Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Radio noise

Please post movements and activities for RNAS Culdrose and Predannack here
DaveG

Radio noise

Post by DaveG » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Anyone in the Helston area currently getting bad interference on all freq's ? Really having a problem at the moment. (time of post)
Running SBS-3 & Planeplotter code: F4
Cornwall, near EGDR

buzzer

Re: Radio noise

Post by buzzer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:57 pm

DaveG wrote:Anyone in the Helston area currently getting bad interference on all freq's ? Really having a problem at the moment. (time of post)
Yes.well sort of!driving back towards helston with box on in the van, somthing keep braking through on most channels. So turned it of thinking I wasn't going to miss much looking at the weather! !
One thing I did note when passing the fire station the other afternoon mind, was the close call went of. Someone using morse in the ham band! Must be a powerful enough set up to kick the close call of? !! I know your not to fare from there? ? Could this be the source of your interference?

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:19 pm

Cheers for reply, no idea, narrowed it down to noise every 15kHz through who spectrum, so I'm thinking PSU playing up either in my house or one of next doors. At least as a first guess. So tomorrow it will be power to house off and check with 3500xlt see if its still there or not, if not, then its turn things all off and on one at a time :-(
Cornwall, near EGDR

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:21 pm

I've got a pro 43 scanner and a sky scan mobile antenna and I'm still picking naff all up in the plymouth area! (Aircraft wise that is)

Any ideas.....

ACLVC10

buzzer

Post by buzzer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:28 pm

ACLVC10 wrote:I've got a pro 43 scanner and a sky scan mobile antenna and I'm still picking naff all up in the plymouth area! (Aircraft wise that is)

Any ideas..
ACLVC10
Where in Plymouth? If your low down then reseption going to be your bigest pronlem.line of site is rule of thumb with going reseption ;)
You should still get plymouth mill and maybe even Culdrose?? Ive been on the high ground around st austral and had Culdrose booming in 5 bar and clear as a bell. Reassion being. No land mass to get in the way. :D

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:37 pm

I'm in Efford in Plymouth but I just don't seem to be able to get anything aviation based!! :( only darn shipping stuff :(:(

ACLVC10

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi Dave (& everyone),
Just a quick thought - has it perhaps got anything to do with solar activity messing up the airwaves - this can sometimes be caused by when the sun is actively sending out solar flares etc, then it all goes back to normal when the activity dies down!!?? --Paul :thumb:

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Aircraftpaulcornwall wrote:Hi Dave (& everyone),
Just a quick thought - has it perhaps got anything to do with solar activity messing up the airwaves - this can sometimes be caused by when the sun is actively sending out solar flares etc, then it all goes back to normal when the activity dies down!!?? --Paul :thumb:
Does that explain me getting naff all in plymouth then??

ACLVC10

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi ACLVC10,
Sorry mate, I have no idea and I am certainly no expert in this field! - I only thought of it earlier this evening after reading of Dave's and other's difficulties with their radio reception!! --Paul :unsure:

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Aircraftpaulcornwall wrote:Hi ACLVC10,
Sorry mate, I have no idea and I am certainly no expert in this field! - I only thought of it earlier this evening after reading of Dave's and other's difficulties with their radio reception!! --Paul :unsure:
No problem Paul

Andy

ACLVC10

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Thu May 01, 2014 6:13 am

Hi Paul,

Na think its more man made noise, either very local (within a house or two) or something strong over industrial estate. Its more than likely a duff switch mode power supply, but its finding it and with luck its in this house.
Cornwall, near EGDR

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 am

ACLVC10 wrote:

ACLVC10
You'd have been better create a post of your own with a title related to your issue. But your setup is portable and as such will have reduced range over desktops and fixed antennas. I'd suggest first try take the car to a high point, make sure the sky scan base is on a metal surface. Tune around and see what you get. For frequencies, look at the top right of this site, you'll find a link to MilScanners, try a search for Plymouth see what comes up.

Dave
Cornwall, near EGDR

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:03 am

DaveG wrote:
ACLVC10 wrote:

ACLVC10
You'd have been better create a post of your own with a title related to your issue. But your setup is portable and as such will have reduced range over desktops and fixed antennas. I'd suggest first try take the car to a high point, make sure the sky scan base is on a metal surface. Tune around and see what you get. For frequencies, look at the top right of this site, you'll find a link to MilScanners, try a search for Plymouth see what comes up.

Dave
Many thanks for the advice Dave

ACLVC10

buzzer

Post by buzzer » Thu May 01, 2014 7:48 am

Im listing to amber 3 ( Cobham falcon 20) working plymouth mill right now. And im in Newquay parked up in in the van? !! So you should be getting somthing.
S dave says start another post and we'll see id we can help. ;)

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:02 am

buzzer wrote:Im listing to amber 3 ( Cobham falcon 20) working plymouth mill right now. And im in Newquay parked up in in the van? !! So you should be getting somthing.
S dave says start another post and we'll see id we can help. ;)
I'm getting nothing aviation based, all I seem to be getting is some harbour master type frequency, telling the ships where there docking etc and I don't want that!! :( all I want is aviation frequencies, I have a feeling I gunna have to rig my aerial up in the loft to get some height tonight?? The scanner works so it's not that...... Trial and error I suppose??? Is a Realistic Pro 43 scanner good enough to be picking up what I need???

ACLVC10

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Thu May 01, 2014 3:38 pm

How have you got the antenna base sitting, is it on a metal surface or on a desk? Take it you have the magnetic version, if so you need to have a metal grounding, like a metal biscuit tin. Yes the Pro 43 will pick up the freq.'s your after, but on that...

How are you trying to listen, scanning known freq's or scanning the whole band? Try entering only known freq.'s into one of the memory banks and only scanning that bank. or if you do not know how to do that, tune to Plymouth Mil, sit back and see if you hear anything.
Cornwall, near EGDR

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:56 pm

DaveG wrote:How have you got the antenna base sitting, is it on a metal surface or on a desk? Take it you have the magnetic version, if so you need to have a metal grounding, like a metal biscuit tin. Yes the Pro 43 will pick up the freq.'s your after, but on that...

How are you trying to listen, scanning known freq's or scanning the whole band? Try entering only known freq.'s into one of the memory banks and only scanning that bank. or if you do not know how to do that, tune to Plymouth Mil, sit back and see if you hear anything.
Many thanks for your advice Dave, I will try a biscuit tin tonight(yes mine has a magnetic base) and stick to one frequency and see what happens, is there any particular frequency that gets the most use?

ACLVC10

EGDR

Post by EGDR » Thu May 01, 2014 4:28 pm

ACLVC10 wrote:
DaveG wrote:How have you got the antenna base sitting, is it on a metal surface or on a desk? Take it you have the magnetic version, if so you need to have a metal grounding, like a metal biscuit tin. Yes the Pro 43 will pick up the freq.'s your after, but on that...

Many thanks for your advice Dave, I will try a biscuit tin tonight(yes mine has a magnetic base) and stick to one frequency and see what happens, is there any particular frequency that gets the most use?

ACLVC10
You could try Plymouth Mil on 121.250, or for Civvy there is 132.950 (which is active almost 24/7) which will give you overhead airliners. :thumb:

POL

Post by POL » Thu May 01, 2014 4:33 pm

Choose a freq that is often active, to give you an idea. A civil airway frequency would be good.

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Cheers guys, thanks for all your advice, I will be listening out tonight, wish me luck..... I may need it.....:)

ACLVC10

Return to “RNAS Culdrose & Predannack”