Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

'Old style' Sea King in area!

Please post movements and activities for RNAS Culdrose and Predannack here
Aircraftpaulcornwall

'Old style' Sea King in area!

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi all,
A quick heads-up - by chance I've just spotted an old style Sea King (with the domed radar behind the rotor assembly) moving NE/SW to the north of here at around 1000ft, heading down towards the CU area. White strobe fore, and red strobe aft, also could see static red port light on lower mid part of fuselage. The engine noise was not quite the same as the usual 771Sqn/ASAC ones that we are used to. Not sure where it's come from - got the nokkies out to have a geek!! Keep a good look out!! --Paul :thumb:

Nick.M

Re: 'Old style' Sea King in area!

Post by Nick.M » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:28 pm

If it's not 771 perhaps it's an RAF cab? Junglies & Asacs don't have them.
Surprised you can differentiate engine noise between Sea King mks though!?

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi Nick.M,
Yes, I understand what you are saying, but this one did sound different and it did have the domed radome behind the engine assembly that we used to see years and years ago. You may well be right in that it could have been an RAF one (but it was grey as I saw it, and not yellow as the RAF one would be!!), although of course, it was getting dark at the time and it was all of at least 2 miles away. I am also a bit surprised that no-one else saw it at the same time, or shortly after --Paul :thumb:
Last edited by Aircraftpaulcornwall on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick.M

Post by Nick.M » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:31 am

Maybe it was the Boscombe Down cab around for trials work perhaps which is an all over grey, that one has a dome on it's back.

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:35 am

Hi Nick.M,
Yes, many thanks - that may well be the one concerned in that case - it would tie in well!! --Paul :thumb:

Return to “RNAS Culdrose & Predannack”