`t been here before and its a long trip for me.

Just wondering what its like for ground shots and if anyone can confirm you`re shooting largely into light for the flying. The runway orientation seems to show this would be the case?

MTIA

John

Nike55

Post by Nike55 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:30 pm

Orientation of active runway does put sun in your eyes. Back in the day it always used to be wet and overcast so never an issue!

If still allowed, you could stand outside the base at the end of the runway on the main Westerham Road. Good for final approach shots (right to left) with sun behind you. Another alternative is to base yourself toward the far end of the active runway (Orpington end) about three quarters of the way down, no crowds and quite a few aircraft turn in (or out) for their display runs.

(Apparently there are 2 x Gnats displaynig this year - 600mm lens needed as a minimum!)

MacksAviation

Post by MacksAviation » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Guys,

Using the image below from google maps can some one point me in the direction of where the crowd line, static and flying display aircraft will be located.

My first Biggin Hill and need to get by bearings before Saturday.

Thanks

Dave

MacksAviation

Post by MacksAviation » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:24 pm

Opps A bit more digging and I found this :-)

Hope this helps others as well

Looking at the North Direction Arrow on this map unless your on the outside the sun should surely be on your back moving to the left of your face towards the end of the day. Unless my NESW directions are on the blink.

Dave

Nike55

Post by Nike55 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:00 pm

Dave, you are aware the sun setts slightly further north of west at this time of year and will certainly come into play as it tracks. I think the schematic is also out by a few degrees. From experience you can expect the sun to be in your face all afternoon when viewing aircraft running in toward 03/21, which is also the preferred landing direction. Not too much of an issue as the sun is quite high so aircraft running in low/landing shouldn't be too bad. Expect anything, (i.e. everything) displaying directly above to become an issue in that western quarter of the sky if no cloud - but Biggin has its own weather system.

If its your first time beware of picking out what seems to be a nice spot on the crowd line between tannoy speaker poles and listless air cadets, as they will inevitably park something silly in the way, (Lanc, B17 etc).

A lens hood will spare you unwanted flare, but the light becomes trying after several hours of contra-jour. If this weather holds expect the usual intense refraction from grass/tarmac. It can be quite fierce.

Leaving the airfield for the main road for a couple of hours with the sun to your back makes a useful break. You used to be able to gain readmission if you kept your ticket - but check first.

I don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs but a handy hint would be to get in early for the static shots, before those enthusiast types with ladders and alloy boxes to stand on get in your way!

MacksAviation

Post by MacksAviation » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:23 am

Nike55 wrote:Dave, you are aware the sun setts slightly further north of west at this time of year and will certainly come into play as it tracks. I think the schematic is also out by a few degrees. From experience you can expect the sun to be in your face all afternoon when viewing aircraft running in toward 03/21, which is also the preferred landing direction. Not too much of an issue as the sun is quite high so aircraft running in low/landing shouldn't be too bad. Expect anything, (i.e. everything) displaying directly above to become an issue in that western quarter of the sky if no cloud - but Biggin has its own weather system.

If its your first time beware of picking out what seems to be a nice spot on the crowd line between tannoy speaker poles and listless air cadets, as they will inevitably park something silly in the way, (Lanc, B17 etc).

A lens hood will spare you unwanted flare, but the light becomes trying after several hours of contra-jour. If this weather holds expect the usual intense refraction from grass/tarmac. It can be quite fierce.

Leaving the airfield for the main road for a couple of hours with the sun to your back makes a useful break. You used to be able to gain readmission if you kept your ticket - but check first.

I don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs but a handy hint would be to get in early for the static shots, before those enthusiast types with ladders and alloy boxes to stand on get in your way!
Perfect thanks for the advice it is indeed my first Biggin Hill.

It might be time to try something different if the sun is going to be an issue and I can't get 'the otherside' but I'm up for a challenge.

Thanks Again

Dave

LN Strike Eagle

Post by LN Strike Eagle » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:49 pm

You get a few hours of good light at Biggin, before it starts to become a pain. Looking at my photos from 2006, this is what you can expect for the first third of the display...

As the sun moves around, it ends up getting progressively worse...

the beast

Post by the beast » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:24 pm

hi all,

me and my mate are planning on going to the biggin air show on Sunday, i was wondering if anyone could help us out. We are both 15 and don't really fancy paying full price! I am asking if anyone planning to go on Sunday any time between 10.30/11.30 and wouldn't mind if we walk in with you (as long as you are over 18!) and therefore we get in free with a paying adult. in return we are happy to pay £6 towards your ticket, therefore saving us both money!

thanks guys
james
Last edited by the beast on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thanks!
James
____________________________________________________________________________________

Focal_Plane

Post by Focal_Plane » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my enquiry regarding photography.

Regards

John

headset 57

Post by headset 57 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:07 pm

So far:

XS674 Wessex
XV726 Wessex
R11 61-MF C160T FAF1745
320 113HV Rafale FAF7401
FA103 F16 BAF495
0209 ZPL M28 PFL240

the beast

Post by the beast » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:30 pm

EDIT - Now visiting Sunday!
thanks!
James

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”